Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

MMO Mice Recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    One thing I can never get behind is a mouse with a tonne of buttons, especially the mmo ones that have 12 or more. That's just me however and I know a lot of people dig using such as mouse since it can also enable playing with one hand comfortably.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Neurath wrote: »
    Is it easy to circle a target with a Tartarus? I am considering a purchase but, if you can't strafe around a target I'll stick with my current setup. I'd get the Tartarus to go alongside my Naga Chroma.

By circle I mean always moving to stay behind a target...its my PvP style in duels and 1vs1 for when I'm Melee. I'm used to dual thumb sticks on controllers, not sure about a solo thumb stick.

If you're using the d-pad to control your character like I am there is a bit of a learning curve as the d-pad is slightly off-centre. You'll need to practice a bit to go consistently in a straight line. Aside from that though it's really easy to use.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    If you're using the d-pad to control your character like I am there is a bit of a learning curve as the d-pad is slightly off-centre. You'll need to practice a bit to go consistently in a straight line. Aside from that though it's really easy to use.

Okay mate, I've read some reviews and will either get my brother to modify the d-pad for an analog stick, or, run the WASD in the central area and use the d-pad for 8 button presses (Not for movement). I accidentally bought the Pro version but the switch activations are faster. I will see what I'm most comfortable with and determine the setup when I can get in game. :)

I won't use the double use functions for the Pro though, but, I will reduce the key activation to the highest preset possible for faster activation. Don't need a double press per button. I've heard the double press isn't too good anyway.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mowaby wrote: »
    I just ordered one. There was something similar that I never used back when I played UO. I am going to give the keypad a shot now because I like my g pro wireless more than my corsair scimitar. I will have to see how it fits on my desk too...

Yeah, sounds excellent mate. I've ordered The Huntsman Elite too. My current Logitech Keyboard is longer due to Macro Keys. I never use the Macro Keys so the space is wasted space. I should be able to sort the space out quite well indeed.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Looch_Looch_ Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For me personally I have tried "mmo" mice with tons of side buttons but I always found the buttons too small and ended up pressing multiple buttons at the same time, which causes a ton of issues.

So instead I went the other route. I have a standard gaming mouse (the Steelseries Rival 310) and a Razer Tartarus V2 gamepad.

77d1ef618adb55c26d58b7d220c9c29d29b7b402.png

The main advantage of the gamepad as opposed to a normal keyboard is the added scroll wheel and d-pad for the thumb. Usually on a keyboard my thumb rests rather uselessly on the space bar, whereas with the gamepad there are far more things you can do with it. I control my character with the d-pad leaving more accessible buttons open on my fingers for my abilities. The added scroll-wheel can be bound to anything so I usually use it for target selection. It's very handy.

I need to try this. Hard to get away from my keyboard. What do you jump with? 20? I feel like jumping puzzles could get tricky on that.

I am using the Wireless Razer Naga Pro Trinity and its been great. Just a few hurdles. The 12 buttons are small. You also have to pinky grip the mouse which takes a bit of getting used to. But for an MMO mouse with customization I am not sure you can find better.
  • Options
    So my setup is complete. It is much better turning on the Dpad, much faster response and swifter direction changes. Haven't worked out whether I will strafe with it yet though. The Huntsman Elite is perfect too. I have the setup in perfect harmony and in the perfect positions. Pleased I took the plunge and gone full Razer for Peripherals.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    PollexTroy wrote: »
    For me personally I have tried "mmo" mice with tons of side buttons but I always found the buttons too small and ended up pressing multiple buttons at the same time, which causes a ton of issues.

So instead I went the other route. I have a standard gaming mouse (the Steelseries Rival 310) and a Razer Tartarus V2 gamepad.

The main advantage of the gamepad as opposed to a normal keyboard is the added scroll wheel and d-pad for the thumb. Usually on a keyboard my thumb rests rather uselessly on the space bar, whereas with the gamepad there are far more things you can do with it. I control my character with the d-pad leaving more accessible buttons open on my fingers for my abilities. The added scroll-wheel can be bound to anything so I usually use it for target selection. It's very handy.

I need to try this. Hard to get away from my keyboard. What do you jump with? 20? I feel like jumping puzzles could get tricky on that.

I am using the Wireless Razer Naga Pro Trinity and its been great. Just a few hurdles. The 12 buttons are small. You also have to pinky grip the mouse which takes a bit of getting used to. But for an MMO mouse with customization I am not sure you can find better.

Yes, if you use the d-pad to move then jumping puzzles can get pretty hard. I personally use the scroll wheel on the Taurus to jump and that works fine for what I'm doing in wow classic.

If I want to do soon real jumping puzzles or similar, I just use my normal keyboard
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter

I'd imagine you'd map one of the main keys to jump, it is fully remappable after all.
  • Options
    VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The only good 12 thumb button MMO mouse on the market IMO right now is the Corsair Scimitar.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ah, back in the day with L2, a mouse in right hand, nostromo in the left. And that nostromo was so well setup that during intense pvp or pve the keys were depressed akin to piano concert concerto!
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The little button above the joy stick is default space bar for jump.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    TimeraiderTimeraider Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Corsair Scimitar here, love that baby
    SoulfulDisastrousIrukandjijellyfish-small.gif
    A being can not judge light if he has never seen it, neither can he judge darkness if he never has been it
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    My Naga has 19 programmable buttons. I considered the Corsair Scimitar after it was mentioned (to use when my Naga dies) but, I would need 19 Programmable buttons and Corsair Scimitar just doesn't cut the mustard for me (Corsair Scimitar has 17 Programmable buttons). I will most likely have to get a newer Razer Mouse with the transferable thumb plates. Not my favourite concept and I hope my naga lasts a few years more.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

@PollexTroy I personally have jump bound to key 19 and press it with my index finger. That way I can still be moving around while I jump. Key 20 I have bound to my mount.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    AaxcAaxc Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Jump is and always should be the space bar. Period.
  • Options
    You ALL missed the obvious choice.....it's of course @daveywavey (this will be the ONLY time he gets away with this distinction though ;) )
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    You ALL missed the obvious choice.....it's of course @daveywavey (this will be the ONLY time he gets away with this distinction though ;) )

I knew you cared, really! <3<3<3
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

I knew you cared, really! <3<3<3

Now, now, no need to get all mushy. You are still a part of the brotherhood after all (although a weaker, smaller version). Plus there is ALWAYS a need to keep someone around to throw to the wolves should they be nipping at your heels :o
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    CasForeldaCasForelda Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Personally I use a Logitech G600 for GW2 and it affords me access to ell of the skills/keys my left hand cannot easily reach. G9-G14 are used for 6-(-), and G15-G20 are for mount swapping. I also use the second right click for dodging.

If you can get used to it, a razer Tartarus/Orbweaver for your left hand could also be useful.
  • Options
    one that doesn't squeak or bite
  • Options
    Plus there is ALWAYS a need to keep someone around to throw to the wolves should they be nipping at your heels :o

Hahaha, I've already told my guild that the strongest part of my PvP game is as the cannon fodder. :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    So my Razer Chroma has finally started to deteriorate (Tracking issues). I've had to buy a Razer Chroma Triniti and I hope that lasts at least 7 years too.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Nice thing about the Trinity is you can swap out the three different side panels for two side buttons, seven side buttons or 12 side buttons. Means you can easily swap out the mouse configuration based on the game.

My long time set up was the Tartarus, Naga and one of their macro keyboards. I just wish Razer had better quality control. Lately I am using a Harpoon with a simple Razer keyboard.

My advice for Razer products is to have backups and the budget for replacements. Part of it is build quality, part is software, part is Microsoft Windows. Now granted, I am a bit hard on my equipment. I’ve worn out the ASWD keys on so many keyboards, especially the A key.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2021
    I am still rocking my Belkin n52te keypad, that I have used for years and years. But I do need a new mouse.

I have the discontinued Madcatz M.M.O 7 one now, with a broken scrollwheel, but I absolutely love the button layout on it. I want to find one with a similar thumbstick on the side at the very least. Anyone know a good one?
    hdgyp0B.jpg
  • Options
    That mouse looks more like a Transformer than a mouse lol. On the plus side, my Trinity provides much greater control with the update sensor. I do not regret the purchase.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ah, the Belkin n52te such an awesome tool!
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'll have to agree with @Vhaeyne on this. I used Razor Naga's for over a decade. They seem to be going down in quality.

I switched over to the G600 about a year ago and its much better in quality. I love the extra 3rd ring finger button as well. I use it for my push to talk on discord :). I tend to use Alt (thumb) and Shift (pinky) modifiers from my left hand for an additional 24 buttons on my right hand.

I also prefer a split ergonomic keyboard over the left hand pad. Its got more buttons that way. I tend to play with esdf rather thank wasd for movement as well. Better positioning to all of the buttons on the left half of the keyboard.
  • Options
    Ive had the Naga trinity for two yrs now with no issues. Really good mouse
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Saedu

Glad someone understands. I can't stress how hesitant I was to switch to Logitech over razor when I had a whole suite of matching stuff that all worked well at one time. It took years of loss of functionality and more and more invasive software to wake me up to the fact that razor is on the decline.

These days I rock a hand made keeb with QMK and the g600. The only thing that would make me ditch the g600 is if I made my own 3D-printed MMO mouse using QMK and a Teensey. Something that is possible, but a project I have not been motivated to take on.

I have put thought towards a split keeb myself. I even printed out an Ergodox shell for a friend. I can see the benefits, but I just have not been motivated to make the switch. Maybe some day I will see the light.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'll give the Razer Naga X a shot and see if it works for me. I currently use finger grip on my Madcatz mouse, and will have to get used to a claw grip on the naga x. I did seriously consider the G600 as well.