Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Siege abuse?

GrumpyratGrumpyrat Member
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
I haven't read much of the forums so forgive me if It's been answered but... Say one node is going to declare a siege on a neighboring node and that neighboring node hears about it and decides to declare war on the original node to save their own. Will node sieges go both ways to avoid abuse of nodes by declaring sieges just to save their own?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    I believe once a node is declared war on, they enter preparation state. I do not think the preparation state will allow the under threat node to declare war on the threatening node. However, an allied node could use the opportunity to declare on the threatening node and a triangle might be possible.

Any siege abuses will be noted and dealt with through testing though.

Edit: The Devs and Steven want there to be espionage though. If a node gets wind of a forth coming siege, they could declare war first. It would be fair game.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yeah that makes sense I think espionage would be an awesome thing to happen. Although a fault I see with the node sieges is resources being locked in storage. declaring a siege against a more powerful node when you know they're about to attack the weaker one just to be able to move the resources.

Overall I'm super excited about the game & that's a tight rope. Because on one hand its all fair with espionage but kind of cheesey at the same time
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I've reflected a little. I think a triangle won't be possible. I think a Node War can only be two way because once a Node War is declared, both Nodes are in a state of war. I'm not sure if the system will have the scope to put pressure on the attackers by allowing the attacking node to face a siege at the same time as the first siege.

Edit: Moving resources would require Caravans and blockades could be made to plunder any Caravans prior to a siege event.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited February 2021
    Neurath wrote: »
    I've reflected a little. I think a triangle won't be possible. I think a Node War can only be two way because once a Node War is declared, both Nodes are in a state of war. I'm not sure if the system will have the scope to put pressure on the attackers by allowing the attacking node to face a siege at the same time as the first siege.

node wars and node sieges are completely different things
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I thought you have to be at war in order to siege a node? If you aren't at war, that means anything could happen. You could effectively just siege a node at any time without giving warning and without the possibility of counter measures except for the short window before the siege.

Edit: You can triangle a node war then, but, you can't triangle a node siege. Anyone can declare a Node Siege. In effect you can be in a Node War, piss off the wrong Guild and then the Guild will Siege your Node. Espionage and diplomacy will be even more vital.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Also, Node Sieges aren't declared by an attacking node. They do not have any link to any specific node as an attacker.

Node Sieges are declared by single individuals, that could very well be without Node Citizenship.

There is no "attacking node". There might be a lot of people from a single node joining the attack.

If the node of these people gets a siege declared on them for the same day, then they'd have to choose whether they want to attack the other node or defend their own
  • Options
    I thought you have to be at war in order to siege a node? If you aren't at war, that means anything could happen. You could effectively just siege a node at any time without giving warning and without the possibility of counter measures except for the short window before the siege.

Edit: You can triangle a node war then, but, you can't triangle a node siege. Anyone can declare a Node Siege. In effect you can be in a Node War, piss off the wrong Guild and then the Guild will Siege your Node. Espionage and diplomacy will be even more vital.

apart from the weeks of preperation it requires to craft a siege flag, yes
  • Options
    yeah, I'm reviewing Jahlon's Video on the subject. You could be in a Node War and it escalates to a Node Siege though. It might be unrelated but it could also be related. If my Guild is in a Node War, my Guild would then prepare to hit the opposite node in the roots and siege the node.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    apart from the weeks of preperation it requires to craft a siege flag, yes

Yeah, no worries mate. We are now equal on the rectification front ;)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I think the important piece of information missing here is that nodes don't declare sieges on other nodes.

Individual players do that.

Since nodes are generally going to be fairly lose in terms of structure and command, it is far more likely that node sieges will be declared by guilds and alliances than by nodes.

As soon as you make the mental connection that node sieges are not declared by other nodes, but by players, the entire question kind of fizzles away.
  • Options
    Yeah, I thank you for the clarifications Noaani, I forgot the fundamentals in this instance. It is difficult for me to recall whole game concepts unless I'm in the game. It won't be my last mistake but it was a rough mistake. All the best, Neu.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Grumpyrat wrote: »
    I haven't read much of the forums so forgive me if It's been answered but... Say one node is going to declare a siege on a neighboring node and that neighboring node hears about it and decides to declare war on the original node to save their own. Will node sieges go both ways to avoid abuse of nodes by declaring sieges just to save their own?

This is answered in the Q&A on youtube. If someone declares a siege on a node to save it from getting sieged anyone can join that siege and a siege scroll would be consumed. So the people that wanted to siege now get to do it at a discount.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yeah, I thank you for the clarifications Noaani, I forgot the fundamentals in this instance. It is difficult for me to recall whole game concepts unless I'm in the game. It won't be my last mistake but it was a rough mistake. All the best, Neu.

Honestly, I found myself sitting there for a few minutes knowing something wasn't adding up, but not being able to figure out what. The thread starting out with the premise that nodes declare sieges on nodes (which is inherently intuitive to a point) threw me off for a bit.
  • Options
    Hiya! As a few other folks have noted above, please keep in mind that it's not nodes that are declaring sieges on other nodes; it's an individual player (perhaps as part of a guild, alliance, or rival node) that will choose to activate a siege scroll - so in that sense, there is no "attacking node" as it relates to a node siege. You can check out a bit more on our team's plans for this system and how folks can sign up for either side of a siege on the helpful community-run wiki here.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit further! <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looks like another element adapted from L2, awesome!

Is there going to be a dashboard and/or some means to monitor either all or individual conflict status ?
  • Options
    I would love to see a mobile app that does something like this for Node status and wars etc.

https://wvwintel.com/#1018