Ability to ignore thread or mark thread as read from the thread list.

I tend to only look at the "Recent Discussion" category to make sure that I stay up-to-date on all the new posts... however there are some threads such as the Tab Targeting vs Action Combat that have quite literally been driven into the ground and is basically nothing more than bickering between a few people.

So I would like a way to either completely ignore those threads and not have them show on my "recent discussion" list or at least be able to quick mark them as being read without having to actually open up those threads.

Comments

• AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    I'm not aware of any way to ignore a thread or category out right, but if you go to the categories page you can use the gear icon to mark the whole category as read.
    k2U15J3.png
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What a silly thing to complain about lol
  • I'd love this!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Azryil wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any way to ignore a thread or category out right, but if you go to the categories page you can use the gear icon to mark the whole category as read.

Aye, reason I brought it up since I also did not see anyway of doing so. Most the forums I have used have the ability to do so with checkboxes to the side of the main thread list or an anchor to mark it as read.

Sadly, marking a whole category would not work cause the categories are so few and the threads I tend to want to ignore are all in the same category (general discussions) but most of the threads that are worth while are also in the same category.

May be silly to complain about, but its also something I bet those saying as such would actually use if implemented.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ostaff wrote: »
    Sadly, marking a whole category would not work cause the categories are so few and the threads I tend to want to ignore are all in the same category (general discussions) but most of the threads that are worth while are also in the same category.
    Yea, I normally end up going through the threads that look interesting to me and marking the rest of the category as read.

k2U15J3.png
  • edited March 2021
    interesting idea but, why not just use the bookmark feature (star to the right of thread title) or an option to follow threads to prioritize your thread options.
    Focused discussion threads can be quite useful to eliminate clutter of repeatable threads around similar idea's.
    Perhaps asks mods for specific subjects to discuss that the Dev's do not already have posted.

More focused categories to post under would be a good option too versus a massive general discussion stream of threads resurfacing.
  • interesting idea but, why not just use the bookmark feature (star to the right of thread title) or an option to follow threads to prioritize your thread options.
    Focused discussion threads can be quite useful to eliminate clutter of repeatable threads around similar idea's.
    Perhaps asks mods for specific subjects to discuss that the Dev's do not already have posted.

More focused categories to post under would be a good option too versus a massive general discussion stream of threads resurfacing.

Aye, having more categories would definitely be helpful. At the current, I think I will do what Azryil suggested and read what I want then mark the entire category as read afterward.
  • that's a good option too :)
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    You can always just ignore those threads manually - by ignoring them.
  • OstaffOstaff Member
    edited March 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    You can always just ignore those threads manually - by ignoring them.

Kinda missing my point though. I recognize new messages to read by the Red Flag as it is the eye catcher. So having messages with the read flag in my list drives me crazy. It's not a game changer, its just a simple QoL for the forums.

And yes, that is exactly what I had been doing.. trying to manually ignoring them. However, marking all read in a category helps me keep that list a lot cleaner
    Kinda missing my point though.
    Not missing your point, pointing out how small of a point it is.

In my opinion, this is not something that anyone should ever pay another human to fix - it is that trivial.
  • Ostaff wrote: »
    So having messages with the read flag in my list drives me crazy.

YES! And every time you go through and click them all, someone comments on something! GYAAARGGH!!!

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
    daveywavey wrote: »

YES! And every time you go through and click them all, someone comments on something! GYAAARGGH!!!

Don't you hate it when people post in a thread you have read, just to throw up that flag?
  • Noaani wrote: »

Don't you hate it when people post in a thread you have read, just to throw up that flag?

And when they tag you in it as well, so you get the little notification too! :D:D:D

Noaani wrote: »

And when they tag you in it as well, so you get the little notification too! :D:D:D

What I hate even more than this is when there is a thread you are interested in that dies down a bit, then when the thread is on the second page, someone replies with some meaningless post that you end up reading because the thread is now marked with that red flag.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    I just use the bookmark system to get around it