Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Charity Donation System, for IRL donations. You play game to give IRL $ to IRL charities

LittleLightzLittleLightz Member
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
1)

I hope there is alot of kindness, generosity, and loveing kindness you can do in-game.

Exsample, give gifts to random people in game with just the game elements. Like currency or free mounts to others who are just starting out.

2) or make a charity foundation in game for people in need. Oooh! We could set up a donation thing in game, that allows you to donate to charities through playing the game, say, thirty minutes donates ten dollars of your money to charities just to play the game. (Say like, 100% of it goes to charities,
Also, go the playing the game to give money to charities, we could give to the cancer stuff or the Stollery
Stallery
That how you say it, idk
We could do it once a month for raising money in game for the real world and raising money we could do it monthly
And have once a month a big turnout for like playing this many hours to donate this much amount of money that you can give
We would as players though give our own money so if you can only give one dollar an hour or 30 minutes of playtime that's okay if you give $10 an hour of playing that's okay

3) and, another idea is we could do a building competition and donate the comparison money in-game to players just starting out, and the whole community could help players who just joined to give them starting tools and stuff. (Make sure that we only give it to LVL 1-3 characters, so we don't get tricked or something..) Another idea is to give in-game currency to other players who need jobs, we could pay each other in-game (w the fake money) jobs,

Comments

• I want something that can brighten people's days in game, not only with real people, but to also do it in the to storytelling aspect to
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I want something that can brighten people's days in game, not only with real people, but to also do it in the to storytelling aspect to

While this is a good thing to want, if you need something to brighten up your day that giving to charity can provide, don't go looking for it in an MMO - just donate to charity, either money or time as best fits their needs and your means.

Then ,when you are finished, you can come back and load up your MMO of choice, starting the game having already had your day brightened up.
  • LittleLightzLittleLightz Member
    edited July 2021
    Thanky
  • Noaani wrote: »
    I want something that can brighten people's days in game, not only with real people, but to also do it in the to storytelling aspect to

While this is a good thing to want, if you need something to brighten up your day that giving to charity can provide, don't go looking for it in an MMO - just donate to charity, either money or time as best fits their needs and your means.

Then ,when you are finished, you can come back and load up your MMO of choice, starting the game having already had your day brightened up.

Yes, I agree, thank-you. How would you recommend I do it here? I not necessarily want to brighten my day, but the days of others
    If you want to brighten up someone's day, the best thing to do is to be friendly.
    edited July 2021
    Ah ok, thank-you! I really appreciate. I keep forgetting the word. SIMPLE. Simple things lead to great things
  • Is there a way tho, that would enable us to be more friendly towards others. Like exsample, give donations in game to other players who require assistance in game. So exsample. They need a mount, would there be a way to help them achieve that, or a way to help them get a job? Or maybe we could have an in-game trade system that would allow us to help oneanother
    There is a trade system in the game.

If you have a thing you don't need, you can give it to someone else.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021
    Or you can go and donate real money to people in real need without the roundabout.
    Cash shop items wont be tradable. I hope you can deal with it.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I need money
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited July 2021
    I also believe it's probably a better idea to donate to charities IRL rather than trying to run a charity in-game.

MMO players aren't exactly famous for their honesty. If you run an in-game give-away that gives anything of non-trivial value, it's almost guaranteed that someone will create fake-noob alts and try to scam you of your donations. (Well that's what Eve Online has taught me. While I've never been a victim of one, scams & backstabs are an daily occurrence in Eve)

If you insist on spreading kindness in-game and want to help out others (especially new players) in game, I'd suggest you load up on information about Ashes, then create an FAQ-for-new-players forum thread, or ashes wiki page, and may be run an in-game chat channel when the game's released, answer new players' questions and point them in the right directions.

IMO from a new player's perspective, receiving useful tips (from experienced players) on how to achieve their goals in-game is almost always more useful then simply receiving a material (ok, virtual material) gift.
  • Or you can go and donate real money to people in real need without the roundabout.
    Cash shop items wont be tradable. I hope you can deal with it.
    I also believe it's probably a better idea to donate to charities IRL rather than trying to run a charity in-game.

MMO players aren't exactly famous for their honesty. If you run an in-game give-away that gives anything of non-trivial value, it's almost guaranteed that someone will create fake-noob alts and try to scam you of your donations. (Well that's what Eve Online has taught me. While I've never been a victim of one, scams & backstabs are an daily occurrence in Eve)

If you insist on spreading kindness in-game and want to help out others (especially new players) in game, I'd suggest you load up on information about Ashes, then create an FAQ-for-new-players forum thread, or ashes wiki page, and may be run an in-game chat channel when the game's released, answer new players' questions and point them in the right directions.

IMO from a new player's perspective, receiving useful tips (from experienced players) on how to achieve their goals in-game is almost always more useful then simply receiving a material (ok, virtual material) gift.

My idea was not doing the charity thing in-game. So let me elaborate for you. (I was in a rush, and needed to Wright down what I thought)

My idea was that when you PLAY the game, for a certain amount of time, you would after that time has passed, say an hour. You would instantly give IRL money, to Ash, and, that money that you donated while playing goes to IRL charity.

So say you play for each hour you play, you give a certain amount of IRL money, (not in game currency) to Ash, whitch then with all the money that Ash gets from you playing, they give to charities IRL, not in game.

So say there is every month, at the start of the month, there would be a week where you would log in to play, and there would be an option to play to donate for IRL. And you would choose how much game play you would play, and how much you would be giving per 30 to an hour of gameplay time. And then after all you play and your done playing or if you need to quit early, a pop up will appear and say how much money you spent playing that will go to charities.

Make sense???
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    It makes sense, it's a charity drive. I would imagine it's feasible, but frankly Ashes is so far out that it's hard to discuss anything concretely.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    It makes sense, it's a charity drive. I would imagine it's feasible, but frankly Ashes is so far out that it's hard to discuss anything concretely.

Ok, that makes sense, thank-you.
    CROW3 wrote: »

It is a charity drive, just not an overly good one.

The point of a charity drive (in regards to things like streams and such) is that the person organizing it is going out of their way to do something more, and those watching or otherwise participating are donating based (at least in part) on that effort.

It's kind of a "this person that provides me with entertainment cares so much about this specific charity that they are willing to do this thing they are doing in order to try and get me to donate to said charity - and so I will".

There is nothing of that nature in the suggestion here. It is simply a case of doing what we would do anyway, and giving money to a charity. There is no "I care about this specific charity enough to do a thing" in the suggestion.

Just give money to a charity you care about.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »

It is a charity drive, just not an overly good one.

The point of a charity drive (in regards to things like streams and such) is that the person organizing it is going out of their way to do something more, and those watching or otherwise participating are donating based (at least in part) on that effort.

It's kind of a "this person that provides me with entertainment cares so much about this specific charity that they are willing to do this thing they are doing in order to try and get me to donate to said charity - and so I will".

There is nothing of that nature in the suggestion here. It is simply a case of doing what we would do anyway, and giving money to a charity. There is no "I care about this specific charity enough to do a thing" in the suggestion.

Just give money to a charity you care about.

I understand now, I did not know.
  • By charity would that include some sort of “scholarship” for poor folks or those from other countries who can’t afford to pay the subscription? Ignoring the fact they have internet service and a PC, or is that also part of the deal?
  • By charity would that include some sort of “scholarship” for poor folks or those from other countries who can’t afford to pay the subscription? Ignoring the fact they have internet service and a PC, or is that also part of the deal?

I was thinking just giving to big and small organizations that can directly go and help people who need help. If that makes sense?
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    My idea was not doing the charity thing in-game. So let me elaborate for you. (I was in a rush, and needed to Wright down what I thought)

My idea was that when you PLAY the game, for a certain amount of time, you would after that time has passed, say an hour. You would instantly give IRL money, to Ash, and, that money that you donated while playing goes to IRL charity.

So say you play for each hour you play, you give a certain amount of IRL money, (not in game currency) to Ash, whitch then with all the money that Ash gets from you playing, they give to charities IRL, not in game.

I just wanted to point out that there is a charitable organization called "Child's Play" that does something similar to this. Here is a link to their Wikipedia page (I didn't want to link to their web site so that it didn't seem like I was advertising for them or anything):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child's_Play_(charity)

For people familiar with the Penny Arcade web comic and the PAX video game conventions (PAX = Penny Arcade Expo) the charity was set up by the same people who create the web comic and founded those conventions.

Essentially, one of the things that charity does is have 'video game marathons" where donations are made based on how far a players progress and/or how long they play certain games. A couple of them include the Mario Marathon and the Desert Bus for Hope event (both of which have been held almost every year since 2007-2008).

My point is that your idea is already being implemented in a sense and has been for a number of years. Not exactly in the same way, but pretty close. So it's definitely not a bad idea; it has been pretty successful. It also means that if you want to contribute in this way that path already exists for you.

I'll agree with others that doing this in an MMORPG is probably not the best idea. I don't think it would make sense for Ashes of Creation to try to facilitate this within the game itself. But your intentions are good and they are definitely not outlandish.

Hhak63P.png
    edited July 2021
    Atama wrote: »

I just wanted to point out that there is a charitable organization called "Child's Play" that does something similar to this. Here is a link to their Wikipedia page (I didn't want to link to their web site so that it didn't seem like I was advertising for them or anything):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child's_Play_(charity)

For people familiar with the Penny Arcade web comic and the PAX video game conventions (PAX = Penny Arcade Expo) the charity was set up by the same people who create the web comic and founded those conventions.

Essentially, one of the things that charity does is have 'video game marathons" where donations are made based on how far a players progress and/or how long they play certain games. A couple of them include the Mario Marathon and the Desert Bus for Hope event (both of which have been held almost every year since 2007-2008).

My point is that your idea is already being implemented in a sense and has been for a number of years. Not exactly in the same way, but pretty close. So it's definitely not a bad idea; it has been pretty successful. It also means that if you want to contribute in this way that path already exists for you.

I'll agree with others that doing this in an MMORPG is probably not the best idea. I don't think it would make sense for Ashes of Creation to try to facilitate this within the game itself. But your intentions are good and they are definitely not outlandish.

Okay, thank-you, I get it now :smile: I will check those out
  • I checked it out on the wiki and it looks pretty cool!
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They do an Extra Life event every year at Intrepid as well. Check out their twitch channel and their YouTube channel to see videos from the last several years.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.