Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Newspapers in AoC

I am not sure if this has already been discussed so I apologize if it already has.

I think it could be an automatically generated one. It could be populated with achievements like who hit what level first, so and so discovered x rare item while killing mobs, player learned this recipe so he is no able to craft x. And there could be a section for posting for jobs. There could be multiple newspapers for each nod that pertains only to that node and its surrounding area and then also have a global newspaper.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unlikely that an auto-generated newspaper would be any good.
    That's just a list of "headlines"; not a newspaper.

Some kind of chronical would, of course, be nice.
    Probably won't be automatic. And probably won't be as detailed as what an individual crafter learned...it would probably have to be the discovery of a legendary recipe.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2021
    Ah the Vanadiel Tribune <3 God I loved that feature.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    That could be a very interesting feature.
    Nodes and war declarations/results
    Maybe a comic section with Zeshio, lol
  • Options
    Oh, could you imagine once a certain criteria is met there is a section in the news that is just a vague hint to the location of a secret quest giver who disappears after x amount of people successfully complete it.
  • Options
    This sounds similar to the notice boards in Witcher 3. I liked that some of these generated quests. Some were just adding color to the world about wives that ran away, pigs breaking their neighbor’s fences, or that lazy Jack that stole off with the chickens.

It would be cool to seed lore / places worth exploring, that aren’t necessarily quests. For example, ‘trade had slowed from the village of Dole…’. Then it turns out that Dole was overrun by kobolds that broke all their caravan wheels and poisoned the well. F*%king kobolds.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    A newspaper would be an interesting idea for fan-made content. I don't think Intrepid should devote resources to this, but some person can scan all the server discords or forums to watch out for boss kills and siege results. Can be quite interesting.
  • Options
    I came in thinking "ugh", but having read your opener, I'm a little intrigued now!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    What’s stopping from allowing players to write newspapers? Sure, you’ll have to block the obvious words…but I think people would have a blast doing this.
  • Options
    SunScriptSunScript Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    McShave wrote: »
    A newspaper would be an interesting idea for fan-made content. I don't think Intrepid should devote resources to this, but some person can scan all the server discords or forums to watch out for boss kills and siege results. Can be quite interesting.

IF a newspaper was accessible in/from the game, it would be impossible for Intrepid NOT to devote resources to it. Either they write it themselves, or they devote time to curate/moderate what players write. Banning obvious words wouldn't be enough, there's a lot of ugly stuff you can say without any explicit words.

That's not to say it can't be worth it, though. I could see a Verra where players read newspapers in Taverns (before they get too drunk to read that is) and they catch up on global event progress, famous player bounties and what have you.
    Bow before the Emperor and your lives shall be spared. Refuse to bow and your lives shall be speared.