Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Chances of a Mac client?

Does anyone know if there is a chance a Mac client will happen?

I almost bought the beta two pack cause I've been following this game in development since kickstarter, and as a MMORPG veteran who beta tested UO back in 97 this feels like the new step in this field and I wanna be there. I just don't have a gaming PC cause I am a musician and work with MAC, but my Mac is powerful enough to run anything a gaming PC can. Maybe even a client that just emulates a windows envelope and allows you to play? grasping at anything rn :)

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No word on it.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/System_requirements

Here is a consideration against multi-platform support that most people don't like to hear. The more platforms a game supports, the harder it is to update and the slower we get fixes and updates. It is just the nature of the beast.

I know it's selfish, but I hope for no console, Mac, or Linux support. No Linux support is normal and Linux likes to find a way anyway, so I am not worried about Linux. The consoles and Mac take time away from the rest of the game by dealing with platform-specific issues. That is something I don't advocate for.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I personally hope they don't even release the companion app for the game on iOS, let alone a Mac version of the game - as Apple are, in my opinion, the single most actual evil company trading today and I would like to think Intrepid would take a stand against that kind of corporate behavior, even if Apple users won't.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    And I thought I was being harsh...

I do agree with everything you said. Ideally, if I got my way, Proton would enable Linux support for every game I play, and I could rid myself of windows too.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    That would make me quite happy as well.

Although not nearly as bad as Apple, Microsoft are not exactly great.
  • Options
    giphy.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    Talas wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a chance a Mac client will happen?

I almost bought the beta two pack cause I've been following this game in development since kickstarter, and as a MMORPG veteran who beta tested UO back in 97 this feels like the new step in this field and I wanna be there. I just don't have a gaming PC cause I am a musician and work with MAC, but my Mac is powerful enough to run anything a gaming PC can. Maybe even a client that just emulates a windows envelope and allows you to play? grasping at anything rn :)

Pretty much zero chance imo, the amount of work for an extremely small number of players won't be worth it, especially given they already said it won't be on console which is a market actually worth considering.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, UE4 supports deployment to Mac.

I have no idea how easy/difficult it is though.
    According to this post UE4 itself makes the workflow 3 times slower on a Mac - which suggests to me that it probably doesn't optimize for Mac deployment either.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Well, UE4 supports deployment to Mac.

I have no idea how easy/difficult it is though.
    According to this post UE4 itself makes the workflow 3 times slower on a Mac - which suggests to me that it probably doesn't optimize for Mac deployment either.

With Apple using Arm now instead of Intel chips, the time needed to support Mac would be even greater now. Developers wanting to support Mac today still need to develop for Intel based, but also for Arm based, and both need to be optimized individually.

As long as they stick with those chips, Mac users are not going to have access to much in the way of games. If Apple themself are not willing to assist the developer, it will only be the simplest of games that get Mac support.

Apple users have no one but themselves to blame here. When you support company that makes every attempt to segregate itself from the rest, it shouldn't come as a surprise when it is segregated from the rest.
  • Options
    AKS666AKS666 Member
    edited May 2022
    Noaani wrote: »
    I personally hope they don't even release the companion app for the game on iOS, let alone a Mac version of the game - as Apple are, in my opinion, the single most actual evil company trading today and I would like to think Intrepid would take a stand against that kind of corporate behavior, even if Apple users won't.

Well, have you ever heard of a company called „Microsoft“? 😂
    It’s not Apple‘s fault that Microsoft still sticks to those bad intel chips…
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited May 2022
    AKS666 wrote: »

That looks like smelly bait, @AKS666 ... did you get your consumer info from a 3rd party PC reviews website?

Anyway, I'm sure Noaani will be in soon for a counter-argument (even if this is a resurrected thread from last year).
  • Options
    AKS666AKS666 Member

That looks like smelly bait, @AKS666 ... did you get your consumer info from a 3rd party PC reviews website?

Anyway, I'm sure Noaani will be in soon for a counter-argument (even if this is a resurrected thread from last year).

I got my info from the same site as Nooani I guess. He’s not the only one who’s allowed to talk bullsh*t, is he?
  • Options

I run an AMD chip.

You dont get the choice.

/mic drop.
  • Options
    KovrmKovrm Member
    Yeah. I hope for a big No to Mac. And even more so to console. Console doesn't deserve this game.
    sJ4g8FI.png