Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dirt in AoC

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited January 2022 in General Discussion
Dirt in cities or houses can be a concept that will have many possibilities for various content.

Dirt: State that affects some objects in cities or houses. This state can gradually deteriorate objects due to disuse.

If in a house or city there are objects of value, be they economic, military, religious, beauty, etc. These objects could deteriorate due to disuse in a certain time, therefore the player (house) or players (city / guilds) should take into account that from time to time they should clean / care / repair those objects.

possible advantages of having dirt

-A great tool for Role Play

-Encourage the economy : Buy supplies to clean / repair / rebuild objects.

-Encourage trade : sale of supplies, tools, utensils, materials dedicated to that content.

-Encourage sociability : Groups of people must come together to do missions of reconstruction, strengthening of some parts of the city.

-Encourage missions on this content : missions of cleaning, care, reinforcement, maintenance, search for materials for these cases, etc.

-Encourage the use of things that are not used normally.

-Encourage the care of objects for their later use : instruments of war, instruments of missions, instruments of guilds, maintenance of caravanns, maintenance of ships, maintenance of trading posts, maintenance of homes, etc.

-Etc

This would entail a good administration on the part of the leaders of the city or houses, in this way the difference between cities/houses would be seen where some would look better than others simply because of the organization of their citizens.

edit
Depending on the state of dirt or cleanliness of the objects, these objects can give both positive (clean) and negative (very dirty) benefits to the player (house) or players (city / guild).
It could be 1 to 2 times a month with the reward of obtaining some monthly buff (either for the house / guild / city) or if it is not cleaned in a long time a monthly debuff.
EDym4eg.png

Comments

• Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Damn, some people and their kinks...
  • Options
    This is a game, not a full time occupation.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This dovetails right into the outhouse minigame planned for Beta 2.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I guess I don't understand how Dirt "Encourages" so much activity.

It just sounds like a Maintenance System to me.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Karthos wrote: »

For example: If your house is dirty, that dirt would affect the player with some debuffs, on the other hand if his house is clean it could give him some buff.

That would apply to the city in a higher%

In this way people would be attentive to making that content (which could be 1 or 2 times a month), in the same way also for cities they could have city missions where cleaning is needed, depending on the level of cleaning they would be granted a buff or debuff.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    I like aspects of realism, but I also like those aspects to be fun. Deteriorating structures makes sense, but haveing to clean, mop, sweep, scrub, and polish? You would really want that as a mechanic in a game? Most people hate doing that irl, you really want to finish up cleaning your house and hop into a fantasy fame to clean your in-game house? You want guild organized cleaning days for castles?

That sounds absolutely terrible to me.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    Karthos wrote: »

For example: If your house is dirty, that dirt would affect the player with some debuffs, on the other hand if his house is clean it could give him some buff.

That would apply to the city in a higher%

In this way people would be attentive to making that content (which could be 1 or 2 times a month), in the same way also for cities they could have city missions where cleaning is needed, depending on the level of cleaning they would be granted a buff or debuff.

It's not a terrible idea, but I feel it would be very hard to pull off without making it into a "Daily System" that just harnesses players with mindless tasks they "need" to do in order to progress with the rest of the game. This would mean players need to spend their time doing things that are not in the game world, and instead be in their house brushing their carpets and polishing their knobs.

This especially would punish players with limited time. You make a person perform 30 min of these daily tasks or else suffer a penalty, that's 30 mins less time they will be participating in the world doing what they really want to be doing. At some point, a player may not even log in since they don't want to be using a majority of their time doing chores instead of playing the game. Of course you can make these tasks take no time at all, but then, why even have them then?

Again, not a terrible Idea, but really not a good one either in terms of player enjoyment and time well spent.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Barrakus wrote: »

And if I told you that you could earn a monthly buff for doing it 1 or 2 times a month, would that be acceptable?
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    arsnn wrote: »
    Damn, some people and their kinks...

The disorder that I remain from the general cleaning when I worked at T.G.I. Friday's years ago 😂😂😂
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    Ashes of Creation: The MMORPG that nags you to do housework.

(That does not seem like escapism to me.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Seems like a false sense of depth to me.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Atama wrote: »
    Ashes of Creation: The MMORPG that nags you to do housework.

(That does not seem like escapism to me.)

If I understand the logic of escapism in every MMO, it should always be this way.

But I consider as a positive argument that AoC (as far as I understand it) will have a lot of social content, so the concept that I have been raising could have some potential.

Obviously I'm not an Intrepid developer who knows 10,000 more things than I do, but I think that as a concept it has some potential to be modifiable or adaptable to make it more fun.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Reminds me of the Sims, and why I quit playing it.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Seems like a false sense of depth to me.

Yep, a system just for the sake of adding a system.
  • Options
    I like the idea of dirt from a rp perspective. I think it would be fun if your character got dirty over time, and then you had to buy soap and have a bath to get clean again. I don't want to be forced to do it tho with any in game, pvp or otherwise competitive, advantage. It should be just a fun thing you can do.

Then you can attach that with other rp like daily chores like sleeping, eating, (defecating?), sitting down and reading a book. We know Steven wants to have a marriage mechanic, so that could be another thing. Kids? How far should we go with this?

You can add economic elements to this, like buying the rp components (food, soap, clothes), or craft them yourself. As for buffs, maybe building up your rp score (idea -> clean, fed, housed, etc) could add to your charm score and provide different dialogue options and/or cheaper prices.
  • Options

It occurs to me that for Tulnar this might be reversed.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    That's the spirit

EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    Dirty stuff makes sense to me. But it needs to be based on movement of people, environmental effects, not based on timers and stuff. And it also must not take away from the normal gameplay etc. UE5 might help with this but it seems like a complex system not really needed at launch, maybe a nice to have a year or so after launch imho
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like to see overall decay if a node atrophies. As in, it doesn't receive enough XP from players or vassal nodes to maintain itself. That is a system I am pretty sure we'll have in the game, and showing the node as dirty and with crumbling walls/buildings etc. would be a good visual indicator.

I am not fond of taking it to the player level as the OP suggests though. I think that is an unnecessary system.
  • Options
    Reminds me of Kingdom Come Deliverance, where you had to keep washing in a barrel of water every few steps. Got old pretty fast.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    ZarrathZarrath Member
    edited January 2022

And if I told you that you could earn a monthly buff for doing it 1 or 2 times a month, would that be acceptable?

Personally, no. I do my own house upkeep often enough without having to log into a game even once or twice a month and spend time doing it there. I play games for PvE, PvP and exploration of world content, and the roleplay therein. I don’t mind crafting and gathering because it is both profitable and has an end goal.

I would consider, in a roleplay sense, that anything chore related that needed to be done, would be done passively while I was offline and my character was just hanging out at their home.

In the same way that when I read a fantasy novel, I don’t want to have to read passages every few chapters about the character returning home to do upkeep.

If you said something along the lines of having contribute to a village or town tax that passively made NPC’s take care of the town, as a resident of that town, sure….but having the player need to take time out of their day, no matter how often or not often it was, to do spring cleaning for the sake of bringing a community together….to clean? Thanks but no thanks.

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited January 2022
    In the same way that when I read a fantasy novel, I don’t want to have to read passages every few chapters about the character returning home to do upkeep.

"Whilst Frodo and Sam were climbing up the steep rocky slopes of Mount Doom, back in The Shire, Holgard Brandyweather was once again present at Bag End, wiping away the cobwebs and dust with his mucky cleaning rag. He sighed as he went about his business, and began to sing himself a little song.

'Cleaning work is never done!
    Cleaning work is always fun!
    I've been here for....'
    "

GYAAAARGH! Get me back to Mount Doooooooooom!!!
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Garbage collector simulator? Great gameplay.
  • Options
    Why does it seem to me that no one likes to clean their room? 😂😂😂
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options

This would make your idea an even worse one: Do an arbitrary activity that you may or may NOT like involving cleaning/maintenance to obtain a buff. This is the kind of thinking that leads games into becoming yet another iteration of "BUFF WARS".

If there's some kind of collection behind it as a 1-time activity, maybe. However, this overall sounds like an un-needed side system.

• Options

Most people don't like to clean. For the vast majority of people, cleaning isn't about the joy of doing the chore, it's about the disgust with living in filth and desire to avoid that.

Negative reinforcement is certainly a viable tactic to have in a game. Ashes of Creation in particular embraces that, with severe (and impactful) death penalties compared to most MMORPGs, an intentional lack of fast travel options, and an open PvP system that ensures that you will rarely be "safe" anywhere.

But those systems revolve around combat and exploration. Not scrubbing mud stains out of a wooden floor.

And the other thing is, if you want to clean your room, clean your room. You can't fight a dragon, cast spells, and defend a caravan from bow-wielding thugs in real life, but you can pull out a broom and get rid of dust without having to log into a video game.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Typically for me the process is: clean, and then play. I don't care to bring menial chores into my game time. But far be it from me to judge those who might.
  • Options
    Would be nice something like blood in your cloths if you morder alot of players or dirt if you died alot of times then you would need to go to a spa, like kingdome come deliverance, more than that nahhh
  • Options
    Ramirez wrote: »
    Would be nice something like blood in your cloths if you morder alot of players or dirt if you died alot of times then you would need to go to a spa, like kingdome come deliverance, more than that nahhh

Be like Dragon Age and let your big dog lick it off.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Ramirez wrote: »

Be like Dragon Age and let your big dog lick it off.

Well, now we need all the gory deta...... you know what, let's not...