Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Dünir Race - Feb 2022

RoshenRoshen Moderator, Member, Staff
edited March 2022 in General Discussion
Hello glorious community,

We’d like your feedback regarding the look and feel of the Dünir race. We shared our most recent art of this race during the January Development Update livestream.

As a reminder, your feedback matters to us! For example: during Alpha One, players felt the Dünir race did not meet their expectations of a dwarf. Due to that feedback, we made adjustments to the Dünir race as mentioned in our September Development Update last year.

Dünir Art

Dunir_M_01.jpg

Dunir_M_02.jpg

Dunir_M_03.jpg

Dunir_F_01.jpg

Dunir_F_02.jpg

Dunir_F_03.jpg

Dünir race discussion from January Development Update livestream.

To help guide the conversation, here are a few thought starters:
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
  • Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
  • What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Dünir race?
  • Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Dünir race?
Don’t feel limited to the questions above. Please, share anything you’d like about the Dünir race design.

We’ll be leaving this thread open for your feedback until the end of the day on Thursday, February 24, 2022, so that we can begin compiling a report for our development team.

Everyone here at Intrepid Studios looks forward to reading all the great reactions to our latest character designs!

UPDATE: Hi again friends! Thank you all for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts on the Dünir race! We had a blast reading through your thoughts and comments! We created an awesome report with the feedback you gave us for the design team!

Your thoughts and opinions matter to all of us here at Intrepid and we appreciate you all very much! ^_^
community_management.gif

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, think this is great. Very satisfied with the direction they've taken the Dunir. The only thing that might be improved on the torso:leg balance of the male model, legs might be a hair too short.
  • Options
    I like the muscled bodies, classic dwarf look. I think it'd be cool to have a race where the women go more in the butch direction, less in the usual feminine qualities that is the norm. Just some hard working women with big muscle
  • Options
    Looks great and very dwarfen. I agree with Capricorn that maybe adding a smidge to the leg lengths on the males would be good. I would also just ask that dwarf women be given the option of having beards. Lighter and fluffier than the males would be great options.
  • Options
    Agree with the fact that the legs could be a bit longer on the male version - otherwise I love it.
  • Options
    Love the direction, Way better than the last iteration
  • Options
    I love the new direction of the Dunir. The first iteration wasn't fantasy enough. Classic fantasy dwarves are perfect. The style of armor is impeccable(I pray there is a transmog/outfitting system since I won't ever take the armor off). The wider body and thick muscles really fit with the theme of "Dwarves under the mountain". I think there is a great interaction with the new direction of the dunir and their armor, culture and lore. I can't emphasize enough how great the Dunir armor looks with the new iteration of the dunir. With this said, I have a few points of feedback.

1. Longer beards! Most fantasy dwarves have immense pride in their beard and keeping it well kept and long to show age and respect. I think some longer beards with adornments such as bracelets to keep them maintained.

2. Height: My biggest issue with them is their height and how it makes them look condensed. I'm not sure how tall they can get with character customization but I hope they can get to low-chest height of a normal human. This seems to be a residual feature of the previous iteration of the dunir where they looked too "gnome/halfling" like. Some optional height would be appreciated to create the fierce dunir aesthetic. The proportions look great as does the muscle size. Ignore this if height can be adjusted in the character creator.

3. Female Dunir Face: The female dunir look ok from the face down. They look leaner than males, but still look like they could pack a punch. I find the body looks like it resembles our real world a little too much with how the female is proportioned. It oddly looks based off real-life dwarfism which is something that I think should be avoided. The face is where I think some work can be done. It looks very gnome/halfling-like and too sharp. I imagine female dwarves to have more rounded features and stoic rather than the sharpness that resembles a gnome.

Overall I think progress is going excellent and I am thrilled the team is committed to listening to feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

P.S: Please have a transmog/outfitting system so I can show off that beautiful dunir armor all day every day.
  • Options
    chaoko954chaoko954 Member, Alpha One
    Normally I am not a fan of the smaller body types in games, but you guys nailed the Dwarf in this game. I can't wait to see the beard options for the males and females too!
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    10/10, it perfectly represents the classic dwarven races in fantasy. Good job!
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    KRissCHuKRissCHu Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    The looks of the Dunir are a massive improvement over what we got in Alpha 1. 9/10.

As for suggestions, first I want to say that you have nailed the female Dunir's looks(with a single exception that will be mentioned later) and proportions, so they are all fine and dandy.

For the males it is a 90% complete job. The overall everything about the male Dunir is perfect, but I think their legs are far too slender. I'd like for the male Dunir legs to be thicker, more stout, at least as thick as their arms(which you nailed), with maybe slightly bigger feet to match the new thickness of the feet.

And also the detail that I feel needs improvement for both the male and female Dunir - give their butts more meat. Their butts currently look too flat.

Also, I wish to mention this regarding another detail that I found to be somewhat displeasing during the last livestream.

Truth be told this is more of a nitpick from a historical arms and armor nerd, but I did not like how incomplete the supposed high tier armor set that was shown of was. From the front and side it looks spectacular, but I dislike that the back remained uncovered(set wise).

Can we please have the high tier plate sets, actually be full plate suits, with a joined front and back plate that completely encases the character, rather than just a front plate and an open chainmail back, like the example we saw in the stream?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looks fine in isolation.
    We still need to see size comparison with Kaelar and Vaelune.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    9.5/10

Contrary to others in this thread, I am leaning towards wanting shorter legs. Both male and female. Go for the "Boulders with short, stumpy legs" look. For the male especially, perhaps even more muscly legs as default. They need to look like they can carry his massive upper body. If the female dwarf can be made bulkier in character creation, I think the current model is a good base. But I would definitely go more towards the bulky side of things if you decide to change it.
  • Options
    Dunir looks way more better than what we had previously, but i feel like their legs should be slightly longer and a bit bulkier to fit their arms ratio :smile:
  • Options
    These ended up amazing, both male and female look the part.

Curious if this is a "dwarf females can have beards" kind of world or not so much?
  • Options
    Serena VenportSerena Venport Member, Alpha One
    9/10 Love the face and the model in general. Going to look pretty sweet customizing one down the road. The bubble gut on the male is weird to me lol and the unnatural arm span is kinda weird. looks like a gym bro that's lost mobility from being to jacked.
  • Options
    Thicccc bois and gals <3
  • Options
    ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dwarf.
    This is a dwarf.
    A typical fantasy dwarf.
    No changes.
  • Options
    DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As someone keen on playing a female dwarf I'm very happy ^^ I look forward to seeing them next to other races for a height comparison.
    I also look forward to seeing how much we can customise them and how they look with different types of gear on :3
    8st3lhnx21to.png
  • Options
    Looking good and probably aligns more with many people's idea of a fantasy dwarf. Its difficult to gauge height without any comparison though but the bulkiness is spot on.
  • Options
    As with the Dunir the artstyle here looks beautiful. There's a lot of detail here so just like with the orc the only thing you add here for me personally is just a higher quality skin texture
  • Options
    ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    First off, i'd like to say, you guys really nailed it on the new look. The old Dunir had me worried quite a bit. This really is looking like I expected a dwarf to look like. That being said, without seeing customization capabilities, the dwarven races look very similar, unlike the variance we get from the orcs. I love how the Dunir looks though.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Nothing too dislike here. I love the way it looks. Just would like to see more variances between Dunir
    and Nekua.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Dünir race?
    Keep up the amazing work guys! The community loves seeing the races come to life. Feed us more of this !!! =^_^=
    [img][/img]
  • Options
    Lark WyllLark Wyll Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They look really nice. I'd like to see some options to make them more barrel-bodied than body-builder so there's variance in the world. Chest, forearm, feet hair options maybe?
    u3usdraa7gs1.png

• Options
    I will likely be going Dunir and its looking just fine.
  • Options
    Body type seems very good on both.
    I definitely would want a lot more hair as an option especially, but not limited too, the beard (yes, for male and female).
  • Options
    • Well-proportioned Dunir female model.
    • The male model might is lacking leg thickness/muscularity in comparison to his STACKED torso. Those dwarven legs need to be powerful enough to truck his brawn up a mountain at proper dwarf sprint.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love these
  • Options
    Female modell looks like she kind of has a fupa, otherwise, no complaints, they're pretty good.
  • Options
    SnaleSnale Member
    edited February 2022
    The first impression I got was that I really dislike the extreme gender disparity in these models. Looks like a male dwarf and a bodybuilding hobbit, rather than two members of the same species.

I love the male model for the most part, but there's something odd about the rear view. I think for that type of physique up front he'd have a bigger booty and stronger legs. To me something that small and muscular would be more universally bulky, rather than a "skips leg day" kind of look.

The female model has been homogenized with human traits to the point of looking like a bodybuilding halfling rather than a female dwarf. The facial structure/skeleton is entirely different on the female model and could easily be a human face.
    Her body is also so different than his it's kind of crazy. Would love to see her back, neck, stomach and arms built up to be more stocky while lowering that boob slider a few notches and replacing it with a more muscley barrel chest.

I'd really prefer a more muscular and stocky female Dunir over the same type of half-human watering down of female models we often see.

Oh and I really hope you let female Dunir have facial hair!
  • Options
    I love the male look perfect dwarf female seems kinda curvy while the male looks DENSE and i love it
  • Options
    I love these new Dünir designs! This is a very big step from Alpha 1. Good job! I hope Dünir males will have an option to have bigger/longer beards.

If I could make a little change for the male version I would make them have a little bit wider legs because their hands look a bit big compared to legs.

I know Dünir dwarves will look great when the game lauches!
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Good to see nice and strong Dünir. Just make their legs a bit beefier :)
    bRVL6TR.png