Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Aquatic mounts and fishing

I was thinking that should some aquatic mounts have abilities that could be used in fishing? I know that there is going to be fishing boats that are used in deep sea fishing but how about that some aquatic mounts could be used to fish a specific kinds of fishes or sea creatures.

For example some mounts could have an ability to detect fishes by a radar ability or lure fishes closer to player by creating some kind of bright light or maybe have an ability to dig ocean floor to catch some sea creatures.

What is your opinion about aquatic mounts having fishing abilities? :)

Comments

• GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea, but I wouldn't want someone to have to be on an aquatic mount while fishing. They should be able to be on a boat while fishing instead, or on a beach. Rather, I'd like there to be aquatic mounts that attract other fish which increases chances for rarer fish / reduce time for a fish to bite.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Goalid wrote: »
    I like the idea, but I wouldn't want someone to have to be on an aquatic mount while fishing.

Yeah maybe that would be too much of work to do. Maybe that would be useful in some rare ocassion.
    Goalid wrote: »
    Rather, I'd like there to be aquatic mounts that attract other fish which increases chances for rarer fish / reduce time for a fish to bite.

I like that idea of reducing time for a fish to bite! B)
  • I would love an aquatic mount that functions in game more like a boat that you could fish off of and walk on it a little bit. Maybe mount it's neck or something to treat like a traditional mount and dive/steer it.
    I didn't care if they added naval stuff to the game, but I think it would be super cool have a pet that is more of an autonomous ride through the water. Just sit and watch the coast..
    Something like Lapras, the Pokemon
  • clone63 wrote: »
    I would love an aquatic mount that functions in game more like a boat that you could fish off of and walk on it a little bit.

I also have had same kind of idea. :D
    I thought this could work with a huge turtle for example.
  • In the latest Development Update Steven revealed that some aquatic mounts will have skills that can be used in fishing. What are your thoughts about this and what kind of skills would you like to see used in fishing?

"Mounts will have skills that relate to fishing in some way shape or form, least the water mounts. Whether that be getting out to a particular area, whether it be like some type of fish finding or chumming the area. There could even be benefits while fishing in the water while mounted, like, you're on the back of your turtle out there just sitting in the water casting your rod, or your line." - Steven Sharif
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    May I suggest various fish as a kind of pet?
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I came to ask a follow up q
    -T0Mb- wrote: »
    In the latest Development Update Steven revealed that some aquatic mounts will have skills that can be used in fishing. What are your thoughts about this and what kind of skills would you like to see used in fishing?

I was about to say exactly this but it looks like you were thinking the same, @-T0Mb- ! I'm curious to hear more about what people would like to see from this feature of the game :)
    community_management.gif
  • -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    edited April 2022
    tautau wrote: »
    May I suggest various fish as a kind of pet?

Aquatic pets like in GW2! Not bad idea.

Also I would love to have an aquarium in my house or freehold where to put my caught fishes! B)
  • On a related note - I'd like to see fishing attachments for ships as well (nets, spear guns, etc.). Perhaps mounts could even have bonuses that interact with ships and maybe work in conjunction with ships & fishing.

For example: A mount with the ability to secrete a "fish bait" which you can use to round up a school of fish and then drive by with your ship's net and scoop them up.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Small ships with nets (trawlers) which can offload their catch to larger ships (perhaps owned by a guild or a node) which processes the catch into something more valuable like filets or dried fish?
  • HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    clone63 wrote: »
    I would love an aquatic mount that functions in game more like a boat that you could fish off of and walk on it a little bit. Maybe mount it's neck or something to treat like a traditional mount and dive/steer it.
    I didn't care if they added naval stuff to the game, but I think it would be super cool have a pet that is more of an autonomous ride through the water. Just sit and watch the coast..
    Something like Lapras, the Pokemon

Before I got to the end I went “ooo a Lapras!”.

It would definitely be nice to be able to treat all larger mounts as a platform instead of of just an extension of your character model.

Could make dismounting and dismissing your mount different things kind of like a summon or pet. (On this note can I ride my summons that are big enough pleeeease?)
  • I think that I would like the idea of using aquatic mounts for "basic" fishing or particular, river fishing. Lake and Ocean fishing, for the serious game I like the idea of it being necessary to use small to large fishing vessels with the technology to secure better catches. I think that mounts should have the benefit of versatility having a lower max speed but quicker acceleration/deceleration being able to manoeuvre in tighter spaces if needed.

But the fishing boats will have i.e. fishing platforms (or stationary rods built to be more durable/effective?) - nets, harpoons like others have mentioned. Can have abilities like deploying bait to an area. Perhaps less suited versus the largest sea monsters like we saw before, but it should be able to be best equipped for dedicated fishing to the highest level.
  • superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited April 2022
    tautau wrote: »
    Small ships with nets (trawlers) which can offload their catch to larger ships (perhaps owned by a guild or a node) which processes the catch into something more valuable like filets or dried fish?

I like the idea to have a Transport Ship outfitted with a massive storage hull, and perhaps a crafting/cooking station onboard. I wonder if you can "furnish" your ship with carpentry crafted items, like storage chests, etc., or if there would be separate ship only items you would have to make with the ship building tree? That would be AWESOME if you could have a captains quarters that you can furnish...but that's another topic.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png