Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cultural Influence of nodes throughout their level progression

edited February 2022 in General Discussion
Hello all!

During the latest Dev Update there was a really good conversation on the difficult task of creating a seamless transition between the influence of the cultures and the biomes in which they exist. Because node architecture is influenced by the culture of a race, cultural influence existing across 18 biomes is difficult. This is exemplified by the Py’Rai, whose architecture is infused with the surrounding trees and vegetation, it is difficult to encapsulate that same feeling in nodes that are not forest oriented. Similarly, the biome that the Ren’Kai are most accustomed to are swamp or marsh oriented, leading to buildings on stilts to stay above the water table.

I wanted to get the communities opinions on a related topic.

If a node is level 5 (city) and the cultural influence is that of the Py’Rai. Would you like it to look the same in both scenarios?:

Scenario1.
The node was Py’Rai influenced from Level 0 (wilderness) to Level 5 (city)

vs

Scenario 2.
The node changed influenced as it levels.
Example: Ren’Kai Level 1  Empyrean Level 2  Py’Rai Level 3  Ren’Kai Level 4  Py’Rai Level 5

If we look at scenario 1 it would make sense that a giant “central tree” could grow in the middle of a desert because the Py’Rai have been tending to the land from Level 0 to Level 5.

Whereas scenario 2 would make it much more difficult to explain how cultural influence changes during a node level increase. But in option 2 the “central tree” of the Level 5 Py’Rai node could only have 2 node levels worth of growth and thus be much smaller and easier to explain as a smaller tree growing in a city (assuming it doesn’t get destroyed by the Level 4 Ren’Kai influence)

TLDR: Should the cultural influence of node level X be influenced by the cultural influence of the node level X-1.

Comments

• Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I prefer Option 1 for the most part, because I can't see how Intrepid can account for every different influence. They're already having a large amount of trouble just making sure every node is going to have some environmental + racial influence in appearance. That's already a ton of work, I wouldn't ask anymore from their art team. I was thinking MAYBE people could keep their racial housing appearance between node levels if they desired it, but on second thought their house might end up just looking completely out of place. Although it would be pretty funny to have a once Dunir city turn Empyrean, and these Dwarven curmudgeons refuse to change their house appearance to the rest of the node, and need to be bought out to change the house appearance.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    They should and will look the same in both.

Intrepid have already discussed this.
  • Options
    I'm kinda looking forward to seeing an igloo in the desert...
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    They should and will look the same in both.

Intrepid have already discussed this.

Thanks @Noaani I couldn't find that on the wiki.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Magic.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    couldn't the druids of each race handle this is a timely manner?
  • Options
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    couldn't the druids of each race handle this is a timely manner?

What druids?
  • Options
    I like the idea of a in city house being the cultural appearance of its owner, however i defintely would not ask the Intrepid team to create every combination of each of the 9 races for all 6 levels of a node
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    QuiQSilver wrote: »
    I like the idea of a in city house being the cultural appearance of its owner, however i defintely would not ask the Intrepid team to create every combination of each of the 9 races for all 6 levels of a node

Your like 5 years to late for that.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Node_stages

Race that contributed the highest percentage to the node's advancement will alter the racial appearance of its buildings and NPCs.[22][18][1][19][23][24]
    Parent races do not combine their cultural influences. For example, Py'Rai and Empyrean count as different cultures. Their parent race, the Pyrian, no longer exists.[25]
    This style and culture change happens at every stage.[1]
    This applies to all nodes, including castle nodes.[26]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFKi4j-Zaw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTZ5osw1hnc
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    "Everything is subject to change."
  • Options
    I still think it would be super cool if there could be districts in a node. Race A was the majority, where race B came in second. So when you get to the node upgrade there's a corner district for whatever race B was.
  • Options
    I still think it would be super cool if there could be districts in a node. Race A was the majority, where race B came in second. So when you get to the node upgrade there's a corner district for whatever race B was.

This is definitely a very interested idea, although I feel like that would be very complex from a Dev perspective its something that I would really enjoy.
  • Options
    @bloodprophet i was saying they shouldnt have nodes be 1/4th elven, 1/2 orc and 1/4 human which they dont and likely wont
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    This is so interesting!

So, we have announced that your option two is essentially going to be the one we do in Ashes of Creation. You can read more about it here! Check out the 'Cultural Experience' section ;)

However, your idea that if a single race contributes the most throughout all levels, the node levels differently is very interesting! What other examples could you think of with different races dominating a single node throughout it's development?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @Vaknar
    I'm not sure the Cultural Experience section of Know Your Nodes corroborates the Scenario 2 of the OP?

I don't understand how the Central Tree of the Stage 5 Py'Rai Node could have two "levels" of growth:
    The Central Tree begins growing at Stage 3, when the Py'Rai have control. They devote resources to its growth.

Scenario 2 implies that the Central Tree remains at Stage 4 when the Ren'Kai have control.
    The Ren'Kai choose to discontinue maintaining the growth. Then at Stage 5, the Py'Rai choose to allocate resources for the Central Tree to grow again.

I don't think we have confirmation that the Central Tree will still be there at Stage 4, if the Ren'Kai are the dominant race. If it does remain, would the Ren'Kai be able to allocate resources to continue its growth?
    What happens if the Ren'Kai choose to chop it down? Do they have the option to destroy the Central Tree?

If the Ren'Kai destroy the Central Tree, it seems like the Py'Rai would have to start growing the Central Tree again from scratch?
    Would they be able to, at some point, allocate enough resources to have it grow to the cap of a Stage 5 Central Tree, as long as they allocate sufficient resources? Thereby, mitigating the destruction of the original Central Tree?
    (Basically, the same question if the Ren'Kai discontinued maintenance of the Tree? Would the Stage 5 Py'Rai eventually be able to focus enough resources on its growth that it can reach the cap of Stage 5 Growth regardless of wat happened during the previous Stages?)
  • Options
    The idea of OP sounds great but as others have expressed I also wouldn't want to make the intrepid team work on this because they already have a ton of work to do.
    Besides if you open up google earth and have a stroll around Bulgaria's capital you can see how visually horrid it is to have buildings of different cultures and different architect styles. On paper it sounds great but visually its horrible.

OP's idea is great. It would add immersion but I don't think it's something to be worked on at this stage. Maybe somewhere down the line as part of a future expansion to the game for example.
    Although I have concerns it might actually look visually unappealing which is why it's best left for work for a future expansion where the team has enough time to devote lots of effort into making it look interesting and or appealing.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    This is so interesting!

So, we have announced that your option two is essentially going to be the one we do in Ashes of Creation. You can read more about it here! Check out the 'Cultural Experience' section ;)

However, your idea that if a single race contributes the most throughout all levels, the node levels differently is very interesting! What other examples could you think of with different races dominating a single node throughout it's development?

@Vaknar

I assume you misread the OP.

The situation as explained in the article listed is in line with scenario 1.

This isn't your fault, as the way the post was structured made it hard to understand.

The question was posed as if from the perspective of a level 5 node, where that 5th level was gained mostly from Py'Rai characters, then asking if the node should appear as if it had always been Py'Rai (as in, the whole nodes architecturewas Py'Rai), or if it should show remains of other cultures from previous stages.

The article you linked says the node in question will show as if it had always been Py'Rai, or scenario 1.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

This isn't your fault, as the way the post was structured made it hard to understand.

Yeah that's my bad, I wasn't clear enough.