Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Voiced Quest

Pls make quest similar to this addon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m_YEaXeyD4

Voice quest are way more immersive and its kinda much nicer also.
Pretty pls Ashes. Make quest like this

Comments

• Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    SWtOR has quite a lot of garbage parts, but I go back to it quite regularly because of how good a full voice acted mmo feels. They did one expansion where lots of things weren’t voice acted and it felt soooooooo bland.

I doubt we will end up getting this and I’m pretty sure they’ve said it’s most likely a no, but I agree it would be wonderful.
  • Options
    RevengeRomanRevengeRoman Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @ptitoine

Based on a quick search in the Ashes of Creation Wiki;

NPCs will have voice acted audio greetings.[1][2]

Narrated quest lines are not currently planned.[1]
    Adding voice acting into the game at a later point is a fairly cosmetic change.[1]

Here is the link;

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Voice_acting

Doesn't look like this is on the road map before launch. Might be a possibility after launch though. Sorry mate.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Voice acting is super expensive.
    Quick search:
    Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million to develop New report recounts creation of BioWare's MMORPG; 800 staffers on four continents worked for six years to bring game to market. By Eddie Makuch on January 20, 2012 at 11:51AM PST 255 Comments

This is a far cry from the 40-50 Million budgeted by Steven.
    I played SWTOR at launch and had a great time. A friend of mine hated all the cut scenes and VO as it mad it feel like a single player game when all he wanted to do group with a friend and quest while BS'ing on Discord.
    So ups and downs to adding this.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I hope Dungeon bosses and raid bosses atleast have cool voice lines for pull and abilities. Thats a big thing for immersion and not having it would feel so antiquated and lame.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    We already know they're not going to do it. They don't have the budget to add good voice acting, and bad voice acting is worse than no voice acting, as proven in that WoW addon clip you linked.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    My imagination is better than any voice actors :)
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    @ptitoine

Adding voice acting into the game at a later point is a fairly cosmetic change.[1]

Here is the link;

Doesn't look like this is on the road map before launch. Might be a possibility after launch though. Sorry mate.

Well said!

It's something we would LOVE to have in Ashes of Creation, but is a substantial and monumental cost and requires a lot of time. We'd love to see it in the game one day, but it isn't a planned feature for launch.
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    @ptitoine

Here is the link;

Well said!

It's something we would LOVE to have in Ashes of Creation, but is a substantial and monumental cost and requires a lot of time. We'd love to see it in the game one day, but it isn't a planned feature for launch.

Well its a maybe and i'll take it XD Either it wont stop me from playing so
  • Options
    Pls no. Voice acting is seldom good. Then I'm forced to hear some random person without any emotion talking about some wolves, and I can't mute it.
    I can't read faster because I'm also hearing.
    Also, it's expensive.
    Unless we're talking Dragon Age Origins level of voice acting, please no.
  • Options
    Maybe 10 years down the line when I dont have to listen to it. :# A quest or 2 here and there is fine which are optional, but not for anything we have to go through like the instanced content related questlines.
    It would be too time consuming for casual players who already have limited time to play.

Although I am not worried that this will be happening anytime soon after the release. Lots of primary, secondary and tertiary priorities before IS would come around to this.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    KreedKreed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2022
    Quick search:
    Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million to develop New report recounts creation of BioWare's MMORPG; 800 staffers on four continents worked for six years to bring game to market. By Eddie Makuch on January 20, 2012 at 11:51AM PST 255 Comments

I played SWTOR at launch and had a great time. A friend of mine hated all the cut scenes and VO as it mad it feel like a single player game when all he wanted to do group with a friend and quest while BS'ing on Discord.

Sorry but that reference is a weak argument now a days. First of all that was an over blown budget that they spent and way over paid.

There are a few games that have done voice acting for a lot less and lets not forget that new AI software that can turn any voice into something from text thats hard to tell if its faked or a real person talking. So no it wont cost as much as you say.
  • Options
    Kreed wrote: »
    Quick search:

Sorry but that reference is a weak argument now a days. First of all that was an over blown budget that they spent and way over paid.

There are a few games that have done voice acting for a lot less and lets not forget that new AI software that can turn any voice into something from text thats hard to tell if its faked or a real person talking. So no it wont cost as much as you say.

Fair enough. So how much would it cost and how long would it take?
    Is it worth the cost and will the community be ok with the delay without referring to AOC as the next Star Citizen with unnecessary scope creep?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Kreed wrote: »
    So no it wont cost as much as you say.

That may be, however, it’s not just a question of overall cost, but prioritizing the cost and benefit of voice acting over the cost and benefit of including other capabilities.

What would you trade out of the backlog for voice acting? Tulnar? Naval content?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Hourly rate is any where from $150 to $250 depending where and who does the voicing. If narration can do 10,000 words an hour then acting should be some where around 6,000 to 10,000 an hour with lines being at least spoken multiple times to have the right take picked.( Usually 5 to 7 times ) .

The main character Niko for GTA 4 back in the day made 100k doing voice acting and the motion capture scenes.

Ashes wont need motion capture, UE5 covers that, a combination of the AI Soft ware text to speech and actors along with well organized script recording could do it well within a reasonable budget and time frame. If you have 10 to 15 or more voice actors using different accents to set the AI parameters you could probably do it within a couple of million or so.

After all look at League of Maidens voice acting was decent although you could argue game play was terrible. You can bet they didnt have a big budget.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited April 2022
    Hey, if you have the answer, pitch it to the man with the money. Maybe you have the exact right numbers on how he can allocate his funds better than he’s already determined.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Hey, if you have the answer, pitch it to the man with the money. Maybe you have the exact right numbers on how he can allocate his funds better than he’s already determined.

Personally I think Steven has a plan already look who he hired for the story writing.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

I disagree.
    Those that want this should get their wallets out so IS can focus on what is important to the project at this time.
    If they add it later down the road then so be it. I just don't see it as even a minor necessity.
  • Options
    The solution to this is to make it a fan made add-on with submissions by the community. I hate addons. I like the idea of Voice acting...if I can turn it off in options when I'm on voice chat with friends.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    Nicely done voice-overs with actors you can recognize is a real treat but not necessary. Adding a nice voice-over "later" means many or most people will never get to hear it since the quest lines will already be done, with some or most not repeatable. If AoC did decide to do an "expansion" then maybe start voice-overs with the new stuff.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Its difficult. I do prefer voiced raid bosses and actual major situational npcs. I don't need the whole world to speak, or, even quest givers to speak because I prefer the old 'Here's a secret note, please assist us!' approach. lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AruganArugan Member, Alpha One
    I do think voice over for quest is incredibly important for lore. I do agree that with out voice over alot of the Lore will be skiped by majoirty of players.

I am not sure of the cost but I do believe it is a good idea to look into AI for the voice over. Maybe use real people for Raids and larger quest lines and for minor quest lines use AI. This could save the cost and provide the voice over enough for people to enjoy the lore. Also more immersive in my opinion.

I am sure the are people even willing to volunture to be voice actors for this game.