Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Alpha 2 Question

2»

Comments

• Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    mcnasty wrote: »
    IMO, Alpha 2 this Summer. Beta 1 Q1 2023. Beta 2 Summer 2023. Launch Nov 2023.

Alpha 2 is stated to be a persistent alpha. My Q: does this mean the plan is to have the world up all the way to Beta? Ofc I realize there will probably be lengthy multi-week downtime, code changes, server wipes, etc. But aside from that, is the plan for Alpha 2 to run all the way to Beta?

While I would love your timeline, I have been getting that sick feeling in my stomach from lack of news and no spot tests. I'm sure they're working very hard and I feel it's mostly about the combat which is a major sticking point for them because they want it to be right.

They did a great job with the Char. Creation going above and beyond, as much as it sucks I will remain patient and have hope they will bring us a combat system that we all love.

That being said, when it does goes to Alpha 2, we're looking at a year at least. that is the meat and potatoes of game development and will take the longest, beta's our marketing, and stress tests and usually very short.

It's hard to say for sure, because UE 5 is supposed to speed up development, and they're constantly adding to the team. So I will conclude with I'm hoping for the Best, and Expecting the Worst as far as timelines go.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • Options
    EyrateEyrate Member
    How will finances play into this? Other games have been forced out before they were ready. People have to be paid. Have to eat. Money can only last so long before they need a fresh way of bringing in more.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They announced that they are fully financed through release, thank goodness.
  • Options
    DrunkninjaDrunkninja Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Eyrate wrote: »
    How will finances play into this? Other games have been forced out before they were ready. People have to be paid. Have to eat. Money can only last so long before they need a fresh way of bringing in more.

Don’t worry, the games funded to completion
  • Options
    "As a general rule, if the testing phase contains the word Alpha, it is safe to assume there will likely be wipes. [3] – Steven Sharif"
    from
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Persistent_alpha#Server_wipes
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Santanico wrote: »

While I would love your timeline, I have been getting that sick feeling in my stomach from lack of news and no spot tests.

Lack of spot tests isnt something to be concerned about. Alpha 1 was a back end test that went very well. And with their weather system display, you can be confident they have a very high level team working on things. And you can know they are working on many aspects of things, not just one thing at a time.

Alpha 1 being a back end test, and going well means its time to make content, and complete systems. And ashes is biting off a lot with the amount of content they want to make. Stevens said in the past available content will have to be a lot in order to keep players involved, and intrepid is willing to take on that responsibility.

They have a very capable team, a solid vision of what they want made, and have passed the starting point with flying colors. Now its just leting them take the time needed to pump out that content.

And hoping steven has been honest about the state of their finances. Thats really it.
  • Options
    MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    I agree with Alpha 2 being 4th quarter 2023 to 1st quarter 2024. All we have seen up to this point is pretty videos displaying the new engine and what it can do. We have not seen a new class since before Alpha 1.

Take a moment to appreciate that. There are 8 core classes with 64 advanced classes and they have not shown a single core class since the original 3. It has been a year. At the rate they are going I would say my estimate is optimistic. I am hoping that many things have been worked on that for some reason they do not want to show us yet.

At some point soon, they need to start showing the actual game details beyond " it looks pretty".
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    And we should expect the Primary Archetypes we did see in Alpha to have significant changes.
    We should be hoping to see the new versions of those, as well.
  • Options
    BalanzBalanz Member
    Otr wrote: »
    Reading through these comments, I think Alpha 2 comes Q1 2024, Beta 1 in 2025 and Beta 2 in 2026. Game launch will happen 6 months after Beta 2, so it can be 2027.
    As I understand what is written in the Wiki, Alpha 2 represents the vast majority of testing prior to release, and they plan that both Betas will be quite brief.

I am of the opinion that both Betas will be longer than anticipated, as the success of Ashes depends largely on population behaviors, which Alpha 2 might not answer.
  • Options
    mykmyk Member
    Thanks for the comments folks. I've been following this game for a while, and it used to really get me interested and excited. I'm still going to give it a chance, but I guess I need to think this more like, a fantasy version of Star Citizen, not a real game I'll ever actually play in my lifetime. Oh well, appreciate the info!
  • Options
    In the (recent?) past, there was an option to buy a pack that offered A1 access, as I recall. I just pre-purchased and I couldn't see any pack that offered A1 access, only A2. If this phase was going to continue for a year or more, they would still offer a more expensive pack that includes A1, IMO. Maybe I just overlooked it..
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    In the (recent?) past, there was an option to buy a pack that offered A1 access, as I recall. I just pre-purchased and I couldn't see any pack that offered A1 access, only A2. If this phase was going to continue for a year or more, they would still offer a more expensive pack that includes A1, IMO. Maybe I just overlooked it..

Alpha one packs aren't available because alpha 1 is over.

We're all waiting for alpha 2 to begin. There's no testing phase right now.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    SzilSzil Member
    ok srsly any game dev or admin here who can at least say some releases aprox=?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No.
  • Options
    The latest combat update was outstanding.

One thing that stood out, in the pre-recorded portion of the stream, is how much Steven kept referencing all of the work they are doing to prep for Alpha 2. It is clear that Intrepid is squarely focused on A2 atm, and steadily marching toward that goal.

Then it happened. In the Twitch stream 01:41:17, Steven said, "It [the game] is getting CLOSE TO ALPHA 2 READY."

Close. To. Alpha. 2. Ready.

Is my call for A2 in Summer 2022 obnoxiously optimistic? Undoubtedly yes. But Q1 2024? Pssht. Mid 2023? No. We're much closer than that.

2022 confirmed. I'm not going to ease up on my Summer 2022 prediction until September 22nd. If we don't have a firm A2 date by then, I will revise my estimate to mid-Fall.

HYPE.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022

One thing that stood out, in the pre-recorded portion of the stream, is how much Steven kept referencing all of the work they are doing to prep for Alpha 2. It is clear that Intrepid is squarely focused on A2 atm, and steadily marching toward that goal.

Then it happened. In the Twitch stream 01:41:17, Steven said, "It [the game] is getting CLOSE TO ALPHA 2 READY."

Is my call for A2 in Summer 2022 obnoxiously optimistic? Undoubtedly yes. But Q1 2024? Pssht. Mid 2023? No. We're much closer than that.

2022 confirmed. I'm not going to ease up on my Summer 2022 prediction until September 22nd. If we don't have a firm A2 date by then, I will revise my estimate to mid-Fall.

HYPE.

I don't know if I am that optimistic however with the initial alpha 2 state only being half the map and lvling to lvl 35 I do think it's closer than people seem to think. Presuming no major hiccups I don't think it's Unreasonable to think end of this year/early next could be thr start of A2. A2 will be long as it's persistent and they will expand thr map/lvls/systems/music etc. I don't see betas for a while but I do see them being in succession maybe b1 a couple months out and b2 a few weeks out from launch.
  • Options

HYPE.

I just don't see it we probably still have 3 more months of combat showcases at minimum and I doubt they give any dates without it being finished or to the point where everything is working as intended. I think we'll get a date this year probably in November but there's no shot they're launching A2 1-2 months before the holidays.
  • Options
    RoxiRoxi Member
    Borealis wrote: »
    but there's no shot they're launching A2 1-2 months before the holidays.

So it will be a festive opening 😉
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • Options

HYPE.

I thought he meant the combat was nearly ready for A2 not the game.
  • Options
    Roxi wrote: »
    Borealis wrote: »
    but there's no shot they're launching A2 1-2 months before the holidays.

So it will be a festive opening 😉

They'll be out of the offices
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022

HYPE.

first off, he was not talking about the game being ready for Alpha 2 - Steven was referring to the Basic Weapon attacks (not even the whole combat) when he said "it's getting close to be A2 ready"

and in another moment the devs say they Still need to do basic weapon attack for All other weapons... they are clearly just beginning and the "close" part was only about the quality level on those basic attacks

plus, "close" in intrepid's language is 6~12 months if you are lucky lol

A2 is 100% not coming in at least another 6~12 months
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    Steven was referring to the Basic Weapon attacks (not even the whole combat) when he said "it's getting close to be A2 ready"

Nah
    Liniker wrote: »
    A2 is 100% not coming in at least another 6~12 months

So you're saying there's a chance?
  • Options
    Santanico wrote: »
    IMO, Alpha 2 this Summer. Beta 1 Q1 2023. Beta 2 Summer 2023. Launch Nov 2023.

Alpha 2 is stated to be a persistent alpha. My Q: does this mean the plan is to have the world up all the way to Beta? Ofc I realize there will probably be lengthy multi-week downtime, code changes, server wipes, etc. But aside from that, is the plan for Alpha 2 to run all the way to Beta?

While I would love your timeline, I have been getting that sick feeling in my stomach from lack of news and no spot tests. I'm sure they're working very hard and I feel it's mostly about the combat which is a major sticking point for them because they want it to be right.

They did a great job with the Char. Creation going above and beyond, as much as it sucks I will remain patient and have hope they will bring us a combat system that we all love.

That being said, when it does goes to Alpha 2, we're looking at a year at least. that is the meat and potatoes of game development and will take the longest, beta's our marketing, and stress tests and usually very short.

It's hard to say for sure, because UE 5 is supposed to speed up development, and they're constantly adding to the team. So I will conclude with I'm hoping for the Best, and Expecting the Worst as far as timelines go.

Since A2 will have nearly all full game release mechanics present, I don't see A2 coming out until Q1 2024 or maybe Q4 2023. 12 to 18 months really isn't that much time for todays game development.
  • Options
    FrostiWFrostiW Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    can't wait to play it
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    Nah

tf you mean "nah" ? just go listen to the clip, you only need like 5 IQ to understand the context.

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui