Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Regarding Narc support

Hello!,

I myself have been following ashes of creation on and off for the past few years, and keep getting more and more excited for the games future, but I just wondered if you're (the game devs) already sponsoring Narc (from youtube)?
If you are not already, I think it would be in your best interest to do so. I may be alone in this opinion, but I'm sure time will tell if this post evolves.
Either from my POV as a regular user, who haven't bought into the game yet, but intends to buy on launch, or possibly buy one of the cheaper tiers when betas come closer:
As said i've been watching vicariously on and off for a few years now, and my passions and hype for the game has gone up and down too, or at least that was the case until I started watching Narcs videos. He really has an entertaining platform going, and I have never been as close to clicking buy after I started watching his videos. It may seem a bit strange from a bussiness standpoint, mainly because he is quite critical of the game and far from PC, but I believe his brutal honesty is what makes me feel more and more trusting of your game. For whatever faults it may have, it seems like you guys actually care a lot about the development and future of this game.

I am not aware of any support Narc has recieved from Intrepid Studios as of yet, and so I felt compelled to make to post in hopes that they (you will).
He is relatively smalltime for a youtuber (almost 30k subs as I'm writing this), and in my experience with creators like Captain Benzie from EVE echoes, he needs direct support from the game studio itself, because his limited high quality hyper focused content, wont net him a big enough viewership to surstain his channel in the long run.
I have no idea about economy otherwise, but I do imagine he has a dayjob, he can't be without.
And do not be in doubt, I think what he brings to your game is more than worthwile for your community, as well as future users.

Help him Steve! Help him fight the big Algore!

much love to you all, hope to see you some day in Verra
50huc3qnxyxx.gif

Comments

• Options
    It's not really Intrepid's job to support independent content creators. I won't really touch on the "content creator program" because I and some of the community (don't really know the scale) are a little skeptical about what this provides for content creators.

At the moment Narc putting out the most videos and Asmongold following closely is helping him grow, so for an Ashes creator he is arguably doing pretty well. So if he's already putting out content, I'm not sure why Intrepid needs to get involved.

I think like any career, if he's committing quality content then the results will show and the people will flock in.

And one last thing... I am personally against a game sponsoring a CC as you immediately invite the risk of losing the impartiality of being an independent content creator. Money most definitely doesn't come without strings attached - and that also is part of the skepticism with the content creator program.

Narc's content is definitely an acquired taste and personally I usually skip through the skits and I don't exactly learn anything as I follow and do enough research that I am pretty well informed, BUT - for some reason I still watch them as he is at least putting the work in, whether it's to your taste or not. Maybe in a world where the MMO community (sub reddit) is SO negative about everything - maybe it leaves me with a sweeter taste in my mouth following a bit more optimism than the alternative.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    That would be a bad road for Intrepid to go down, I think. They can't just play favourite with one content creator out of hundreds, or even thousands. That just opens up several cans of smelly worms at once. And sponsoring a ton of independent content creators all at once is also a bad idea economically and ethically. I would also never trust a content creator who receives money (regularly) from Intrepid. Their opinions and takes on the game would be compromised.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    That would be a bad road for Intrepid to go down, I think. They can't just play favourite with one content creator out of hundreds, or even thousands. That just opens up several cans of smelly worms at once. And sponsoring a ton of independent content creators all at once is also a bad idea economically and ethically. I would also never trust a content creator who receives money from Intrepid. Their opinions and takes on the game would be compromised.

Sponsoring a content creator that is already putting out positive content for you is idiotic to begin with.

First of all, why pay for something that already happens for free. Secondly, this would just as end up hurting Narc' credibility among the common crowd and hence be counterproductive. "Of course he hypes up the game, he is being paid to do so".

Create a good game and content creators will flock to it providing marketing for free
  • Options
    lord-pleas-help-oh-no.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Have a word with yourself...
  • Options
    Listen kid... if you really think Intrepid should officially sponsor narc... go ask him directly to apply for the Content Creator program... because you are HIGH ON COPIUM
    txqcm3n87688.png
    Monkey Business (EU) is RECRUITING
    kWbm5nG.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, Intrepid sponsoring an independent content creator would immediately turn them into a paid shill instead.
  • Options
    Daggial wrote: »
    Listen kid... if you really think Intrepid should officially sponsor narc... go ask him directly to apply for the Content Creator program... because you are HIGH ON COPIUM
    txqcm3n87688.png

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Regardless of whether this is a good or bad idea from Intrepid's point of view, I have one question for you, @Murgo:

If those videos said "Sponsored by Intrepid Studios" at the end, would you still feel reassured by his approach, and lead to trust the game's development? Or would the "indicator of monetary bias" negatively affect your perception of Narc's trustworthyness?

Depending on how that sort of thing affects his audience (I'm not familiar), it may be that regardless of how it affects Intrepid, this could be at least slightly bad for Narc.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    The last thing @Murgo sees in discord...[pic related]

6mhmey4pfsz1.png
  • Options
    Independent content creators.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    BaltanBaltan Member
    edited August 2022
    I get what you're saying, I love narc and his content and it would be nice if he got some sort of support from intrepid, I'm not saying sponsorship necessarily but nods to him and a plug in their dev vids once in awhile would help his subscriber numbers alot probably♥️
  • Options
    You're also assuming that none of them already subscribe.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    Regardless of whether this is a good or bad idea from Intrepid's point of view, I have one question for you, @Murgo:

If those videos said "Sponsored by Intrepid Studios" at the end, would you still feel reassured by his approach, and lead to trust the game's development? Or would the "indicator of monetary bias" negatively affect your perception of Narc's trustworthyness?

Depending on how that sort of thing affects his audience (I'm not familiar), it may be that regardless of how it affects Intrepid, this could be at least slightly bad for Narc.

Appreciate the answer here, as you're the first to actually read, and not respond with being a dick. TBH until I read yours I was loosing faith in the playerbase, because if people are just going to drag me through the mud for making a suggestion, rather than come with structured criticism, I'm not sure I'd feel all that confident investing into a social experience with these kinds of people in the first place - So again Thank you!

To respond I'd say: no
    I never intended Narc to have Intrepid behind him carrying his already positively growing channel, but as others have pointed out, I think shoutouts, early access and whatever ressources he might need would be a heck of a great deal for both intrepid as well as Narc. I never meant full on payroll by the word support, but I do get how people can feel that the word is a bit jaded these days (my bad).
    To further elaborate, I also didn't mean for this to only extend to one content creator, but to all of them putting out quality content, but I just so happened to be most fond of Narc, and so I made this thread. Anyone feeling other creators need to be mentioned are welcome to namedrop in another post, or heck even post them here xD.

That's pretty much it.
    And last but not least I hope the rude people in this thread would reconsider their behavior and harsh tone, if they indeed would like to have a good experience with the game in the future, because noone really likes a douchebag when it comes down to it in the end (and this part was not directed at you at all SongRune, just to be clear).

- Cheers copium huffers
    50huc3qnxyxx.gif
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    Intrepid is already working on setting up a Content Creator Program, which offers many various benefits to content creators like Narc. All he has to do is submit a form saying "hey, I'm a content creator! hook me up!".
    The Wiki wrote:
    Content Creator Program Benefits

Intrepid Studios will help promote your content on official channels.[2]
    Customized referral codes.[2]
    Subscription time.[2]
    Giveaway bundles to give out to your community (primarily for after release; no pay to win items - only cosmetic or merch-related).[2]
    Flagged as a Content Creator on Discord and Forums.[2]
    Access to private Content Creator Program Discord and Forums.[2]
    Access to all private NDA testing and public testing phases.[2]
    Access to developers for exclusive interviews.[2]
    Access to an annual Town Hall Event - a meeting with the development team to talk about the future of Ashes of Creation.[2]
    Access to high resolution images from Intrepid's updates to use in content creation.[2]
    Asset assistance - Overlays, social media graphics, emotes, etc.[2]
    Equipment - Ashes of Creation-themed package with shirts, water bottle, keyboard, mouse, mouse pad, headset, mic, etc.[2]
    And more.[2]
    (ref: Official Content Creator Program)

They've already received almost more applications than can handle and were looking at adding a staff member specifically to manage this program a while back. They're still working on getting it off the ground last I heard, but Intrepid is definitely doing their part. If you think Narc isn't aware of it through his research, maybe tell him. Otherwise, though, I think you're set.

I think the main reason you got the responses you did is you started out by asking Intrepid to sponsor Narc, which (in most contexts these days) basically always means money or physical stuff. You may not have meant "hey you guys should pay my specific favorite creator to make videos for you", but that's what everyone heard. Particularly since you never mentioned what kind of support you did mean, it was the only reasonable assumption.
  • Options
    Help him Steve! Help him fight the big Algore!

You say this yet you can't take the reference at the end of videos from his own channel?

I'm not convinced you meant anything else but money because even in his videos and youtube as a whole a sponsor means you are being payed to show a product people aren't naïve, even your favorite youtuber knows that.

So you are saying AoC needs to support every smaller youtube creator because they make content on AoC, that isn't how it work lol. A good youtube channel gets advantage from companies since they have more eyes and there for are worth supporting (paying for them). I'm sure you will see that with the youtube content creator program as they will be using youtubers to advertise their game and paying them a lot.

If you can't handle memes you shouldn't say memes in your post, and your post is directed at one person rather than being a open disccusion...
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

You say this yet you can't take the reference at the end of videos from his own channel?

I'm not convinced you meant anything else but money because even in his videos and youtube as a whole a sponsor means you are being payed to show a product people aren't naïve, even your favorite youtuber knows that.

Oh brother... you really like to nitpick don't you?
    And wether you believe me or not I really don't care, because I know what I meant, and as you even admitted yourself it was up to open interpretation, and yet the majority chose to take it in a bad way. Even the title of my post is fairly humble and suggestive. I don't work in absolutes here, and yet I am being vilified as if I thought my own words to be law.
    It was a suggestion, and instead of being so insistant on silencing every little idea that may come out, you people should maybe just either not get involved, or participate at least in a more constructive way.
    So far SongRune raised some great points through constructive criticism without being disrespectful, and it would be nice for you to try that, if you truly has something useful to add to the conversation.

I really didn't mean money, and my best proof is that I compared him to Captain Benzie, who creates content on eve echoes. I've followed him over the years when playing, and he speaks to a nische audience, which is why it has been super helpful that the company owning the game has chosen early on to support him with early access to tests as well as ingame rewards he could giveaway as prizes to his viewers and also insights into the development of the game.
    I truly believe that's what have kept him afloat all this time because it has help him make higher quality content and stay relevant enough for people to patron him enough that he could still make it, even through he never broke into the 100k's of views.

You can believe that or not, frankly the way you've been going I doubt you even read my posts in full, but either way good day sir! and I hope you mature your way of communicating over time.
    50huc3qnxyxx.gif
  • Options
    Murgo wrote: »
    frankly the way you've been going I doubt you even read my posts in full

Heh, post something worthwhile, and I'll read it in full! :D
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Murgo = Narc
  • Options
    don't with sponors that just ruins there credibility -> much like asmond, narc and all the others will probably just get on there CC program.
  • Options
    Content creators are trying to make a name for themselves and make money off YouTube and Twitch. They will do this without sponsorship and it's already free advertisement. There will always be content creators creating stuff about various games, it's not like they can demand sponsorship for it as if they do there will always be someone else doing it for free.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Murgo = Narc

Lies, he would never make a post like this lol.
  • Options
    And I thought this thread would be about Narc, the targeting assist missile system from Battletech....
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Murgo = Narc

Lies, he would never make a post like this lol.

Mag7spy = Narc
  • Options
    Besides everything people have mentioned, there is one more aspect. He just doesn't have that big a channel.

If Intrepid were to invest into a content creator (which we've established would create a weird precedent) they would gun for a much larger content creator. Steven seems to like Asmongold well enough that he'd go for someone of his type and size. Make of that what you will lol.
    Sig-ult-2.png