Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Are there going to be other political positions?

GalvyrGalvyr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Other than Mayors and Monarchs, will there be other elected/appointed positions of power? Like a Harbor Master or a Bishop or something? If there aren’t, shouldn’t there be? It seems like being a Mayor or Monarch might be overwhelming if the work isn’t divided up in someway. Especially in regard to a Metropolis.

Comments

• SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    I can't imagine a mayor's job being overwhelming to any player who was seriously interested in becoming one in the first place. What do you anticipate the workload would come from? What tasks do you foresee being so numerous or involved that a Mayor, or even Monarch, would seriously struggle to keep up?

From what I understand, the Mayor's mechanical tasks are only setting policies (which don't change constantly), starting node advancement or construction projects (a couple a day is probably a lot unless the node is really pushing to grow), or declaring enemies of the state.

Anything else is community management, which can already be delegated to others (player assistants and advisors) in whatever structure the mayor prefers. If anything, what you describe would be a way to increase conflict within a node and consume more of a mayor's time, by creating politics between the Mayor and Harbormaster, or similar related things.
  • GalvyrGalvyr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Great response! That makes a lot of sense. I guess the only thing I would see that would be something the Mayor would have to actively change would be the tax rate in order to react to economic changes and to provide incentive. Also, managing happiness might be something they will have to actively watch out for. I guess being a Mayor can be an involved as you want it to be.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There are some other government positions. Yes.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Node_governments
    Priests, Bishops, Acolytes...
    Chief Bounty Hunter...
    Patron Guild leaders...
    Possibly Social Org leaders...
  • GalvyrGalvyr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    Chief Bounty Hunter...
    Patron Guild leaders...

Thanks!
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Dygz wrote: »
    Chief Bounty Hunter...
    Patron Guild leaders...

Exactly this!

As Steven has said, "There are a lot of things that you can strive for within [a node] that grant you that special treatment."
    community_management.gif
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Mayors and Kings are also going to be able to appoint some people to some positions of power, for example: a Mayor can appoint someone as "Node architect" who is able to start node upgrades, the same for a King but to start castle upgrades. Basically trusted deputies.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶