Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Possibility to reborn to increase the duration of the game?

I think the few weeks to reach max level announced by Steven are not enough and will limit the duration of the game.

The last 10 levels should take at least 20 - 50 hours of grinding per level.

I am even in favor of an extremely long and tedious quest to rise from the ashes (rebirth).

Prerequisite for this quest:

- Write a nice RP story to justify a rebirth.
- Tons of items to farm and craft
- Some rare items needed to increase the difficulty of the quest
- Quest accessible from the maximum level (70 ? if I'm not mistaken).

Reward :

Rebirth level 1 with some bonus points to be distributed in stats/magical resistances/magical power

So it will take at least 6 months (or even a year for a casual) to reach max level.

Comments

• Options
    Thing is, the core of the game is almost the game. The game doesn't fundamentally change at level 50
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »
    I think the few weeks to reach max level announced by Steven are not enough and will limit the duration of the game.

I am even in favor of an extremely long and tedious quest to rise from the ashes (rebirth).

Reward :

Rebirth level 1 with some bonus points to be distributed in stats/magical resistances/magical power

So it will take at least 6 months (or even a year for a casual) to reach max level.

As cool of an idea as this would be, I think that would extend the grind to something that would be a slog to all but the most active players. As someone who has a job and can't sink in 12+ hours a day. I look forward to the journey of a few hundred hours with my friends to then hit max level and start creating the story of my server. Progression isn't just leveling, and I am sure there will be plenty of end game stuff to do. This also opens up a weird paradigm where no-lifers would just rebirth over and over and over and using your reward examples would have a scaling (albeit horrendously slow) mitigation that would warp the game over time. I could see a melee DPS who is through their 10th rebirth and can basically tank content because of magic resistance/health pool/etc.

Again on paper that idea seems kind of cool from the perspective of there being a person on the server who has attained "legendary" status in the server mythos but I am not sure that extending the leveling process would reap the expected result.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022
    Nova_terra wrote: »

Reward :

As cool of an idea as this would be, I think that would extend the grind to something that would be a slog to all but the most active players. As someone who has a job and can't sink in 12+ hours a day. I look forward to the journey of a few hundred hours with my friends to then hit max level and start creating the story of my server. Progression isn't just leveling, and I am sure there will be plenty of end game stuff to do. This also opens up a weird paradigm where no-lifers would just rebirth over and over and over and using your reward examples would have a scaling (albeit horrendously slow) mitigation that would warp the game over time. I could see a melee DPS who is through their 10th rebirth and can basically tank content because of magic resistance/health pool/etc.

Again on paper that idea seems kind of cool from the perspective of there being a person on the server who has attained "legendary" status in the server mythos but I am not sure that extending the leveling process would reap the expected result.

Im never talked about 10 rebirths. Just one.

And as you told, leveling is not the only progression so it is not necessary to be max level to enjoy. If it take very long to reach max level it means many players will not be max level. So what's the problem.

And yes you have a job and a family like the majority of the players.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Most players expect to spend most of their time in an MMORPG at the level cap.

The time it takes to reach said level cap has no relation to how long an average player is going to spend in an MMORPG.

If anything, the longer it takes, the less likely new players are to join the game post launch.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022
    Noaani wrote: »

The time it takes to reach said level cap has no relation to how long an average player is going to spend in an MMORPG.

If anything, the longer it takes, the less likely new players are to join the game post launch.

The usual “Most players” based and ghost statistics. You mean “you” )))
  • Options
    Nova_terraNova_terra Member
    edited November 2022

I believe you think this would be an interesting mechanic. But what it would boil down to is that the level cap isn't 50, but 50 + rebirth. Which would just basically double the time it takes to level, and Noaani is correct in this instance that if anything that would turn people off. I don't need statistics when your argument is "most people would enjoy 1000 hours of gameplay before hitting end game". It just doesn't make much sense in a player retention metric and the barrier to get to said end game.

You also stated that Rebirth as a mechanic if you get the chance to do it once, what should the reward be? if it's too powerful everyone is required to do it to be considered "geared" or at endgame. Not enough and you are doubling the leveling experience (which should be fun based on IS stance) for what.. 2% damage mitigation? Not sure that will be peoples cup of tea or even worth it. To each their own but that doesn't sound inviting in either case.

I do appreciate conversation and ideas being introduced so don't take this as me shutting you down. Just more my own thoughts on the topic and not reflective whatsoever of the total population as I can't speak for anyone other than myself.

edit: added word.
  • Options

There have been a number of MMO's in the past that release statistics for things like this. A lot of games used to talk about these statistics leading up to a new expansion - they would say how many hours in total had been spent in the game, how many of those hours were at max level, how many hours were of which class or race, all sorts of things.

Also, a lot of games have achievements where you can infer your own assumptions.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022

I believe you think this would be an interesting mechanic. But what it would boil down to is that the level cap isn't 50, but 50 + rebirth. Which would just basically double the time it takes to level, and Noaani is correct in this instance that if anything that would turn people off. I don't need statistics when your argument is "most people would enjoy 1000 hours of gameplay before hitting end game". It just doesn't make much sense in a player retention metric and the barrier to get to said end game.

You also stated that Rebirth as a mechanic if you get the chance to do it once, what should the reward be? if it's too powerful everyone is required to do it to be considered "geared" or at endgame. Not enough and you are doubling the leveling experience (which should be fun based on IS stance) for what.. 2% damage mitigation? Not sure that will be peoples cup of tea or even worth it. To each their own but that doesn't sound inviting in either case.

I do appreciate conversation and ideas being introduced so don't take this as me shutting you down. Just more my own thoughts on the topic and not reflective whatsoever of the total population as I can't speak for anyone other than myself.

edit: added word.

I mean I have experimented rebirth in some game and it was really fun to do. Some was taking their time to reborn and play few weeks max level. And then when they wanted to change, they reborned.

The reward should be just few resist/power. Nothing which make you totally OP in front of other players (not reborned), but few interesting bonuses which should be balanced of course.

PS : I am also opened to dialog, my expeditious previous comment was for Naoni. I don't like this way of positioning oneself as the one who gathers and speaks on behalf of others.
  • Options
    [
    PS : I am also opened to dialog, my expeditious previous comment was for Naoni. I don't like this way of positioning oneself as the one who gathers and speaks on behalf of others.
    I'm not speaking for other players. I am speaking about statistics.

Statistically, most time spent in an MMORPG is at the level cap.

Even if we ignore the fact that your reason given for this suggestion (increasing the duration of the game), there are still questions to be asked about this.

The main question is - why would people bother? If the inky thing to be gained is a small bost to some stats or resistance or what ever, people would be better off farming content at the level cap to get gear. In the time it would take you to do this rebirth, I'll be half way through the level cap itemization progression - which will give me a significant signficant advantage over you.

If you want to make it so that the advantage reflects the time commitment, then your motion of players that have gone through this rebirth being only slightly ahead of those that have not goes out the window.

If you want to make it so the advantage gained is set to a minimum to preserve that marginal gain over those that have not does their rebirth, then you need to adjust the time commitment to match. This would mean (based on how little of an advantage you say you want) it would only take a few days.

As an idea, I'm sure there is something in here that could work. However, there are things to be ironed out first - and your reason for wanting this in the first place is just the start.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    I am in for reborning if when can have more masteries:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Artisan_classes
    A character may only master one of the three parent artisan classes.[2]
    It is possible to master up to two or three professions within this mastered artisan class per character (subject to testing).[5][6][2][7]
    A character will be able to achieve up to tier 3 or tier 4 proficiency in professions that are not mastered.[5]

I don't like going back to level 1, if I do then I want to be able to train more stuff.

MOAR

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    I mean, this is what pre alpha forum banter is for right? Talking about systems that we have no idea about. I do think the idea of having a small amount of people be "reborn" would be cool. From a simple concept standpoint giving them the advantage that makes them stronger by a modest margin would be inbalanced obviously but could lead to factional/war leader type effects that make them stronger than your average BiS person but make it conditional like the Mayor of a metro + other stuff. I think there is no chance anything even remotely close to this ever makes beta or launch but cool idea nonetheless.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I am in for reborning if when can have more masteries:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Artisan_classes
    A character may only master one of the three parent artisan classes.[2]
    It is possible to master up to two or three professions within this mastered artisan class per character (subject to testing).[5][6][2][7]
    A character will be able to achieve up to tier 3 or tier 4 proficiency in professions that are not mastered.[5]

I don't like going back to level 1, if I do then I want to be able to train more stuff.

MOAR

I could see this as an idea - resetting your professions in order to re-level with one additional mastery.
  • Options
    [

Even if we ignore the fact that your reason given for this suggestion (increasing the duration of the game), there are still questions to be asked about this.

The main question is - why would people bother? If the inky thing to be gained is a small bost to some stats or resistance or what ever, people would be better off farming content at the level cap to get gear. In the time it would take you to do this rebirth, I'll be half way through the level cap itemization progression - which will give me a significant signficant advantage over you.

If you want to make it so that the advantage reflects the time commitment, then your motion of players that have gone through this rebirth being only slightly ahead of those that have not goes out the window.

If you want to make it so the advantage gained is set to a minimum to preserve that marginal gain over those that have not does their rebirth, then you need to adjust the time commitment to match. This would mean (based on how little of an advantage you say you want) it would only take a few days.

As an idea, I'm sure there is something in here that could work. However, there are things to be ironed out first - and your reason for wanting this in the first place is just the start.

I cannot really understand what you are trying to explain but there are MM in the past with Rebirth which have been huge success (RO online for exemple, or the 4th coming if we go further and there others).

I mean, this is what pre alpha forum banter is for right? Talking about systems that we have no idea about. I do think the idea of having a small amount of people be "reborn" would be cool. From a simple concept standpoint giving them the advantage that makes them stronger by a modest margin would be inbalanced obviously but could lead to factional/war leader type effects that make them stronger than your average BiS person but make it conditional like the Mayor of a metro + other stuff. I think there is no chance anything even remotely close to this ever makes beta or launch but cool idea nonetheless.

The bonus could be the following :

- +1 additional profession (without loosing the one you already have)
    - 20 points to distribute where you want (magical resistance or magical power)
    - A distinctive aesthetic sign designed to make the rebirth visible to all.

Nothing totally cheater but something which is still very good to have.
  • Options
    Might be a cool idea further down the line. If they launched something like this alongside a new expansion it could be a cool way to get more players into lower level content to play with any new players the expansion attracted. I don't think the game needs to launch with this feature though, if only because I don't want any more feature creep so that the game will come out sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    More inventory space at banks... more more orders at the market, being able to train more professions, being able to access a specific area, etc... im in for being reborn for quality of life in the game

But in general, I strongly dislike having to level again for no reason
  • Options
    More inventory space at banks... more more orders at the market, being able to train more professions, being able to access a specific area, etc... im in for being reborn for quality of life in the game

It is not “for no reason”. Your character is reborn stronger and when you know the game it’s much easier for leveling.

And as you noticed there are a lot of economical advantages.
  • Options

It is not “for no reason”. Your character is reborn stronger and when you know the game it’s much easier for leveling.

I don't like that people can be reborn to get stronger, because then the nerds who will play 10 hours a day will be much stronger than the people who play in a more casual way

If the rebirth provides economical, quality of life, cosmetics and access to stuff then it's fine by me
  • Options
    [

I cannot really understand what you are trying to explain but there are MM in the past with Rebirth which have been huge success (RO online for exemple, or the 4th coming if we go further and there others).

As I said, main the issue is with your reason for wanting it. It is not a mechanic that will extend the life of a game.
  • Options

I don't like that people can be reborn to get stronger, because then the nerds who will play 10 hours a day will be much stronger than the people who play in a more casual way

If the rebirth provides economical, quality of life, cosmetics and access to stuff then it's fine by me

This is also true for every single mechanics of an MMO. A guy with more time has higher level, better gear, more gold.
  • Options

Reward :

No they should'nt. Just because you have nothing to do, doesn't mean the rest of us don't have. We have a job. Some got school. Some got a part time job, after school. Friends, family. Sport. Need to do stuff around the home, like cook, clean
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I'm curious, for what reason do you feel a prestige system is necessary for your enjoyment of Ashes of Creation?

I highly recommend you check out the wiki to learn more about leveling and about the endgame experience of Ashes of Creation!

I'll also leave you with this quote from a former member of the team that still remains true: "Part of the whole experience with nodes is that there is no real end-game, in that the world is constantly shifting every day. Month one is going to be really different from month two; and that's for the level 50s and level 1s"

P.S. Max level cap is 50! :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options

Reward :

well, that's basically like ragnarok. i wouldn't mind something like this but not at launch. maybe 1 year after launch,s ure.

making leveling hard just to make leveling hard isn't a good idea. there has to be a purpose behind it. since its a game with owpvp, such system would mean that being 1 or 2 levels above your opponent would make it almost impossible for them to beat you.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022
    insomnia wrote: »

Reward :

No they should'nt. Just because you have nothing to do, doesn't mean the rest of us don't have. We have a job. Some got school. Some got a part time job, after school. Friends, family. Sport. Need to do stuff around the home, like cook, clean

The remark "You have nothing to do in your life while I have a very important life" could have been avoided. It's low, childish and toxic.

Apart from this IRL attack, the time argument is not valid either. An MMO is time-consuming and if the time is not spent in levelling, is spent in the search for gear, the Craft or whatever talk with ur friends IG.

As an MMO is supposed to be infinite, there is never enough time for the game. During the periods when I have too much to do IRL, I don't play MMOs.

Next time try to avoid toxic comments, it might harm the forum and the atmosphere of the game.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022
    Double message to delete pls
  • Options

Next time try to avoid toxic comments, it might harm the forum and the atmosphere of the game.

Nothing inherently toxic in the post you quoted.

If you took it that way, that's on you. If you stop looking for toxicity, you are likely to stop finding it.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022

Nothing inherently toxic in the post you quoted.

If you took it that way, that's on you. If you stop looking for toxicity, you are likely to stop finding it.

Implying that someone is a no-lifer is toxic behavior and an IRL attack (whether you like it or not).

I don't feel personally concerned because contrary to what this person implies, I have a full life. But I do know that this is the kind of behavior that can turn off some players. The kind of behavior to be avoided, as it is a total lack of respect.
  • Options
    Implying that someone is a no-lifer is toxic behavior and an IRL attack (whether you like it or not).

Saying that *could* be, depends doing on how it is said.

Implying it is not. If it is just implied, and you take offense to it, that is purely on you. Offense is more often taken than it is given.

Again, if you dont go looking for it, you will not find it. The flip side of that is that if you go around looking to be offended, you will be
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022

Implying it is not. If it is just implied, and you take offense to it, that is purely on you. Offense is more often taken than it is given.

Again, if you dont go looking for it, you will not find it. The flip side of that is that if you go around looking to be offended, you will be

I've noticed that you have an annoying tendency to dwell on the irrelevant. Even on subjects that don't concern you. I will avoid continuing this debate with you. That was not the purpose of the post.
  • Options

I've noticed that you have an annoying tendency to dwell on the irrelevant. Even on subjects that don't concern you. I will avoid continuing this debate with you. That was not the purpose of the post.

I reply to the posts others make that I consider worth replying to.

If I dont reply to the topic you consider relevant, it is because I do not consider it relevant.

If you quote someone accusing them of being toxic when they were not, I consider that worth replying to. If you do not consider it worth replying to, then dont reply.

Once again though, the post you quoted was in no way toxic.
  • Options
    insomniainsomnia Member
    edited November 2022
    insomnia wrote: »

Reward :

The remark "You have nothing to do in your life while I have a very important life" could have been avoided. It's low, childish and toxic.

Apart from this IRL attack, the time argument is not valid either. An MMO is time-consuming and if the time is not spent in levelling, is spent in the search for gear, the Craft or whatever talk with ur friends IG.

As an MMO is supposed to be infinite, there is never enough time for the game. During the periods when I have too much to do IRL, I don't play MMOs.

I never said i had an importent life, i said i had an adults life. It's not childish. I'm just saying how it is for most people. The argument is valid. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't change how things are. Yes mmo's are time-consuming. But there can also be a limit. I actualy quit Lost Ark, because i never felt i was done with the dailies. There is nothing wrong with being done for the day in a game. Then perhaps you can play something else. Watch a movie, a series. The other mentality is so old and obsolete. It's called progression.