Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Open Chat system or no?

BrotgutraBrotgutra Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited November 22 in General Discussion
I have recently wondered if an open chat system is beneficial. In an MMO we can use other ways to communicate like /wave or WTT and link the item for trade or even LFG then link the content. What does an open chat really provide? I think, if there is a proper auction system and a proper grouping system in place, general chat is obsolete. I find myself far more immersed when chat isn't even on. General chat topics seem to be about politics, religion or just trolling in general. How many people turn general chat off or ignore it all together? I'm not suggesting to have no chat at all, because I do think party chat or raid chat is probably necessary. I came to this thought while questing in a low level zone in wow classic with no chat on. A few other players would /wave or /ty as we passed or provided buffs to each other. I found that, without the distraction of the general chat, I was far more immersed questing in that zone with its music and overall experience. Also, turning chat on/off is not what i'm suggesting. If we don't have general chat we will have other ( better in my hopes) systems in place to communicate without all the opinions and discussions that are not relevant to the game.

Comments

  • NiKrNiKr Member
    If you don't like general chat then just turn it off? Why do you want to take away literally the only way for people to communicate amongst each other outside of groups/guilds?
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    in most, if not all mmos you can turn off chat, what's your concern here?
    oficial-baner2.png
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Brotgutra wrote: »
    I have recently wondered if an open chat system is beneficial. In an MMO we can use other ways to communicate like /wave or WTT and link the item for trade or even LFG then link the content. What does an open chat really provide? I think, if there is a proper auction system and a proper grouping system in place, general chat is obsolete. I find myself far more immersed when chat isn't even on. General chat topics seem to be about politics, religion or just trolling in general. How many people turn general chat off or ignore it all together? I'm not suggesting to have no chat at all, because I do think party chat or raid chat is probably necessary. I came to this thought while questing in a low level zone in wow classic with no chat on. A few other players would /wave or /ty as we passed or provided buffs to each other. I found that, without the distraction of the general chat, I was far more immersed questing in that zone with its music and overall experience. Also, turning chat on/off is not what i'm suggesting. If we don't have general chat we will have other ( better in my hopes) systems in place to communicate without all the opinions and discussions that are not relevant to the game.

    Classic WoW chat is so immature and toxic that non classic players would not even believe me now.
    In other games chat was usually chill, in classic however people have these immature jokes. I hate it.
    And when you ask something, they troll you... Always jokes around trolling.

    NW chat was pretty quiet, sometimes people would argue about game or games in general (MMORPG), I rarely saw trolling or jokes about politics and these kind of jokes that only person that is full of himself can talk.

    GW2 chat was the best in my opinion, always friendly and helpful and no immature persons.

    I guess depends on which server you end up, at first I liked Zandalar Tribe RPPVP classic server in vanilla, because everyone was ''talking''. But then I found that usually immature people talk and there is no real talk going on, just some kind of trolling. Other servers however were quiet, but they were heavily competitive servers without open world PVP because server was one-sided.
  • GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Are chat systems beyond party and guild chat in a MMO useful? I can't believe the mentality WoW has brought to this genre.
    bRVL6TR.png


  • Goalid wrote: »
    Are chat systems beyond party and guild chat in a MMO useful? I can't believe the mentality WoW has brought to this genre.

    triple like :wink:
    the beginning of wisdom is to know you know nothing
  • Online games are "social", whether we like it or not. Humans will spend time on here, like on many other platforms, it's essential to allow people to communicate. Like anything, there is a better and a worse side. It's not because there is a risk of degeneration that you should cut off general chat completely. Think about a city in real life where people can't talk to each other. If that idea makes sense to you, it is because you need to improve your mindset and social outlook. Communicating is a human need.

    The quality of the chat is constructed by the players who use it, specifically by "what kind of discussions they bring forth" and "what kind of comments they ignore".

    There is always option to change chat rooms or disable certain chats. If you are distracted and dont like general chat, just close it.

  • BrotgutraBrotgutra Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is more about immersion with the area you're in. I don't think a conversation about Ivana Trump's panties is a relevant or an immersive topic for a quest into the tower of Azora. I explained a scenario that I experienced and enjoyed it, so I wanted to share as a topic of conversation.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Brotgutra wrote: »
    This is more about immersion with the area you're in. I don't think a conversation about Ivana Trump's panties is a relevant or an immersive topic for a quest into the tower of Azora. I explained a scenario that I experienced and enjoyed it, so I wanted to share as a topic of conversation.
    If general chat interrupts your immersion or RP, you're always free to turn it off. But there's no reason to ask for its full removal.
  • Or let's take away everyhting related to keyboard and play only with mouse )
  • Brotgutra wrote: »
    This is more about immersion with the area you're in. I don't think a conversation about Ivana Trump's panties is a relevant or an immersive topic for a quest into the tower of Azora. I explained a scenario that I experienced and enjoyed it, so I wanted to share as a topic of conversation.

    what prevents other players from talking about her panties while doing the same quest you are doing, right next to you?
  • voice or text as long as theres an option to enable / disable both then thats all you need. if you dont wanna talk / type then dont. if you are social butterfly that likes to ramble for hours go for it. as long as the option to engage / ignore it is available is all you need
Sign In or Register to comment.