Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

re-watching alpha 1 footage -- Areafiftyone

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
ive just spent a few hours watching alpha 1 footage, it seems alot further along and polished than i seem to remember.

the visuals already at that point looked great and the gameplay was not terrible and that was before the many updates over the past 18 months, hopefully this means A2 is not tooo far away,

if anyone would like a good channel to watch check out Areafiftyone on youtube he has some pretty decent videos and they are super chill, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfxECsIbJps

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The cleric was awesome in A1 but the devs seemed to have switched from instant casts to no longer instant casts. I feel there should be a switch back to instant cast especially seeing the new ranger and fighter.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »
    The cleric was awesome in A1 but the devs seemed to have switched from instant casts to no longer instant casts. I feel there should be a switch back to instant cast especially seeing the new ranger and fighter.

you are 100% right mate, the cleric in the ''cleric reveal'' was very underwhelming, im not sure if they just missed half of the toolkit but it looked super clunky, the aoe stun looked terrible imo, i think a fun aspect of healing is being very mobile and being able to position your self in the best spots to assist your team but the way it looked in the last footage seemed like you were playing while also trying to walk through wet-drying concrete
    I've rewatched the recent cleric footage multiple times and the issue relates to damage reduction. The basic weapon attack did abysmal damage and the usual heal/damage abilities werent present. Thus, we had a heal bot non instant cast cleric in a situation where a heal bot wasn't even required.

I love the idea of conviction but it needs broader application. I realise heal bots have to be built but the old heal/damage build has disappeared. I felt more damage abilities are required at lower level too. I'm not sure who the latest cleric was aimed at because most A1 testers who played cleric in a1 loved the cleric in a1.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Funny enough I did the same, was re-watching some old content and the game just made me feel like it was cool and it looked surprisingly good. Hopefully this continues to be reflected in development and that we will get our hands on the game soon to test if they stayed true from A1 to A2
    I've rewatched the recent cleric footage multiple times and the issue relates to damage reduction. The basic weapon attack did abysmal damage and the usual heal/damage abilities werent present. Thus, we had a heal bot non instant cast cleric in a situation where a heal bot wasn't even required.

I love the idea of conviction but it needs broader application. I realise heal bots have to be built but the old heal/damage build has disappeared. I felt more damage abilities are required at lower level too. I'm not sure who the latest cleric was aimed at because most A1 testers who played cleric in a1 loved the cleric in a1.

definitely, the cleric was ofcoarse over powered in A1 but i dont think thats why people loved it,
    the playstyle was just fun, more like a paladin type of class, it could be scaled back ofcoarse but i definitley dont think a heal class should have to have root in place combat abilities like stuns or roots for example, i think some big heals could have a cast time and be un usable while moving but being able to run around, cast hots while on the fly, use conviction to cast insta big heals while moving seems like such better game mechanics to me, also yes there needs to be some damage abilities, the gammer and whip we saw in A1 were next to perfect, i feel it was a mistake not to put them into the cleric show case even if thats not what they were showing off
  • Well to be fair watching Stephen play is rough because we are unsure if he could move while casting and didn't or hew was actually rooted in place.
    I'm also happy with stack timers and stack limitations for the bigger heals. I love the way some reduce the cooldowns for others and also happy with casted big heals. I'd love similar effects to aion sorcerer and the spread of instant casts and casted heals from cleric in aion.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Level 10 skills underwhelming. :#
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    I'm not sure if level 10 has half of the skills of a class overall. I don't think you get more skills after 25, just augments. I believe more come from the weapon skills to complement.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited January 2023
    I'd love similar effects to aion sorcerer and the spread of instant casts and casted heals from cleric in aion.

I'm with you on your instant casts, @Neurath.

My idea would be a low level perk somewhere in the primary archetype and high level perk in the secondary archetype.
    Level 10 skills underwhelming. :#

not so much the skills that are underwhelming but the way they work, a big issue with the combat before it was changed was being locked into a 3 second action and having to commit for big swings, most of the community hated this and it was changed, same sort of deal for the cleric that we saw, but you are right it is only early level skills we didn't see everything
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What if appointing your skill points changed this. Similar to how they were in A1? Maybe that is what we saw.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    Well, the cleric was very fluid and has changed to very stunted. We haven't seen tank or mage since a1. Hopefully cleric will revert back to fluid before a2. According to the wiki nothing counters stunted usage. Some skills are delayed by default even when instant cast which does have a speed increase at rank 2.

The problem in a1 was heals and damage scaled off the same stat which made cleric op. Instead of fixing the stats they have gimped the class and put everything we hated elsewhere onto the solo healing class. It wouldn't be a massive issue of we had 3 healing classes instead of cleric alone. A slow, heavy healer would be backed by a light healer like in wow. Right now the cleric is a pve healer in a pvx game.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Well, the cleric was very fluid and has changed to very stunted. We haven't seen tank or mage since a1. Hopefully cleric will revert back to fluid before a2. According to the wiki nothing counters stunted usage. Some skills are delayed by default even when instant cast which does have a speed increase at rank 2.

The problem in a1 was heals and damage scaled off the same stat which made cleric op. Instead of fixing the stats they have gimped the class and put everything we hated elsewhere onto the solo healing class. It wouldn't be a massive issue of we had 3 healing classes instead of cleric alone. A slow, heavy healer would be backed by a light healer like in wow. Right now the cleric is a pve healer in a pvx game.

yep i agree, we will have to wait till A2 till we can start doing some real tests but i hope that they decide to go down a different road with the cleric than what we saw in the preview
  • TacquitoTacquito Member
    edited January 2023
    Akaime wrote: »
    yep i agree, we will have to wait till A2 till we can start doing some real tests but i hope that they decide to go down a different road with the cleric than what we saw in the preview

In the past Stephen has said that the secondary archetype will do more than add flavor to your primary archetype. I believe he said it would have a "dramatic" affect on your archetype.

With that context, my hope is that this means there will be more than one healer option. My hope is that the secondary archetype changes the archetype enough to make the various Cleric archetype combinations play very differently from each other.

While I understand that the Cleric didn't seem as flowy in the Cleric update stream, I try not to worry too much about that. We saw very few and very basic abilities in that stream. I don't think we got a true look at how the Cleric will play. My hope is that the secondary archetype will give us a spectrum of healer playstyles, including heavy and light healing.

And as I have said in the past, I also REALLY hope we can spec the Cleric into a primary dps role with some decent (but dramatically weakened) healing ability.

I'm planning to roll a Shadow Disciple if the game releases in my lifetime.
    There is a distinct deviation from the a1 cleric. It's so far removed that the whole game play loop was terrible. The class shown was hollow with minimal healing and minimal damage. It isn't good enough for solo play and not good enough for 1vs1, 3vs3 or perhaps even 8vs8 pvp. The basic tenants are there to be augmented and the basic composition was flawed.

We basically saw gimmicks - active block and the stagger/stun. The old cleric was far superior because killing mobs is the best mitigation and the a1 cleric was far more adept at the feat. The devs aren't balancing around 1vs1 and most games balance healers with 1vs2 dps. The cleric shown would struggle against 1 dps let alone 2 dps.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    A nice little trip down memory lane <3

Be sure to leave your Cleric related feedback on the official thread here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/54662/feedback-request-cleric-weapon-updates-shown-in-november-livestream#latest ^_^
    community_management.gif