Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will Ashes really be a revolution?

Hello, I would like to know how Ashes intends to stand out from the mmorpg lot.

Because being a former player of wow and Lol (with the community of karen), people only play the classes / spec op of the moment.

In fact, apart from a few rare people, including me, I've never seen anyone play a race/class, they didn't opt ​​100%, because I dared to prioritize pleasure before rank.

Will Ashes be a rank game? Like a simple Wow?

or only classes/race/spec that rank high will be taken in raid and/or pvp?

Because it must be admitted, the fault is with the players known on twitch or twitter.

If a player from a big guild tells you that you have to play such a class with such a character, people will do it.

Like rush the faster a raid. :/

Blizzard rewards people who blaze the game.

You're a dev', you've been pissed off building a world, a universe, an atmosphere, so that no one notices, just because the player's interest is to finish quickly?

In my opinion and this is only my opinion, if wow or Lol have become so horrible, it is partly because of the players.

I just hope that the devs at Ashes will be much smarter than the devs at Riot and Blizzard, because we really need renewal.

Comments

• Options
    Louka wrote: »
    I just hope that the devs at Ashes will be much smarter than the devs at Riot and Blizzard, because we really need renewal.
    You said it yourself, it's the players that are ruining the games. So what exactly do you expect Intrepid to do differently? Do you want them to constantly nerf every single random class that some random dude on the internet said was OP? Cause that would be as stupid as whatever bliz/riot did in the past.
  • Options
    Ashes will bring back a lot of "old-school" aspects of MMORPGs and quick hitting dopamine mechanics to reward you for spamming emotes of farming your 10th boar will not be on that list.

If you read into the wiki a bit (highly recommended) you will see one thing come up again and again: Unlocking this games content requires time and/or focused effort. And you cannot do it all on your own, in fact that game is said to be primarily balanced for groups. If they stick to that, this will be indeed a social game, like the name of the genre suggests and it will go beyond just clicking a "LFG" button in a dungeon finder tool, hop into a heroic, farm it through and leave without speaking a word after the clear like you can do in WoW.

With all that being said @NiKr is right when he says it is a different matter to when it comes to the players behavior. Solid mechanics and rules will not lead to a fun game when the players refuse to play by those rules or to use the mechanics implemented.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hopefully ashes will have unique functions and sit in a unique spot. People will get intrigued and try the game out. Then I would hope the players get hooked and the game succeeds. I don't particularly want to comment about the community as I am a part of the community lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    FreemetaFreemeta Member
    edited February 2023
    i fear group of organized players doing bus and speedruning the game. i hope difficulty will be high. at the moment class revealed are standard, nothing new.
    sorry for my bad english, my native langage is french.
  • Options
    Freemeta wrote: »
    i fear group of organized players doing bus and speedruning the game. i hope difficulty will be high.
    No difficulty will be high enough to stop those organized groups from speedrunning the game. And even if there is such a difficulty - it would push away literally 99% of players, because they'd be unable to even play the game with that kind of difficulty.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Since it is different, it will be criticized. The people who want a WoW remake, for instance, will both criticize it for being different from WoW and will also miss a lot of what is in AoC since they will only be looking for WoW-ish features. Many of them will quit in a few months and the game will be better for their leaving.

People who see games as 'getting geared and doing bosses' and pretty much nothing else, they will do a bit better since there will be an ever-changing list of bosses as nodes rise and fall. This will, however, frustrate the many players who rely on the on-line instructions about how to take down bosses (and accomplish other things in-game) since the changing node layout will since the changing node pattern will quickly make such 'how to' videos obsolete. i.e. the 'how to' video on how to kill the boss in the cavern outside of MochaNode was based on a level three node in spring, while the level four MochaNode cavern in winter works quite differently and the You-Tube watching party gets wiped!

But players who want a game as complex as human society itself, and I hope I am one of them, will thrive in AoC for a very long time. Yes, it is a Revolution.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    i fear group of organized players doing bus and speedruning the game. i hope difficulty will be high.
    No difficulty will be high enough to stop those organized groups from speedrunning the game. And even if there is such a difficulty - it would push away literally 99% of players, because they'd be unable to even play the game with that kind of difficulty.

To build on that, the playerbase of AoC trends older, and my experience with older players is that they prefer chill gameplay over high difficulty. It's usually the younger players that appreciate skill-based challenges.
  • Options
    It won't be a revolution.

It will be THE revolution.
    ob4olqinudwv.png

discord.gg/pFCdaWM - Building a community across multiple games,
    including Ashes of Creation! Looking for members of all kinds to really pour
    our all into the Alpha 2, Betas, and then launch.
  • Options
  • Options

It will be played!

Thanks for no Rick roll lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes will not be a revolution by the time it releases.
  • Options
    "Will any mmorpg be revolutionary"
    b9eu7tgdpk0h.png
  • Options
    I think AoC will be decent at the minimum, but I think it's far too early to say whether it'll be good let alone revolutionary. There is definitely potential though.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    We certainly aim to make a game that stands out from the crowd and is different. Some things that lessen the experiences for players are in the hands of the players themselves, while some things can be controlled more easily by the game's developers.

Let's look at your example of min-maxing characters. With all the different customization possibilities for your character, such as augments, weapons, archetypes, classes, etc. There will be many different flavors if gameplay to create. With systems ranging from Node sieges to raids, there will be many different activities to apply those customizations of your character to. This, coupled with no DPS meters and no add-ons, should provide players with the means to create what they want, and not necessarily be wrong for doing so :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    [...] This, coupled with no DPS meters and no add-ons, [...]

This probably refers to what has been documented in the all-knowing Wiki under "Addon".

Let's also not forget that the game is not done-done once it launches. If certain elements of the game after launch turn out in the long term to be not feasible I suspect that we will see updates being made to improve the overall experience for players.

I personally would love to have a server without streamers allowed to be honest - I just don't want to play with a bunch of vlogging fans doing BS for clout on some other platform.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The longer Ashes takes to release, the harder time it will have to compete with more advanced AAA titles that are forecast to roll out
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    The longer Ashes takes to release, the harder time it will have to compete with more advanced AAA titles that are forecast to roll out

Are there any you deem worth expecting to make it difficult for Ashes? I mean sure, we have to think about when the game actually releases which probably won't be before 2025/26 but the projects I am aware of don't sound like they will critically reduce possible player numbers for Ashes. T&L sounds cool and all but I have the suspicion that P2W will once again "sneak" into the game right after release.

Apart from that I am not aware of any big names coming up - though I honestly haven't really looked into it beyond T&L and Ashes that much either.
  • Options

they are capped somewhat speedrunning with node progression to a degree i would think
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A revolution? No, of course not. They aren't fundamentally changing the genre. An evolution though, certainly, with cool features like nodes.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Veeshan wrote: »
    they are capped somewhat speedrunning with node progression to a degree i would think
    But that applies to everyone, so that's beside the point. Some form of gameplay difficulty won't affect everyone, because some people will still breeze through it, while others won't even be able to touch it. That's what I meant. And the harder you make your game - the more people won't be able to play it.
  • Options
    A hybrid Wild Star and WoW difficulty would be lush in my eyes. I feel the solo, group and raid levels were perfect difficulties and challenges were in each sphere.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We certainly aim to make a game that stands out from the crowd and is different. Some things that lessen the experiences for players are in the hands of the players themselves, while some things can be controlled more easily by the game's developers.

Let's look at your example of min-maxing characters. With all the different customization possibilities for your character, such as augments, weapons, archetypes, classes, etc. There will be many different flavors if gameplay to create. With systems ranging from Node sieges to raids, there will be many different activities to apply those customizations of your character to. This, coupled with no DPS meters and no add-ons, should provide players with the means to create what they want, and not necessarily be wrong for doing so :)

There will be an especially regular meta if yall go ahead and pull the trigger on tying skills to weapons.
  • Options
    This, coupled with no DPS meters and no add-ons, should provide players with the means to create what they want, and not necessarily be wrong for doing so :)

Uhh... You don't need a dps meter when you know what gear someone has, build they are or watch their gameplay to see how trash or good they are. It'll just make it a little tougher at first but once you see someone being trash in your party or whatever, you boot them or don't invite them anymore. :p You can just time fights and ween out people you know aren't contributing enough dps that way.
  • Options

i guess it's a matter of balance. i'm "old" but i love chill and challenge content. i just hope there is a very hard content to satisfy harcore players. if a game is too easy players lose interest. i just want a satisfacting leveling experience (encountering an elite or boss and trample it is boring).
    sorry for my bad english, my native langage is french.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    i guess it's a matter of balance. i'm "old" but i love chill and challenge content. i just hope there is a very hard content to satisfy harcore players. if a game is too easy players lose interest. i just want a satisfacting leveling experience (encountering an elite or boss and trample it is boring).
    From what I've heard from casuals, it's not about ease or difficulty of content. It's about how fun doing that content is. Yes, some people will derive fun from purely the difficulty of the content, but majority couldn't care less about that. As was shown by WoW's popularity or by FF14's, or by Genshin's. The game just has to be fun.
  • Options
    I don't think it will be. What I do hope for though is a developer that provides a decent product without p2w or nickle and diming every little thing. I do think the first 6 months or so, many people will be playing and excited for a new game. Then as time goes on they will feel lack of new content, progression, or the been there done that mindset as they notice so many similarities between other games. The reality is the standards are very high now to retain players in comparison to lets say 2005. Intrepid just needs to show consistency and provide content at a reasonable price that isn't to grindy while not being just freely given either. Also the fact that many mmorpg players these days are adults in their 30-50s and do not have the countless hours they had as children or teenagers to just grind out things and wander around aimlessly. I am excited to see how they manage such a game in this genre! I have faith in them but I think they will still face the exact same struggles as other studios in regards to providing for the playerbase expectations.