Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Deleted]

LeonerdoLeonerdo Member
edited April 9 in General Discussion
[Deleted]

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'm not a twitter person so my mind didn't immediately go to the worst interpretation possible. So no, I just saw it as "go tell anyone who has the skills and is out of a job to sign up for an interview".
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You are most definitely over thinking this.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Poaching is when one company offers an employee of another company higher pay to leave that company and join theirs. It's not really good or bad it just is. It happens kind of frequently. It sucks for the company it's happening to. It doesn't suck for the employee or the poaching company.

I believe there's been some instances of what you could call "bad" poaching though where a company is doing it to another for the sole purpose of putting them out of business, taking all their talent. That's kind of fucked up.

What Steven said wasn't poaching though, that was just spreading the word about open positions. He's been doing that for years now. There's a lot of turnover in the tech industry, and in particular right now a lot of layoffs, so getting the word out there is good for the company that needs employees and for the potential people looking for a job.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2023
    I am pretty sure Intrepid has had developers poached from them. They used to have a list of employees, for example, that they took down again. I think for that reason.

I don't think any company in the game-making business is above poaching from other companies, Intrepid included. Good developers (fit for the particular company) aren't a dime a dozen, so I expect things to get a little cut-throat. People can argue the ethics of it of course, but it's legal and probably very prevalent.
  • Options
    Okay, true, poaching is pretty normal in the industry.

I guess I'm more worried about how he asked it. Asking fans to be "de-facto recruiters" for him and suggesting that people "evangelize" Ashes.

AoC doesn't need anymore implications of being a cult...
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sometimes in life we see what we want to see.

Nothing nefarious here.
  • Options
    Fair. I'll drop it.
  • Options
    Just make a fun game! If you poach someone from another company, were they really theirs to begin with? When people leave.... it is due to unhappiness, lack of pay, lack of progression, etc. If a person leaves their current company to go to intrepid... they weren't happy there anyways.
  • Options
    Leonerdo5 wrote: »
    In the latest stream Steven asked viewers to spread word of Intrepid's open VFX positions. The most generous interpretation of this, is that he's just asking people to share with friends/family/colleagues who are looking for a job in that field. A more negative interpretation is that he just asked the entire Ashes playerbase to go harass random VFX artists on social media to join Intrepid regardless of their current employment or interest.

He didn't say much, so I'm not sure how other people interpreted it. What do y'all think? Would you call that statement an attempt at poaching? Is poaching even bad? Am I overthinking it?

Its really disappointing to see how some people think, then try make out like everyone thinks like that.
    The Immortals
    • We Lived a Thousand Lives, United we Stand.
    • Recruitment
  • Options
    Okay, true, poaching is pretty normal in the industry.

I guess I'm more worried about how he asked it. Asking fans to be "de-facto recruiters" for him and suggesting that people "evangelize" Ashes.

AoC doesn't need anymore implications of being a cult...

I think people who try to spin everything in such a way are the actual problem. Steven said in the context of the lay offs in the industry that players can spread the word of Intrepid still recruiting.
    If this kind of paranoid doomer mentality is the standard to go by now, then we can just sack all future projects of any kinds because "we wouldn't want some rando to twist the intention to the most malicious thing possible".
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    LeonerdoLeonerdo Member
    edited April 2023
    Nemeses wrote: »
    In the latest stream Steven asked viewers to spread word of Intrepid's open VFX positions. The most generous interpretation of this, is that he's just asking people to share with friends/family/colleagues who are looking for a job in that field. A more negative interpretation is that he just asked the entire Ashes playerbase to go harass random VFX artists on social media to join Intrepid regardless of their current employment or interest.

He didn't say much, so I'm not sure how other people interpreted it. What do y'all think? Would you call that statement an attempt at poaching? Is poaching even bad? Am I overthinking it?

Its really disappointing to see how some people think, then try make out like everyone thinks like that.

I literally said "I'm not sure how other people interpreted it. What do y'all think?" How the fuck do you want me to raise concerns to be more palatable to you?

I asked a question. Y'all answered, I said okay cool, guess I'm overreacting. What is the problem with that? God forbid anyone ever cast the tineist doubt about Steven's Golden leadership.
  • Options
    Individuated SoulIndividuated Soul Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Internet police strikes again. What a terrible take by OP.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You're good man, people are just used to trolls that come here and ask leading questions designed to make AoC look bad. You presented two interpretations though, one positive, one negative. It's just that your negative interpretation is a little far fetched based on what Steven said. But the followup questions you asked seem genuine to me. You just don't have a good understanding of poaching and how the business world works. I'm no expert either. But I know enough in this case.

There's a guy named Cliff Breczinski. He was the guy behind the video games Lawbreakers and Radical Heights. Radical Heights was a battle royale game during the height of BR craze, 2017-2018ish. It shut down I think a few months after it launched. It was competing directly against Fortnite and Pubg.

Cliff Breczinski accused Epic games, the creators of Fortnite, of poaching his company's devs.
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/radical-heights/cliffyb-epic-poaching-boss-key-employees

Whether that's true or not, who knows. The employees in question apparently deny they were poached. But if it is true, then that'd be an instance of unethical, but not illegal poaching. It's a large company (Epic), with vast financial resources, poaching the devs of a smaller company, in order to suppress the competition that the smaller company's game can bring. It's generally only illegal when it's done for the purpose of obtaining another company's sensitive info or trade secrets from the poached employees. But it can be unethical without being illegal.

What's weird is if you google search "cliff breczinski poaching fortnite," nothing comes up, literally nothing. If you search it on duckduckgo, all kinds of news articles from the time come up. Google is known to censor, but I don't know why they'd censor this. Google and Epic have their own legal battles and animosity, some of which is still ongoing I believe.
  • Options
    What a strange thread. I'm guessing OP must be very young or have 0 experience with the actual world. Poaching? What? hahaha. Yes! Good! Poach baby! Poach all the talent, please!