Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ranger fantasy

What exactly is the ranger fantasy in Ashes of Creation?
For now mage has:
- some mobility with blink
- some defensives with strong shell shield
- big single target burst with stacks
- big aoe damage
- a lot of ccs: aoe tab target sleep, single target frozen root, aoe meteor knock up and aoe earth spikes knock up

What is the role of the ranger in the fight then? I know that ranger is physical, but if you go mage augments so you deal magic damage then what.. are you just worse mage?

Comments

• Options
    what if the mage goes ranger augments, is he a worse ranger?

ranger seems to be a "physical mage"
  • Options
    that sounds like not a very smart idea, cuz then why would you ever go magic damage ranger, there should be different roles for mage and ranger
  • Options
    Snekkers wrote: »
    that sounds like not a very smart idea, cuz then why would you ever go magic damage ranger, there should be different roles for mage and ranger

then why would you go ranger mage?

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. A mage with a bow will be a beast.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

exactly
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    Ranger Down !!! (EQ - anybody?)
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »

im not that old
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

exactly

you didn't get it /facepalm

we don't even know what augments can you get yet. its possible that mage-ranger or ranger-mage is the most op choice.

your 2ndary archetype doesn't change your role
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    In the ranger preview, the skirmisher setup (shortbow) had more mobility while fighting than mage. There is probably more overlap between longbow ranger and mage when just taking damage into consideration. However, the Ranger preview just showed 3 skills. We really don't know much.

On the mage we see the big damage from the shatter combo, but that looks to have a ~10s per-target cooldown. Mage looks to have a large AE kit, and outside of shatter, low single target damage (but damage is not yet balanced so this is not relevant)

Thematically, there will be some other skills (melee attacks, traps, poisons, ?pet "stuff"?, etc) available to the base ranger class. But I would expect higher single target damage than mage, and less AE cooldowns.
  • Options
    ZyllosZyllos Member
    Not only this, each base archetype has talents/mutations that will modify various abilities AND each base archetype would most likely have unique spells/skills to their archetype combination.

The Archiwizard "fire spells" would look, feel, act different than the Battle Mage "fire spells". And their ways to modify the spells would be different.

The same would be said for the Spellhunter (mage/ranger). Heck, I imagine the Spellhunter would be a class that is more focused on ranged physical damage that can deliver spells via the arrow/ranged weapon that focuses on taking out any magic user. The Scion (ranger/mage) would literally be the arcane archer, changing their arrow/ranged attacks to be magical in damage and having a small subset of utility spells from the mage base archetype.
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member

What do you call a warrior with no arms and no legs? I don’t know, but it’s better than a ranger.

Remembering rangers it’s a good thing there’s a tank class.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited May 2023
    Because of the nature of how customizable archetypes will be in Ashes of Creation, along with each archetype's kit, there will be plenty of reasons to play either Mage or Ranger. And you will have tools to make them either as similar, or as different as you can!

I'm interested to hear more about the different desires for class fantasy between Ranger and Mage. Even though they both have ranged abilities in their kits, their fantasies can be quite different, in my mind!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Because of the nature of how customizable archetypes will be in Ashes of Creation, along with each archetype's kit, there will be plenty of reasons to play either Mage or Ranger. And you will have tools to make them either as similar, or as different as you can!

I'm interested to hear more about the different desires for class fantasy between Ranger and Mage. Even though they both have ranged abilities in their kits, their fantasies can be quite different, in my mind!

actually, i think over this post and talking on discord with ppl, ranger should be a bit more mobile version of mage where it sacrifies hard cc at the cost of some soft cc's. Also ranger's ability should have some nice synergies with crit so ranger is just more crit based range archetype, if you want to make it deal magic damage then you go for ranger/mage and you still can go crit based build for bonus effects.

So to sum up:

Mage:
    - small mobility
    - small/medium amount of hard ccs
    - big AoE damage
    - mid single target damage
    (obviously augments varies those strenghts and weaknesses so you can go single target burst mage)

Ranger:
    - mid mobility
    - small/mid amount of soft cc
    - small/mid AoE damage
    - big single target damage
    - synergies with crit builds
    (obviously augments varies those strenghts and weaknesses so you can go AoE or DoT ranger)
  • Options
    SnekkersSnekkers Member
    edited May 2023
    and by that i mean ranger can have hard cc like a root or two, but less than mage, same as mage can have slows like chill stacks but les than ranger
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member

im not that old

if a mob looked at you funny you died thats basicly rangers in EQ, not to mention you were very melee heavy until late game when you got AA thats made your range attacks useful :P Mob would be like turn slightly to the right riposte a ranger melee attacking him and die :P lol
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    I think ranger beat mage, mage beats melee and melee beats range i feel thats how it gonna go, archery probaly out range mage with longbows, mages spells seemed rather shortish in range seems like there designed to control fights which is strong agaist melee i feel but i think they suffer agaist rangers to a degree.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    I think ranger beat mage, mage beats melee and melee beats range i feel thats how it gonna go, archery probaly out range mage with longbows, mages spells seemed rather shortish in range seems like there designed to control fights which is strong agaist melee i feel but i think they suffer agaist rangers to a degree.

will see, i would like that approach for sure
  • Options
    AliceAlice Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    My "Ranger fantasy" is something like that for Ranger/Rogue with Shortbow.

Windwalker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObSnnebd2no
    Dragon Nest has long-ranged archer classes too which uses Longbow: Sniper(Ranger/Ranger), and Artillery(Ranger/Mage) which uses Magic attack(INT) stats, very cool to have the option to counter physical defense stacking meta when it happens; not to mention, the skills feel satisfactory to use.

The worst Archer I've played was in Archeage! An MMO that Ashes of Creation was inspired by. It was reliant on spamming 1 skill and even building your gear around it. Please do not take inspiration from that, dear devs ;(
  • Options
    Alice wrote: »
    My "Ranger fantasy" is something like that for Ranger/Rogue with Shortbow.

Windwalker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObSnnebd2no
    Dragon Nest has long-ranged archer classes too which uses Longbow: Sniper(Ranger/Ranger), and Artillery(Ranger/Mage) which uses Magic attack(INT) stats, very cool to have the option to counter physical defense stacking meta when it happens; not to mention, the skills feel satisfactory to use.

The worst Archer I've played was in Archeage! An MMO that Ashes of Creation was inspired by. It was reliant on spamming 1 skill and even building your gear around it. Please do not take inspiration from that, dear devs ;(

for me that looks more like a rogue/ranger. I would imagine that in ashes short bow will deal low damage, have low range and huge attack speed on its own so it will be perferct for DoT based builds. Long bow from the other hand will be your typical huge damage, long range low attack speed bow for single target burst damage.