Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Graphics starting to look a bit outdated?

SeloSelo Member
edited June 2023 in General Discussion
Unpopular topic but..do you think the graphics and style needs a bit of an update?
Compared to many Asian mmorpgs in development the game lacks in detailed monsters.
The armors are not defined enough,
And the enviroment still looks very flat and not detailed enough.
Theres also no "ambient" stuff like flies, birds, snow/dust flying around when you move though it etc.
Games like New World and that Chrono Odyssey are much more detailed.
New World has some beautiful envorimental graphcis.
Affiliate Code:
0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    You're comparing either a super precise vertical slice that is literally meant to bait people into thinking that the game is amazing, or a finished game, with an alpha stage build. To me that's kinda silly.

I can definitely agree that Ashes might not have a super unique visual design or style, but I don't really care about that either way cause it will all get completely lost behind the day-to-day gameplay.
  • Options
    The Ashes of Creation Alpha environments are better than those released games in my opinion.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It looks good for an alpha. The classes are barely in phase 2, the graphics are definitely still in phase 1.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The Chrono Odyssey trailer is so funny. People really never learn, do they? I think the 3 minutes of rendered footage and the handful of concept images look great. That's literally all we know about the project. :D

As for Graphics. Do people have eyes? I think there are some serious cases of poor memory and rose-tinted glasses going on. I agree when it comes to animations and optimizations, but why would a game in Alpha be comparable to games that have been out for a decade +. It's ludicrous.
  • Options
    Selo wrote: »
    Unpopular topic but..do you think the graphics and style needs a bit of an update?
    Compared to many Asian mmorpgs in development the game lacks in detailed monsters.
    The armors are not defined enough,
    And the enviroment still looks very flat and not detailed enough.
    Theres also no "ambient" stuff like flies, birds, snow/dust flying around when you move though it etc.
    Games like New World and that Chrono Odyssey are much more detailed.
    New World has some beautiful envorimental graphcis.

Can you hook me up with the Chrono Odyssey alpha im trying to play it.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not to mention the fact that every stream Steven says 47 times "we're not in a phase of development where polish is a priority" but let's just ignore that and complain about it
  • Options
    Not to mention the fact that every stream Steven says 47 times "we're not in a phase of development where polish is a priority" but let's just ignore that and complain about it

Okay, thanks for the permission :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »

Okay, thanks for the permission :)

You're welcome 🤗
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    compared to other asian mmo *trailers, important part there

we want a well optimized MMO, intrepid makes sure their assets and visuals have good performance
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    As some have pointed out here, the game is very much so still a work in progress, and has not had any polishing done to the final appearance, especially with some aspects you mention, OP!

With that said, we still appreciate the feedback, and the team is working very hard to make the best game we possibly can ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dont think its out dated but i do think it needs its own style the world looks beautiful but it also looks boring
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem is the textures look quite low resolution on characters. Like blurry, even on 4K. But the game is in alpha so no need to complain just yet, but I do wonder why the textures look like they're on low.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Quite honestly, I'm going to refrain from any comments on the graphics until I see it first hand.

YouTube's compression may well be responsible for a good chunk of the comments here.

It also may not, which is why I'm not planning on commenting.
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm going to pre-face my comment here with: "I'm sure Intrepid are already aware/working on this, so I'm not too concerned about the graphics atm".

For those who are feeling that something is off with the graphics, it's probably due to a clash of high and low res assets.
    The rock pillars, rocks, areas of snow are detailed and high res.
    Then there's blurry blending of snow to dirt which just looks like a smudge.
    There are hard lines where rocks bisect the terrain that are made very noticeable by the more natural lumpiness of the snow covered terrain.
    The small bushes don't look high quality, and it seems as you move away, they get switched out for something even lower res. This could just be stream compression though.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vampire Survivors just won Best Game at the 2023 BAFTAs.

ywssh3g5fhjg.jpg
  • Options
    GrilledCheeseMojitoGrilledCheeseMojito Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Even if it doesn't have the most polished graphics, I'm really happy with what the art team has done in terms of art direction. So many games fall off the cliff of maximum quality graphics while looking like brown/grey sludge, and Ashes worlds feel a lot livelier in every biome.
    I think art direction will win the day here.
    Grilled cheese always tastes better when you eat it together!
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    I don't want ashes to turn into an overly affected and stylized game. Sometimes just seeing regular ass leather armor makes sense, and it elevates things that look more special.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2023
    Do yourself a favor and compare these. Both videos are supposed to be the same game. One is the trailer which shows truly next gen graphics for an mmo and the other shows what the game actually looks like. You can't trust cinematic YouTube videos full of 2 second long clips.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSTahTUVYao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA8D1rzrXkg&t=543s
  • Options
    The faces/heads in the two videos are almost the same. I don't have time to extrapolate the rest of the features but you've shown why I don't play games based on trailers.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited June 2023
    darthaden wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and compare these. Both videos are supposed to be the same game. One is the trailer which shows truly next gen graphics for an mmo and the other shows what the game actually looks like. You can't trust cinematic YouTube videos full of 2 second long clips.
    Do yourself a favor and don't bullshit people with these kinds of links. You posted a 1080 compressed video that was taken from a 1080 supercompressed stream that was reacting to a low settings gameplay in a compressed 1080 video.

Here's how TL truly looks (ultra settings with balanced dlss) and it's fucking incredible and I definitely hope that Ashes can at least match it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H3zwi4gwrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iISN9I391jE
  • Options
    darthaden wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSTahTUVYao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA8D1rzrXkg&t=543s

Why are you getting manipulated by youtubers, they don't care about you...welll they care about using you as a tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvA-wYHVbis
  • Options
    On my 4k oled ashes looks better at 4k. I can see the difference between the engines. The toon mouths are definitely weird in t&l at 4k. Wouldn't waste the dollars on playing it at 4k.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    On my 4k oled ashes looks better at 4k. I can see the difference between the engines. The toon mouths are definitely weird in t&l at 4k. Wouldn't waste the dollars on playing it at 4k.
    Yeah, UE5 definitely supposed to look better, but to me rn TL looks better as a whole, while Ashes just has a few good separate visuals. But all of that is obviously fixable in time, so I'm not too worried about that yet. The optimization will also be super important, cause TL was incredible for what it is.
  • Options
    Yeah, I can see why the east loves t&l. Its just not my cup of tea. I used to rave about the game prior to release but the let's plays have turned my enthusiasm off. Also, I don't want to get new hardware yet.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I couldn't care less about graphics. People are still playing wow and Eq. Graphics don't make nor break a game
  • Options
    The holy grail is graphics and gameplay. The issue is hyper realistic graphics age a lot faster so good gameplay is a must first and foremost.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    I am looking at an Alpha project done with the latest graphic engine where the CEO is on record saying that the core success of a game is not determined by its graphics being the most recent one at all times but by functioning, engaging core mechanics.

No, the graphics don't look outdated to me.
    No, I couldn't care less for the graphics of asian P2W auto farmer 917'509'274'565
    New World is a steaming pile of copy pasted poop and only "looking better" because the have 5 assets that they could polish and the game is actually released while Ashes is in Alpha.

The take is unpopular because it jerks off on graphics of an unfinished game and tries to put something at the top of the priority list that doesn't belong their. I'd take Zelda Ocarina of Time N64 graphics if the game for a change is not some P2W trash forgotten 5 minutes after the "LaTeSt GrApHiCs" trailers have rolled off the screen and instead has people design the systems who can rub two braincells together.

The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    They commented on graphical fidelity last July when doing their in-house tech software update.

tl;dr, they need to make the graphics looks good but also allow the game to be run on lower end machines to alleviate the barrier to entry. Also Ashes is trying to have 1000 player fights which wouldn't be possible if you had top of the line cutting edge graphics.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    I have to admit that I did have the "out-dated" thought pop into my head but I do realize that with UE5 under the hood there is plenty of room for improvement, especially given the caliber of the artistic talent at work.
  • Options
    They are not in the final stages of development. Their focus right now is just world creation, character/class creation, ETC. Graphics don't mean anything when there is not an actual game to play. Graphics do not to equate to fun either...