Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

UE5 Fluid Flux 2.0

edited June 2023 in General Discussion
Speaking of today's post with fishes being added to the ocean in Verra. Imagine having this realistic water while fishing! :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLmiqJJI5ZQ
m6jque7ofxxf.gif

Comments

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd prefer imagining the game launching before 2030 with no more scope creep being added
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Would be amazing!
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited June 2023
    Naval battles with those kinds of water physics would be highly immersive and interesting
  • Options
    Ace1234 wrote: »
    Naval battles with those kinds of water physics would be highly immersive and interesting

I want to know what stormy weather would look like!
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Liniker wrote: »
    I'd prefer imagining the game launching before 2030 with no more scope creep being added

It's not scope creep if Intrepid has intended to keep their engine up to date all along. That's what they've been doing anyway, so I fully expect that to continue as long as they see a benefit.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The waves should have sunk the boat.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    lp
    Nerror wrote: »

It's not scope creep if Intrepid has intended to keep their engine up to date all along. That's what they've been doing anyway, so I fully expect that to continue as long as they see a benefit.

This isn't really keeping engine up to date, it is just a water solution. Doesn't mean it will work for what they are trying to do though. There is a point where it would be scope creep technically, though not in this case since they need water.

If it saves them time and works for what they want great, though they most likely are working on their own water solution but you never know.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2023
    Also it is very easy to look at the marketplace and pick up a bunch of stuff people make. Some of it isn't as complex as you might think though. People ca take other free stuff and build upon it, etc.

Water looks cool and id mess around with it, but not at a 500$ price point.

Water is pretty fun to work with when you have a good shader and you can tweak to get what you want. I created some water back in college for one of my projects so this is like 9 years ago and i lvoed it at that time, though being UDK is is pretty out of date now.

ico8t5f6fvxt.png
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Very neat video and tech! :open_mouth:
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I`d imagine another 5-10 years and this level of detail will become commonplace.

Whilst love to see something like this for oceans and rivers, the level of detail would need to be congruous with all other elements to feel balanced.

For UE5, it does not take much to bloat the file size..
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I just rewatched this, and I am actually getting some uncanny valley feeling from the ocean and waves crashing on the beach. I haven't really experienced that before with the environment. When it looks more unreal (hehe), it's easy to disregard the fact that it's water in a video game and therefore doesn't resemble reality.

Huge improvement on the flow of the water in the waterfall and rapids though, compared to what I have seen before. I really hope they implement that. Especially if they pick up my idea of a river disappearing into a big hole to the underrealm, to become a river down there. B)
  • Options
    edited June 2023

This has nothing to do with engine update, this tech was made by independent devs and will be sold in the unreal market place, intrepid already have their own water solution so buying something like this and implementing it is 100% scope creep
    img]
  • Options
    edited June 2023

This has nothing to do with engine update, this tech was made by independent devs and will be sold in the unreal market place, intrepid already have their own water solution so buying something like this and implementing it is 100% scope creep

I see, so not made by Epic, but still added to UE5.

It doesn't change much really. This discussion is a semantic argument for sure, but it really comes down to what their stated intent is, even if it's only stated internally. If it's planned to keep updating the engine and adding features that makes things prettier or improves or simplifies development until release, it's by definition not scope creep even if it adds development time compared to not implementing it. Implementing naval content will also add to development time compared to not implementing it. Same thing.
  • Options

adding realistic assets isn't scope creep =x

anyways I'm impressed by that water. getting water right in games is really hard
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2023

I see, so not made by Epic, but still added to UE5.

It doesn't change much really. This discussion is a semantic argument for sure, but it really comes down to what their stated intent is, even if it's only stated internally. If it's planned to keep updating the engine and adding features that makes things prettier or improves or simplifies development until release, it's by definition not scope creep even if it adds development time compared to not implementing it. Implementing naval content will also add to development time compared to not implementing it. Same thing.

IF you are adding a bunch of random things on the EGS because it looks pretty it is scope creep. You have aa dev team you hired with a set goal for the game and should work towards that with your plan in mind. If it is inline with your vision using some store stuff is fine, but they hired dev's for a reason not to buy the work off the store that might not be the best solution for their game. But that is for them to decide.

Also buying store assets is not updating the engine.....and again adding features not originally intended for the game is scope creep and literarily what star citizen does.

Also i wouldn't expect them to be updating the engine every update, you don't put experimental features in your game on the first pass of them. The engine literally warns you against it. You let them work out all the bugs and than more than likely they will update down the road, or not update if the features are not helping the project vrs time it takes to do it.

All new features are experimental you can feel most will be worked on and eventually not be in testing phase but sometimes there is a chance they don't go further with it and it isn't updated anymore. So if it causes issues it will be on your own to fix them.
  • Options
    people are confused with what scope creep is =x
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2023
    Depraved wrote: »

You think they just add the water and its good? That isn't how development works lol.

What are they trying to accomplish with the sea content and features is it going to have. Now all those features need to work with whatever store asset they are throwing in. So if they have custom water that preforms a certain way they need to look into how all elements of the other water is built and how they can get it to work how they want.

So if they have their own water solution in progress they will have to spend time figure out some other water to get that look and the additional features it brings. This extends with anything, but it hard to judge without knowing their pipeline.

For example lets say you saw realistic trees that looked like the best trees you have ever seen. And some market place link, are those trees set up to use their pipeline with the features you want. Lets say most likely not, that means they need to further adjust however those trees are set up and get it to work.

If you are talking about a more complex game with systems that use assets in certain way the is most likely more work they need to do to get it working.
  • Options
    Having great looking art is one thing, if they are just trying to make something pretty with less functionality ya that is easier. If they have the water set up with ways they will have it interacting with boats, etc a lot more work is going to have to go into it + optimization.
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited June 2023
    It's a really nice demo, but I'm guessing that in terms of performance, it wouldn't really be suitable for an online server. That is something that would actually be really interesting to hear from Devs about. What is actually possible in terms of pushing graphical fidelity whilst maintaining performance?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Implementing naval content will also add to development time compared to not implementing it. Same thing.

what you are saying doesn't make any sense, naval content is a core feature of the game... of course it needs to be done and will add development time

this Flux tech is a THIRD PARTY solution that has absolutely nothing to do with Unreal engine, Epic, and adds absolutely nothing besides it looks good, this its just water physics tech made by some random developer that intrepid would need to Pay for, to replace their own tech that they already spent a lot of money and time doing, that's the definition of scope creep

hvdvi207anhb.png

img]
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    You think they just add the water and its good?

That's exactly what they think.

img]
  • Options

You think they just add the water and its good? That isn't how development works lol.

What are they trying to accomplish with the sea content and features is it going to have. Now all those features need to work with whatever store asset they are throwing in. So if they have custom water that preforms a certain way they need to look into how all elements of the other water is built and how they can get it to work how they want.

So if they have their own water solution in progress they will have to spend time figure out some other water to get that look and the additional features it brings. This extends with anything, but it hard to judge without knowing their pipeline.

For example lets say you saw realistic trees that looked like the best trees you have ever seen. And some market place link, are those trees set up to use their pipeline with the features you want. Lets say most likely not, that means they need to further adjust however those trees are set up and get it to work.

If you are talking about a more complex game with systems that use assets in certain way the is most likely more work they need to do to get it working.

still not scope creep =x

I will enlighten you all in about 2-3 hours.
  • Options
    Increasing the fidelity of water to this level is most definitely scope creep. Looking into the plug-in more, it is only functional for around 3 Sqkm of game area. AoC plans to have like 750 Sqkm. It would just not be performative in its current state and would need to entirely replace the system they have already been working on for a long time.
  • Options

still not scope creep =x

I will enlighten you all in about 2-3 hours.

Feel free to let me know and explain in detail why ever increasing detail won't be scope creep.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Implementing naval content will also add to development time compared to not implementing it. Same thing.

what you are saying doesn't make any sense, naval content is a core feature of the game... of course it needs to be done and will add development time

Right, it's a core part of the game because Intrepid has stated that it is in the past. If they hadn't stated that it is part of the game, adding naval content would probably be scope creep. My entire point is, what is or isn't scope creep depends entirely on what Intrepid has set out to do, and if it's done in a controlled way. Steven and others have said multiple times in the past that they are continuously looking at new tech and implementing it if it makes sense for the project. Thus, new tech is within the scope of the project.

To quote chatgpt, who stole it from somewhere else I am sure:
    Scope creep in a game refers to the gradual and uncontrolled expansion of a game's features, content, or development goals beyond the original scope or planned specifications. It occurs when new ideas, features, or requirements are continuously added to the game without proper evaluation of their impact on the project's timeline, resources, and overall design.

Note the "uncontrolled" and "without proper evaluation" parts. No tech upgrade that Intrepid has done so far has been any of that IMO. None of them have really changed the scope of the game. The upgrade to UE5 was a big change that possibly delayed the release, but it wasn't an uncontrolled change or done without proper evaluation. It was also the right call, or the game would have suffered by being limited to UE4 tech.

To contrast, if Intrepid decides tomorrow to add space combat and exploration to the game as a major feature, that would be scope creep, as well as feature creep obviously. And a little weird.

I am not saying they need to implement this new water tech. That's up to them really, but if it solves an issue they have, it's perfectly within the scope of the project to do so.
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited June 2023
    It's scope creep.

Because Intrepid has stated that they plan to have naval and water-based content, does not mean that doing everything and anything under that umbrella is within the scope of the project. If you state that your project is going to contain water. That means you have water in the project. It does not mean that you keep the water represented in your game at the literal bleeding edge of graphical fidelity at all times. It's why games have remasters, developers can go back to a project and improve upon it when the tech has improved and they have released the initial project. They can go back and do things that were above and beyond the initial scope of the game. Graphical fidelity is always a WIP and you can iterate on it forever, however, significant graphical changes are increasing the scope of the project. That doesn't mean that I think that all scope creep is bad, there are plenty of times (especially if the resources are there) when incorporating more stuff as development goes on is a positive, but there needs to be a cut-off.
  • Options

Right, it's a core part of the game because Intrepid has stated that it is in the past. If they hadn't stated that it is part of the game, adding naval content would probably be scope creep. My entire point is, what is or isn't scope creep depends entirely on what Intrepid has set out to do, and if it's done in a controlled way. Steven and others have said multiple times in the past that they are continuously looking at new tech and implementing it if it makes sense for the project. Thus, new tech is within the scope of the project.

To quote chatgpt, who stole it from somewhere else I am sure:
    Scope creep in a game refers to the gradual and uncontrolled expansion of a game's features, content, or development goals beyond the original scope or planned specifications. It occurs when new ideas, features, or requirements are continuously added to the game without proper evaluation of their impact on the project's timeline, resources, and overall design.

Note the "uncontrolled" and "without proper evaluation" parts. No tech upgrade that Intrepid has done so far has been any of that IMO. None of them have really changed the scope of the game. The upgrade to UE5 was a big change that possibly delayed the release, but it wasn't an uncontrolled change or done without proper evaluation. It was also the right call, or the game would have suffered by being limited to UE4 tech.

To contrast, if Intrepid decides tomorrow to add space combat and exploration to the game as a major feature, that would be scope creep, as well as feature creep obviously. And a little weird.

I am not saying they need to implement this new water tech. That's up to them really, but if it solves an issue they have, it's perfectly within the scope of the project to do so.

If it solves a issue they have anything is good at that point if it makes sense. But again you don't just pick it up and issue is solved. What are they trying to accomplish and can the blueprint / shader do that (something looking pretty has nothing to do on the technical aspect what they are trying to accomplish with their content and optimization.

Just cause something looks pretty doesn't mean it counts as updating the engine. If they really like it and their artist are unsure how it was made. They could buy it, take it apart and use the good aspects that work to further update their own water. Though there is a chance you could just be wasting a lot of money and time doing this if it doesn't work with what you are trying to do.

• Options
    @Nerror So yes increasing the look infinitely can be scoop creep. Does it mean it will be for the water most likely not. It is most likely the best water on the market in terms how how it interacts as far as I've seen.

If it interest them I'm sure they can reach out to the technical artist that made it and see if it can work for their project.
  • Options
    Jeez, can you guys just DM one another and go back n forth there?
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    Jeez, can you guys just DM one another and go back n forth there?

Pretty sure this is a forum where anyone can talk not just in dms.