Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Show me what fun pvp looks like

FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I consider myself pretty open minded and willing to see another persons point of view. I am also open to new challenges. So, while I am not a classic PvP player, I am willing to give things a shot.

That said, what game should I try out in order to get a good feel of what Ashes PvP will feel like? What recommendations do you have, current or past, live or private server, that does not cost too much to try out, that you believe gives me the best snapshot.

I did just sign up for AA Classic but do not yet have beta access.

Comments

• Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    I'm not sure if there are any that will be like ashes. But maybe Guild Wars 2? I haven't played it in awhile. But back before its expansions the WvW was really fun PvP with a group.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    Also twinking on WoW classic servers may or may not be a viable option. Had a blast doing that PvP.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    unfortunately... we live in very dark times for PvP MMOs my friend, which is why there are so many players looking forward for Ashes of Creation

there are some decent PvP MMOs out there but when it comes down to Open World PvP MMOs.... they are plagued with P2W and RMT and I couldn't in good faith recommend those for you since I as a PVP player refuse to play those games

but I will try my best

so, when it comes if you want to get your feet wet, maybe starting with some arena 5v5 PvP - but also with the option for some "open world" pvp (in a specific open world map) I will recommend Guild Wars 2, this WvW open world PVP is actually really representative - but I must warn you, the combat takes some time to get used to, it is very "skill-based" and if you are not a good player, if you don't practice, you will have a very, very hard time - the good thing is, you can try the action camera mode as well to have a good feeling of AoC's hybrid combat

if you are looking for a Completely different combat system than AoC, but looking for a very, very similar experience (but way more extreme) I honestly recommend you try Mortal Online 2 to see how does local economy, a Big, Big world with no fast travel and no "hand-holding" feels like and the absolute extreme of the risk vs reward in a full loot game - I recommend joining their discord for a guild, there are RP and PVE guilds in that game believe it or not, its not all sweaty pvp nerds

Archeage, its the most obvious choice, even tho I will warn you - today's AA does not represent the original AA vision, even classic, the game is all based on meta-game and you Should 100% find a guild to help you out, balancing in AA is also terrible you will get 1shot depending on the classes so be advised that it does not truly represent AoC's PvP

these are my recommendations for you, unfortunately, there's not much out there, but if you want some other (bad) suggestions, there's BDO, Albion, Classic WoW, maybe give New World's PVP a shot... that's about it
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    And to piggyback off of what Liniker said, there's a ton of L2 private servers, quite a lot of which kept the older versions of the game (closer to what Steven experienced). A fair bit of those are usually p2w- or rmt-ridden though.

I'd be willing to find a newer/ish private server on the older version to show what open world pvp and sieges look like, but, considering that L2 is one of the grindiest mmos out there, I'm not sure you'd be willing (or even have the time) to try that out.

I could also find a faster server, if you were interested in purely the pvp experience.
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »
    I consider myself pretty open minded and willing to see another persons point of view. I am also open to new challenges. So, while I am not a classic PvP player, I am willing to give things a shot.

That said, what game should I try out in order to get a good feel of what Ashes PvP will feel like? What recommendations do you have, current or past, live or private server, that does not cost too much to try out, that you believe gives me the best snapshot.

play l2. pick a chrnoicle between interlude or h5 (gracia is good too and less instances than h5)
    avoid l2 essence, its not like aoc, its more like throne and liberty.
    l2 classic is an option too but its kinda different. its like it is but it isnt :D yeah vague i know. just go interlude or gracia/h5
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    what game should I try out in order to get a good feel of what Ashes PvP will feel like?

That's tough, i don't think that's something possible for a single game may it be combat mechanics wise or PvP concept wise.

In terms of combat mechanics and many more systems such as the naval combat, AA is probably the one that will give you the closest idea. AA Classic is a good idea over the AA official servers if you want a better idea of the overall game Steven experienced back then, but if only combat mechanic is the idea of what you want to experience the official is fine specially in the gear equalized sparring arenas(if there are even people playing those nowadays).

It is important to remember that ArcheAge is a Faction game without Karma/Corruption system, with zones that cycle between completely peaceful(making pvp impossible) and completely chaotic(where pvp is actually incentivised), with Sieges very different from the ones expected in AoC, and is a WAY more solo-friendly game than AoC is expected to be.

Now if you want to experience Lineage 2's proper Factionless OPEN WORLD PvP concepts such as the Karma System that is the basis of the Corruption system or sieges, nowadays that's a WAY harder thing to get...

If you need a recommendation for the closest possible experience to golden era Lineage 2 Steven experienced in the past through a original rates private server i can provide you with it.

Just be warned that the grind necessary in order to reach high levels and properly experience those pvp concepts, is probably unlike anything else you might've experienced till now, and if alone, you will definitely feel how non-solo friendly and Group Focused this game was.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    If you need a recommendation for the closest possible experience to golden era Lineage 2 Steven experienced in the past through a original rates private server i can provide you with it.

Just be warned that the grind necessary in order to reach high levels and properly experience those pvp concepts, is probably unlike anything else you might've experienced till now, and if alone, you will definitely feel how non-solo friendly and Group Focused this game was.
    Something like an x1 c4 server would kill a solo player :D The grind was insaaaane.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Something like an x1 c4 server would kill a solo player :D The grind was insaaaane.
    When people say Lineage 2 FORCED them to socialize and make friend they ain't joking. :D
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited July 2023

For open world pvp you could try Eve. Its a bit of a different animal and not sure it would entirely match up, WoW classic pvp servers are also a place to try, but those are the closest(ish) currently. The issue is that both tend to be a bit of a gank fest and Eve has a massive learning curve if you hope to survive an encounter. These really isn't a fantastic example.

That's where some of the debate comes from to be honest. No one really knows how this will pan out because there is nowhere to really test it.

That's pretty much makes us the modern day space monkeys once A2 hits.
  • Options
    My favorite was original darkfall when it came to PvP due to seige mechanics and politics.

As mention earlier PvP MMO are in dark times atm practiacly none exist and those that were coming out to be looking to be a good pvp game, the pvE player base gets it changed (new world for example) was suppose to be heavily pvp orinated but then got gutted when people cried about to much pvp happening so they did a 180 and made it pve in last couple months before launch.
  • Options
    Albion Online is the only PvP MMORPG that's worth playing at the moment. It doesn't require much playtime to get into the meat of it, and it's amazing.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I enjoyed vanilla WoW pvp servers the most, MO2 beta was good, but the game went way downhill after launch.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have installed GW2 and AA and already had WoW Classic installed so we will see what happens. I will probably install L2 as well.
  • Options
    So, while I am not a classic PvP player, I am willing to give things a shot.
    People do what they like.
    You will not have a revelation.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited July 2023
    Albion Online is the only PvP MMORPG that's worth playing at the moment. It doesn't require much playtime to get into the meat of it, and it's amazing.

Quoted for truth. Albion PvP has a low skill entry point and an absolutely towering skill cieling. A top tier player can kill a tean of three or more equally geared players depending on the environment simply by making good decisions and quick thinking. Kinda crazy to think about.
  • Options
    albion is so boring tho, and op was looking for something similar to ashes
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    It's interesting seeing which MMOs people recommend... But also a bit sad to see the lack of confidence in most of them :( As Liniker said, it's perhaps a not-awesome time for MMOs with good PvP features :(

I've enjoyed reading through this thread, though!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    It's interesting seeing which MMOs people recommend... But also a bit sad to see the lack of confidence in most of them :( As Liniker said, it's perhaps a not-awesome time for MMOs with good PvP features :(

I've enjoyed reading through this thread, though!

it is an awesome time for mmorpg with good pvp features! and most importantly no p2w. people are craving it. this desire has existed for years
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited July 2023
    I'd say BDO but it is too much for most people(though a lot easier now with less gear as long as you spend enough time learning your class), nothing is really a staple pvp wise and everything is old as hell.

A lot of fun pvp for me is about the story behind it, the encounters you have with people, the politics, the wars that happen. Those are the types of things that really make the experience. Without having something like that you are missing that soul of pvp.

edit to add*

So what you choose to play I'd find a good server and good group of people to play with so you will be able to more so experience it and see how other people are.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    I was actually discussing this with some friends yesterday and while I have never played this recommendation, Mortal Online 2 came up as the most PvP MMORPG currently. That being said it is PvP in the extreme so if you decide to look into it, go into it knowing you will die, you will lose your gear, and those are part of the aspects of the game. Definitely a hardcore point of view.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I was actually discussing this with some friends yesterday and while I have never played this recommendation, Mortal Online 2 came up as the most PvP MMORPG currently. That being said it is PvP in the extreme so if you decide to look into it, go into it knowing you will die, you will lose your gear, and those are part of the aspects of the game. Definitely a hardcore point of view.

mortal 2 is soo boring tho and the combat isnt that great. but thats subjective i guess
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Depraved wrote: »
    mortal 2 is soo boring tho and the combat isnt that great. but thats subjective i guess

Yea, I think MO2 is better for an overall experience than for the combat system specifically if you want to feel what would the worst-case scenario of a punishing risk vs reward pvp game looks like, there's no better option

a game were reputation matters, travel distances are huge, playing solo is... bad, a game where you will still find casuals, crafters, roleplayers but also griefers and PKers, the good and bad side of PvP, MO2 has it all - I think it's a good experience for AoC, but ofc, it's an extreme example

and as you said, combat kind of sucks, and its definitely underwhelming when you first get into and have no idea what to do
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    the idea of the combat is cool, but not the implementation.

but the issue is the gameplay loop, its boringgg
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Raven016 wrote: »
    So, while I am not a classic PvP player, I am willing to give things a shot.
    People do what they like.
    You will not have a revelation.

i smell a motivational podcast in your future.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2023
    Everquest 2 in the early days of PVP was super fun. Having a raid group have to move in the open world to the raid instance entrance and having to fight off other raid groups. It was AWESOME!

then they invented flags that you could teleport to... so one guy, in stealth, moved to the raid zone and planted a flag. Ruined everything... in the name of progress.

i also enjoy battlegrounds type pvp. 5v5 or 8 v 8 small maps with objectives. call of duty MMO style play.
  • Options
  • Options
    What does Fun PvP look like...

Does anyone have footage of the Intrepid Team's 'Dino Lightsaber Battle' from the charity show?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 2023
    Darkfall by far was some of the most memorable pvp moments for me the combat was ok/bearable (was very twitch base) but the combat wasnt what made that game great it was risk vs reward and the everyday server politics between guild cities.
    early on in darkfall release literaly WW1 started between 2 faction thats engulfed 90% of the playerbase in someway till one faction was destroyed rip Hyperium.

the game flaw was it neglected PvE and was a little too high skill cap for PvP but other than that was probaly the best game ive played in regards to pvp by a long shot in the last 20 years

Darkfall is also very similiar to AoC with there system but very crude in comparison imo but was a 2009 release indy game or something that flew under most people radars outside of the pvp crowd

a few posts mention MO2 which i think is a slightly worst version than darkfall but somewhat similiar in thing from eachother MO2 just got terribly clunky combat i cant stand :D
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sadly, this game, RIFT is on it's last leg..nothing but old players, but here is a glimpse of some really fun PVP...first is a battleground with some open world pvp mixed in , and the second is pure open world fighting over a world boss.

https://youtu.be/d5mFxAWAWjE

https://youtu.be/GBH8A6HsQaU

• Options
    TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ya Archeage would be a perfect choice, I have a feeling it's going to be very close to that. Although with node wars it could add a bit more spice, I believe that's where the majority of killing will happen. Not from random gankers.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst And
    Wednesday's at 7:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured