Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

world/node dynamics

AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I feel like most of the community is missing the larger point of ashes of creation. It is designed to be sorta like game of thrones. everyone is fighting for control and as soon as they have it, they are a target and get f*cked up by the next upstart.

everyone is talking about large guilds, but I think alliances will be the key... and they are tricky too, cause in an alliance no one can seem to agree on who is the most important. Steven is trying to build a game that is about people... how people interact... come together... war.... alliances with people you dont like.

This is going to be GREAT.

Comments

• Options
    RavicusRavicus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    yep, It will be fun to see how it plays out, the spies, the treason, the backstabbing!! The Murder!!! Muhahahahaha
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    the best and worst of humanity will be at the forefront. I LOVE it.
  • Options
    Abarat wrote: »

xyb034xnjqr7.png
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think we get it. At least I know I do. That's why I signed up 6 years ago.
  • Options
    Diplomacy will be the biggest driving point i reckon, Diplomacy betweens guild and Nodes will be largest driving point on the conflict in the world. So yes alliances will pay a huge role over individual guilds. Large individual guilds can act as a rock for an aliance since more members tend to carry more weight cause node mayors dont wanna loose large number of Citizens aka defenders.

MMO ive played that have player Diplomacy and Politics between guilds have been some of the best ive played persoanly.
  • Options
    ShabooeyShabooey Member
    edited July 2023
    The fallout when a guild or alliance is outright betrayed or when they have been found out trying to sneakily undermine them is going to be great haha
  • Options
    everyone is talking about large guilds, but I think alliances will be the key...

So not being in a guild is still bad.
  • Options
    There is really not a big difference between guilds and alliances. Would be more interesting if you would state your thoughts on possible interactions instead of "you don't understand!!!"
  • Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I believe that people underestimate how much node citizenship is going to play a part in the player dynamics.

Node citizenship enables solo style oriented players to participate in a variety of settings in a much more casual way than a guild or alliance may offer. Node citizenship is one of the big things that make me believe that people underestimate how casual/solo friendly this game can potentially be.

I’ve played mmos in so many different ways, but I know from my own experience that if I wanted to play this game casually/not as committed to a specific group, node citizenship feels like a viable path to let me do that.
  • Options
    Citizens need the most awesome looking community freeholds.
  • Options
    Can I be sent beyond the Wall? Please.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    everyone is talking about large guilds, but I think alliances will be the key...

So not being in a guild is still bad.

maybe just being a citizen will be enough to participate in node stuff.

you could still be just that 7-10 person guild with your inner circle and form an alliance with a node or other guild. I think even small guilds will wield power if they have adequate play time.
  • Options
    Garrtok wrote: »
    There is really not a big difference between guilds and alliances. Would be more interesting if you would state your thoughts on possible interactions instead of "you don't understand!!!"

didnt mean to offend. I was not referring to anyone specifically. I just meant you dont see a lot of talk about it. MY OP was poorly worded.
  • Options
    iccericcer Member
    edited July 2023
    It has got the potential to be great, and more likely than not, it will be. But there's also potential that it's going to fail in some areas.

"the worst" is the part that worries me. Because if given freedom, some psychopaths will ruin the game for others. I could do without the "worst" part, especially if it goes to the extreme.

I think there's a great potential with the node system. Now I'm not sure if this is how it will work, and if not, I guess this is my suggestion, but Node Citizenship should give some protection to those that generally dislike getting randomly attacked by randoms.
    For example, if you are a node citizen, you cannot be attacked by other citizens of that node (or the nodes attached to it, vassal nodes). Alternatively, you can be attacked by them, but they will gain a significantly larger amount of corruption than normal. And if you are a part of a guild, that's a part of an alliance, you cannot be attacked by those players either.
    That's a sort of a safety net, and it really helps limit to who you could get attacked by, because the last thing we need is to worry about every single player around us, thinking they will PK us if given the chance.

I also think that will encourage players to protect their node against invaders, and it will help to create that sort of a feeling of "quasi" factions, where there are clear enemies and allies. If you belong to a certain faction (node or alliance, in a lot of cases I assume it will be both), you know who your friends are, therefore you know which players won't attack you, and you also know which players are your enemies, and you know there's a possibility you'll get attacked by them.

They just need to make sure that most players actually want to take the citizenship. Those who don't take it are either roamers, nomads if you will, or even pirates/bad guys that are hostile to most people.
  • Options
    iccer wrote: »
    Now I'm not sure if this is how it will work, and if not, I guess this is my suggestion, but Node Citizenship should give some protection to those that generally dislike getting randomly attacked by randoms.
    For example, if you are a node citizen, you cannot be attacked by other citizens of that node (or the nodes attached to it, vassal nodes). Alternatively, you can be attacked by them, but they will gain a significantly larger amount of corruption than normal.

I think, with my rudimentary understanding, I would agree to increased corruption for killing fellow citizens. It may already be a thing.
  • Options

Might sound strange, but that is actually one of the reasons I'm a bit worried about the effects of larger (larger as in easily multiple ingame-guilds) pre-made guilds descending on the servers at launch. I fear they will prove too "solid" and act as a stabilising force that disables a lot of that gameplay loop for the servers they choose to join. Hopefully this concern will prove baseless though.
  • Options
    Dhaiwon wrote: »

Might sound strange, but that is actually one of the reasons I'm a bit worried about the effects of larger (larger as in easily multiple ingame-guilds) pre-made guilds descending on the servers at launch. I fear they will prove too "solid" and act as a stabilising force that disables a lot of that gameplay loop for the servers they choose to join. Hopefully this concern will prove baseless though.

I think you will see hints in the alpha/beta if the big guilds are forming. Then possibly have to figure out which servers they will be on. That might mitigate that risk if you are worried about that.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    DhaiwonDhaiwon Member
    edited July 2023
    Ravicus wrote: »

I believe, but I'm not 100% certain so don't take my word for it, it was Liniker who somewhere mentioned a discord with guild-leaders, some of them with guilds already over 1000-2000 players that is currently keeping track of the game. So, if that is true, guilds of a significant size are at least already well on their way to form :)

• Options

I believe, but I'm not 100% certain so don't take my word for it, it was Liniker who somewhere mentioned a discord with guild-leaders, some of them with guilds already over 1000-2000 players that is currently keeping track of the game. So, if that is true, guilds of a significant size are at least already well on their way to form :)

yep, I guess you get what you put in, and they are putting the work in :smiley: Liniker on the stream looked like a really likeable guy, and seems like a genuine standup player. I have not even started looking at guilds yet, I will let it happen organically.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options

yep, I guess you get what you put in, and they are putting the work in :smiley: Liniker on the stream looked like a really likeable guy, and seems like a genuine standup player. I have not even started looking at guilds yet, I will let it happen organically.

is that him?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liniker
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

is that him?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liniker

I could be wrong but I do not think so.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    I wouldn't know either :)

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    yep, It will be fun to see how it plays out, the spies, the treason, the backstabbing!! The Murder!!! Muhahahahaha

I like where your head is at >:)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm playing the long game of a simple pve player so that once we launch I can easily shock and awe and take all your stuff.
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited July 2023
    I feel like most of the community is missing the larger point of ashes of creation. It is designed to be sorta like game of thrones. everyone is fighting for control and as soon as they have it, they are a target and get f*cked up by the next upstart.

everyone is talking about large guilds, but I think alliances will be the key... and they are tricky too, cause in an alliance no one can seem to agree on who is the most important. Steven is trying to build a game that is about people... how people interact... come together... war.... alliances with people you dont like.

I was thinking this same thing, but a little different. The point of this game I think is bringing people together. The game seems to be centered around teamwork. Which makes sense, the genre is an MMO.

I think the systems and the soft friction exists to encourage people to team up. The PvP, the sieges, the caravans, the open ocean, they exists to serve a purpose, to incentivize grouping up.

A while after launch I'm positive there will be at least one server where virtually no game of thrones stuff is happening, where people have formed such a large and powerful alliance that it has snuffed out all PvP.

How those people will enjoy the game for long like that is beyond me, but I've been around the community enough to know they'll exist and that's what a large group of people prefer.
    5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options

I was thinking this same thing, but a little different. The point of this game I think is bringing people together. The game seems to be centered around teamwork. Which makes sense, the genre is an MMO.

So you say the target audience are the solo PvE-ers?

A while after launch I'm positive there will be at least one server where virtually no game of thrones stuff is happening, where people have formed such a large and powerful alliance that it has snuffed out all PvP.

How those people will enjoy the game for long like that is beyond me, but I've been around the community enough to know they'll exist and that's what a large group of people prefer.

Those people will come already brought together by a streamer, who is usually a person which 20 y ago would be just a guild leader but now can be much more.

That content creator will entertain the followers. The game is just a tool.
    You do not like and support any streamer? With money I mean.
    'Likes' on YouTube and Death Stranding don't count.