Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Constellation Mapping and Cartography

GeeGeeGeeGee Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I was reading the wiki and wondered if there could be room for some sort of cartography and mapping constellations. Due to there being some utility skills that allow certain classes to locate hidden pathways, that may lead on to hidden quests etc. I thought it would be pretty cool if you had some form of profession that allowed you to jot down co-ordinates and map constellations, what time you can see the constellations etc in an in game journal and maybe sell the information on the market. Maybe it's already been discussed, not sure but could fit in with people interested in exploration...

Comments

• Options
    I seem to remember in a livestream, they went to the top of a hill and started mapping stars. Can't remember what effect it had, or if they've divulged that yet.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Yes man, correct, I think they showed that around the cleric update? Can't quite remember exactly when. I think the outcome was that you came across the constellation at certain times throughout a limited time period and you can use them to navigate and find POI'S.... I thought if you came across one of those and you had the appropriate profession it would be cool if you could plot charts and sell to other people looking for POI's on the map 👍
  • Options
    Yes, it was shown as an ability of the Vek race, and a constellation map would be very useful both for navigators who can use this resource, and for those who will benefit from this stargazing mechanic.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    @GeeGee timestamp 38:44 if link doesnt start there
    https://youtu.be/cqIiIeI-XvA?t=2324
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've just been reminded of this due to something in another game... who's even in charge of the skybox at the moment? We haven't heard anything about it in a while, but with dynamic weather patterns, will that be the thing that makes these sorts of charts useful?

e.g. during certain weather conditions, dimmer or 'pinker' stars become harder to see, so those without knowledge of the constellations wouldn't be able to determine their position, whereas a more skilled astronomer or someone with the aforementioned star chart might be able to infer where they are.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Guajatu wrote: »
    Yes, it was shown as an ability of the Vek race, and a constellation map would be very useful both for navigators who can use this resource, and for those who will benefit from this stargazing mechanic.

Ahh that's awesome, I didn't realise it was a exclusive racial skill for the Vek. That's very, very cool though. Thanks for letting me know ☺️
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    I've just been reminded of this due to something in another game... who's even in charge of the skybox at the moment? We haven't heard anything about it in a while, but with dynamic weather patterns, will that be the thing that makes these sorts of charts useful?

e.g. during certain weather conditions, dimmer or 'pinker' stars become harder to see, so those without knowledge of the constellations wouldn't be able to determine their position, whereas a more skilled astronomer or someone with the aforementioned star chart might be able to infer where they are.

This really could open up a whole profession in many ways as I don't think that cartography or star mapping is listed on the professions they've announced? Maybe even just as a utility skill you could unlock in one of the trees. Could actually be a good money maker for explorers and Ship captains. I think they may have mentioned some of the constellations will only be visible in certain seasons (I maybe wrong) but that would make the information quite valuable to those willing to pay.

@Guajatu did mention earlier that the Vek race may actually have something along these lines though which is great to know it's at least being considered.