Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why did you stop to play an MMO you once loved?

Easy format. Write the name of the MMO and explain why you cannot look at it anymore.
Which will hopefully lead to Ashes not adopting the same signs of what made you divorce your first great MMO love. ;)

My first and only MMO that made me happy beyond compare was World of Warcraft.

Everything fell into place perfectly. Maybe because I did not had any reference before but everything just felt right.
Leveling was a bit too slow but I didn't care cause the gameworld was immersive and beautiful.
My character, a Paladin I leveled and played as Retributionpaladin, could stand his own in the openworld PvP and casuals were so many that no one bothered my lack of actual controllable dps in PvE instances.

During the 40 man raids during the end of Vanilla I had to specc holy of course since the DPS of a Retripala has always been an uncontrollable russianroullete and who has time for that when the healingcapacity of Palas in Vanilla was one of the most mana conserving in the entire game?
And with AQ40 gear, going to the Alteracvalley battleground was much more fun than going to Naxxramas.
Yes I crushed casuals and I do not regret it a tiny bit. I am a superior being and my character reflected that. :D

Why I quit playing WoW entirely.

Cause I just did everything I wanted and the game has become something that just cannot interest me anymore.
My last 7 months, 6 by halfyear subscription +1 with the WoW token, was during BfA. With the first 6 months starting and the other 1 month somewhere during the time this landscape had release where we went to Queen Ashzara's landscape.
I did not played Shadowlands.
I sure as hell do not plan to play Dragonflight.
And whatever comes afterwards.
Why? :)

Because I've unlocked every allied race I was still interested in and dripped them out quite nicely.
And because I can already see what I would do during all of the next expansions.
Grinding more "transmogs" (who cares about itemlevels really) for roleplay reasons... and never be done with it as usual.
You are never done with anything anymore.
The grinds are never ending and this makes WoW feel like a job. :sleepy:

I was once enjoying to be a PvP menace. Then I became a PvE'ler and a RP'ler.
But I never wanted to become a hamster in a wheel and farm stuff forever due to their lifetime disrespectingly low dropates.
And this is coming from me, who has his fair share of 1% drop mounts.

There is only one thing that could make me come back to WoW at this point and that is if I get every single transmog for free now that is in the game and have all new one's automatically unlocked the moment they are added to the game.
Why? Cuz I am a f°°°ing god and I should be treated like a King.
Not even joking these are my genuine feelings. B)

But I know this will never happen due to the nature of WoW being a grinding & farming game. ^_^
Which is okay of course. But I am someone who takes his lifetime very seriously and I just cannot respect it anymore to not be treated like a demigod at the very least, for having invested so much lifetime into the game already and still not be done with just about everything.

... so that I can focus on the true activities I would like to pursue in the current WoW.
Which are... standing around in random locations in the game world, dripped out and doing ROLEPLAY with likeminded individuals and having a good time.
WoW PvP is dogshit boring since BurningCrusade released the first time.
PvE -> just watch Asmongold, regarding raiding.
And do not even get me started on the storywriting. ;)

A~nd this is why I quit WoW and am happy with it. =)
So whatever it is that Ashes of Creation will be doing and I hope it avoids.

+ Not too many 1% droprates that are also locked behind a +30 minute instance progression once every week
+ Timelimited stuff that makes people depressed forever for having missed out the timewindow in which it was available
+ Immortal healers in PvP due to damage for some reason laughably nerfed compared to general healing potential

This is all already.
If these three steps are followed I cannot see why I would become unhappy in the future AoC.
Thanks for reading. =)
6h4yddoh6t31.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yep, that definitely all sounds like the perspective of an ex-WoW player.

I dial back my time in MMOs I like when they start adding too many 'EasyMode' mechanics that force me to make my own challenge-fun, or when they shut down.

I don't think I ever left an MMO I actually liked, outright, before it closed down or had so few players that it became a single player game.

I've played a lot of MMOs I don't actually like, for 'study' purposes, though. I generally leave those when my 'studying' is over, or when slogging through their playloops to gather firsthand data is literally painful (BDO).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    blatblat Member
    I was WoW for a long time, from vanilla to WoD then back to Classic.

All the QoL stuff, obsessive class balancing (loss of identity) and general dumbing-down of the game killed retail for me, which also contributed to making the game far less social.
    Classic saved it for me, but the constant server population issues; migrations, merges, faction imbalance etc slowly put me off.

Also, I've never enjoyed the economy side of things. Soulbound items make the economy feel v two-dimensional to me. Gather -> craft -> trade (once) -> vendor trash.
    It always felt so artificial.
    The economy was disappointing coming from Runescape, which says something.

Although I do -love- the combat; the pace, complexity, variety of playstyles etc. So this is my single biggest concern/hope for Ashes atm.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Lineage 2.

The game changed into something completely different. Played on private servers of older versions for years. And with time I got tired of replaying the same game over and over, considering that I had learned all of it several years prior (even got complimented on my knowledge several times B) ).
  • Options
    They brought out a sequel that didn't look like it had anywhere near the feel of the original, and most of the players went there and the game became a ghost town.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 28
    Chosing only those I remember the reason I quit:
    • Asheron's Call - it just got a little stale, I had done most things, and a new shiny MMORPG came out (AO)
    • Anarchy Online - Amazing vibes in the game, but so buggy. So very, very game-breakingly buggy.
    • Dark Age of Camelot - RvR was amazing, but the PvE side was lacking. So in the end, I quit because of that when WoW came out. I came back later on and played some more until Warhammer Online though.
    • World of Warcraft - I loved the questing, but as soon as I hit that endgame where I did molten core and onyxia a few times, and only raiding was left, and the never-ending gear treadmill became apparent, I saw the writing on the wall and quit. I came back two more times over the years (wrath and cataclysm), did the questing thing, and quit again for the same reasons as the first time.
    • Eve Online - I have quit and come back several times. Every time, I just end up playing spreadsheets more than the game, after a while. I love many of the systems, but I think I keep missing being a character and not a ship out in the world.
    • Lord of the Rings Online - Alpha burnout really. I knew a developer in Turbine who got me into the early closed alpha where we only had the shire really, and played through the wipes and all that for a long time. By the time the game released, I was burnt out. I played maybe 6 months, did all the things, made a fortune ingame by crafting armor, and that was that.
    • Age of Conan - Another buggy Funcom release, and it had some good stuff, but in the end I think what sealed the deal was the bugs and the combat I didn't like.
    • Darkfall - Full loot PvP and lack of meaningful PvE things to do just wasn't for me.
    • Warhammer Online - I love warhammer, the lore, the universe, but Mythic couldn't deliver on the RvR, and there was the whole selling out to EA thing.
    • Rift - I honestly think the main reason here was that SWTOR came out and people I know moved to that.
    • SWTOR - Loved the story, the voice over, found the end-game lacking.
    • I can't actually remember why I quit Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls online. I played both for a good while. It might have been RL stuff I was dealing with.
    • Black Desert Online - The enchanting primarily (fuck that system), and then the ever increasing addition of P2W elements.

I played other games, like starwars galaxies and elite dangerous, but I have zero recollection of why I quit.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Nerror wrote: »
    we only had the shire really, and played through the wipes and all that for a long time. By the time the game released, I was burnt out. I played maybe 6 months, did all the things, made a fortune ingame by crafting armor, and that was that.
    Hope you don't burnout on Ashes then :)
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    Nerror wrote: »
    we only had the shire really, and played through the wipes and all that for a long time. By the time the game released, I was burnt out. I played maybe 6 months, did all the things, made a fortune ingame by crafting armor, and that was that.
    Hope you don't burnout on Ashes then :)

I am acutely aware of it, and yes, thanks :smile: I might force myself to take long breaks if the wipes are common.
  • Options
    I used to play SWTOR for the majority of my time. It was my classic WoW, I grew up with the game and played it throughout my middle school and high school years. I found my current gaming group from that game and I would argue it was the game I played as I became a mature adult. But memories alone cannot carry a game...

SWTOR always had an issue with content. Every major expansion the game would refresh the endgame with a new raid and made the old raids still relevant to do by scaling them up or keeping the loot the same. So in effect this made every year the same content cycle to do with an additional raid or dungeon in the pool to complete. This came to a head when the game started to slow down its development cycle. There came a time when I got the top gear on my main and quit for the expansion and only came back when friends wanted to game. For the next year and a half, I was the top gear of the game STILL and nothing updated or changed for me to keep playing. There was no reason to give my subscription, I was doing the same content I did for years with no additional content to keep me sated for a year and a half. Even now that the content and endgame is updated again, very little meaningful content is released for me to return to the game.

I try to play it again every now and again but I cant. The game does not offer enough content to merit 15$ a month. Not when the content has been the same endgame content I have played since 2016 and earlier with just a new gearing system and one additional dungeon and bad PVP map. And the worse part is every time I log in, I remember what was rather than what currently is. I cant play without seeing the ghosts around me, and I just cant play it anymore.
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    Why? I found something i loved even more. The games did not become less fun. I did. I sought pleasure in other genres. Nothing really stuck. Life moved on.

RALLY UNDER ONE BANNER AGAIN! PLEASE! FOR GODS SAKE! MAKE A FUCKING GOOD MMO BEFORE I DIE!
  • Options
    The main mmo I played and left was World of Warcraft (Wrath of the Lich King- early dragonflight with some breaks) and classic world of warcraft
    The game was great
    Good class flavor
    Good lore
    Good world
    Good community
    Then developers seemed to lose sight of what makes the game good
    Classes homogenize then e-sportify
    Lore becomes bland if not cringe
    Every expansion turns endgame into an island
    Any resemblance of community is replaced with convenience including the ability to replace players in any group
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    Yep, that definitely all sounds like the perspective of an ex-WoW player.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha hah !! :D

As someone who plays WoW only " every Two Months " from like a 10th Day to a 15th Day, so i have about TWO WEEKS everytime to get my Points full for the Trading Post,

and then take from there would i would think would be nice for my Characters to have -> i am VEEERY excited to say the least, to see World of WoW-Token Craft FINALLY STRUGGLE when Ashes of Creation hits the Stage.

Of Course, the will-less Consumer-Junkies of WoW will keep WoW alive. But i still hope it loses quite a lot of Players. I loved the Game for a long time, but the Company Blizzard is truly such a vile Piece of you-know-what, that i would to see them sweating buckets about not having a mostly MONOPOLY of an addictive Game anymore.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    koltovince wrote: »
    There came a time when I got the top gear on my main and quit for the expansion and only came back when friends wanted to game. For the next year and a half, I was the top gear of the game STILL and nothing updated or changed for me to keep playing.
    Hehehehehe, no dark joy when you rule over the casuals in PvP with your godlike gear?
    This is what I did in the first year of WoW's release and it felt right and only natural.
    But it is true that it can get very lonely up there on that peak.
    There was no reason to give my subscription, I was doing the same content I did for years with no additional content to keep me sated for a year and a half. Even now that the content and endgame is updated again, very little meaningful content is released for me to return to the game.
    Too relatable. :|
    I once had someone who still played World of Warcraft tell me.
    " There is tons & tons of stuff to collect in the game. I bet you don't even have 20% of it! "
    And he was right actually and then I told him
    " There is tons & tons of stuff in the game I HAVE NO INTEREST IN. ", which is of course why most people stop playing a game.
    And the worse part is every time I log in, I remember what was rather than what currently is. I cant play without seeing the ghosts around me, and I just cant play it anymore.
    Again too relatable, aaaargh, the pain. :(:)
    This happened to me only in Vanilla content of course.
    I cannot ever enter Molten Core, Blackwing Lair or Ahn'Qiraj, especially Ahn'Qiraj without at least 1/3 of me remembering the past constantly and missing the time when this was the frontier.
    Now my characters can all solo this raid.
    But there was something special with it to struggle a bit while doing it with others.
    When not everyone had the previlige to make it through it.

I was so fascinated back then. Feeling that merely seeing every corner of the instance as a small previlige.
    And the music! Uff, so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLJjV3Ewpc
    Totally delievered the feeling of being in an ancient, lost civilization bughumanoid empire that is mostly in ruins but still lurking with some residents left behind.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    Dripyula wrote: »
    Hehehehehe, no dark joy when you rule over the casuals in PvP with your godlike gear?
    This is what I did in the first year of WoW's release and it felt right and only natural.
    But it is true that it can get very lonely up there on that peak.

I did have said joy, but it quickly vanished. I was a mercenary healer for the later stage of me playing the game, I did all the raids, and at the time the gear for PVP and PVE was the same so I could do SWTOR's mythic raid equivalent and I wouldn't gain anything but achievements which I had no care for. I got too used to not having a challenge to heal in normal PVP and arenas were to sweaty for me to care for when the rewards got reskinned on the cosmetic shop in a few months.
    Dripyula wrote: »
    Too relatable. :|
    I once had someone who still played World of Warcraft tell me.
    " There is tons & tons of stuff to collect in the game. I bet you don't even have 20% of it! "
    And he was right actually and then I told him
    " There is tons & tons of stuff in the game I HAVE NO INTEREST IN. ", which is of course why most people stop playing a game.

The issue with SWTORs content was that I did do more than half the game. I did all the raids years ago on hardmode with my raiding guilds, I pushed my arena rating and broke PVP records on my server, I did all the story for every class. But you are correct, the content i had left which I didn't do I had no interest in either. Yea that remaining 80% of the game we don't have we could get... But not everyone finds enjoyment in fighting an old boss on 8 characters for a 0.2% of a mount that you wont use because the developers made better ones to sell on a store. I hope ashes doesn't run into this issue.

• Options
    OtrOtr Member
    Q: Why did you stop to play an MMO you once loved?
    A: I've fallen in love with another MMO
  • Options
    WoW, I realized its all about the grind and I didn't think my time was worth that in there
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A#1 = HACKS.

Second biggest reason seems to be a lack of endgame.
  • Options
    Otr wrote: »
    Q: Why did you stop to play an MMO you once loved?
    A: I've fallen in love with another MMO

This is an Answer i read quite often and i think we all can relate.

This is why i say once more - and again and again, if i must.

The - Moment - Ashes of Creation comes out - it's not unlikely a Goodbye to WoW, forever.
    WoW grows and grows and grows - > but it never really gets any better.

It doesn't grow better. Only larger.
    One of the VEEERY few Exceptions was - > when they introduced Dragonflying/riding, last Expansion.

But otherwise ... ... ? ... ...
    One Grind after the other. One more Faction to grind oneself up at, after the Other. It never stops.

And the Droprates for Stuff You REALLY want, never gets any higher. The Thought that some People farm even TODAY Stuff weekly -> that came out like SEVEN. YEARS. AGO. - is absolutely mentally insane.

My Love for the Game didn't leave me. The Game - > left me.
    And now it is no longer deserving of my Love. Now it is only just a Game.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited March 28
    Fun thread you've put together here, OP :)

I've never fully quit WoW, but like many, I've played on and off over the years :sweat_smile:
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Would still be playing DAoC if they keep updating the engine. Would still be playing ESO if Cyrodiil was not neglected and buggy.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    edited March 29
    In a lot of games it end up being one of 4 things:
    1. I have to high-end raid to compete at other elements of the game like PvP, crafting, economy, etc. Many many games are/were like this. For the longest time I kept rule: real world stuff (even last minute stuff like a friend calling to hit up the bars) takes priority over games, and this makes scheduled raiding nearly impossible....and I didn't really like it that much anyway.
    2. There was no real endgame once you level cap and are geared (Age of Conan, New World, etc. But also every Diablo clone out there where they pretend leveling/gearing is the endgame)
    3. My friends/guild all quit, and the game is not solo-accessible for long enough to find other good people.
    4. Something better comes along, combined with getting tired of the current game

So the longest game that I played was ESO. Very accessible PvP for solo, small group and zerg. I also weathered 2 separate guild collapses because a couple friends stuck with it too. The 12-man raids were not mandatory for good gearing, and they could be pugged on non-hardmode to get the set pieces you wanted. The large amount of mostly horizontal content (skill points, dungeon soloing, maelstrom arena, crafting, economy, etc) helped too. Gear was account-bound, which made alts another fun activity
  • Options
    FlankerFlanker Member
    Lineage 2.

The game changed into something completely different. Played on private servers of older versions for years. And with time I got tired of replaying the same game over and over, considering that I had learned all of it several years prior (even got complimented on my knowledge several times B) ).
    Same here. From hardcore old school Korean MMO it turned into P2W mobile garbage with auto-hunting
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    VargosVargos Member
    Lineage 2: The initial diversity and skill-based gameplay were overshadowed by the introduction of versions dominated by loot boxes and pay-to-win strategies. The essence of skill and knowledge faded away, making the game less appealing.

World of Warcraft (WoW): Cataclysm and Legion expansions marked my downturn with WoW. Cataclysm altered the game too much for my liking, and Legion’s lack of PvP activities, coupled with repetitive battlegrounds, drained my enthusiasm.

Black Desert Online (BDO): BDO’s endless grind quickly became monotonous. Moreover, updates devalued items that took months to acquire, demoralizing when newcomers could obtain the same items within days.

Lost Ark: The obligation to complete daily quests without fail meant any real-life interruptions like business trips would irreversibly set you back compared to the server's population.

Archeage: The game introduced overly complicated gear and numerous potions, which were oddly usable in arenas. Eventually, all the equipment I had became worthless, diminishing my will to play.

Albion Online: While the game has its merits, the isometric perspective didn’t captivate me. A significant deterrent was the high-risk PvP gear system, where top gear could be lost, discouraging its use in PvP.

A common thread among these experiences is the disenchantment from practices that prioritize monetization over player skill, introduce game-altering updates without considering player investment, or impose tedious gameplay mechanics. As developers create AoC, I hope they take these reflections to heart. The essence of MMORPGs should revolve around skill, exploration, and community rather than grind, pay-to-win models, or punishing RNG mechanics. Here's to creating games that we won't want to leave.
  • Options
    Lineage 2.

I will never forgive NCSoft for what they did to L2
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited March 30
    I will never forgive NCSoft for what they did to L2

" G~oood ... ... ... ... g~oood ... ... ... ... "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27dfqU_NyeE

" Bad Companies don't deserve your Forgiveness, James ... ... "

" Bad Companies deserve that You remember them ~ hold onto your rightful grudges ... ... ... ... ... that You DON'T tolerate and wave through the intentional Decisions to ruin what made a Game fun - and insert shitty Alterations and Changes to satisfy their Greed ... ... ... "

z5b3uglmb0xv.jpeg

" At last we will support Ashes of Creation against these shitty Companies ... ...

... ... ... at last we will have Revenge ... ... "

I have way to much Fun creating Comments like this one. 😁 . 😂
    So this is what Withdrawl from monthly Presentations do to you. =P Oh !! A new Presentation is out. <3

But honestly now,
    i see so many relatable Comments and Statements in the last Days. I had such Experiences as well.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited April 2
    . Reason for this post got resolved .
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    1. WoW-Cataclysm was so different ( not just visually) to me from WOTLK that it killed the magic for me.
    2. Guild Wars 2-Lack of trinity system.Too much casual friendly decisions.
    3. Archage-I dont really need to say why...
    4. Neverwinter-p2w, lack of open world.
    5. ESO-overall rigidity of the animation. Cyrodiil being its own thing, detached from other areas. Lack of dueling.
  • Options
    Edited. \\_(°3°)_//

I agree it is funnier this way. 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Fun thread you've put together here, OP :)

I've never fully quit WoW, but like many, I've played on and off over the years :sweat_smile:

No one ever truly quits WoW, they just take really long breaks 😂
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    No one ever truly quits WoW, they just take really long breaks 😂

The People who sold their Accounts to others for Prices up the four- or five-digits would differ. But i admit, most People who were once addicted to WoW, stay at WoW.

However,

you might want to observe curiously how many of those People will behave, once Ashes comes out. People who mostly cling only to this Corpse of what they once loved, only because of the Nostalgia.

Only because nothing comparable in a Fantasy-Universe is out. And Gods above and below spare me Everyone with Final Fantasy Fourteen and other MMO's with a somewhat completely different Vibe. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »

The People who sold their Accounts to others for Prices up the four- or five-digits would differ. But i admit, most People who were once addicted to WoW, stay at WoW.

However,

you might want to observe curiously how many of those People will behave, once Ashes comes out. People who mostly cling only to this Corpse of what they once loved, only because of the Nostalgia.

Only because nothing comparable in a Fantasy-Universe is out. And Gods above and below spare me Everyone with Final Fantasy Fourteen and other MMO's with a somewhat completely different Vibe. ;)

What would you say to those who are clinging to the current iteration of WoW? Do you think we will be able to adjust to the Ashes play style and get along with it?