Will Oceanic servers be active for Alpha 2?

RobdogatronRobdogatron Member
edited July 11 in General Discussion
As the title suggests, will oceanic servers be active for Alpha 2? Currently have Beta pack because it was confirmed years ago that there would be oceanic servers for the beta. I’m unsure if anything has changed in regards to this for Alpha 2?

Comments

• HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    God I hope so. I have 8 friends with A2 access, a whole guild and a few thousand goblins who would love to see A2 have an OCE server.

p16alb2b8g8a.gif
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here.
    And all the emptiness inside disappears.
  • I would upgrade if we got Oce servers! Wooo
  • PyrololPyrolol Member
    7p4yydxsivu9.jpeg

Probably not in the Alpha, more like when Beta is out
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Will Oceanic servers be active for Alpha 2 ?

MOST likely ... ... ...

1.) - > Not at the very Beginning of Alpha Two.

2.) - > Somewhere between the Middle of Alpha Two Start and Beta-Start. When enough testings on "solid Landmass" are done.

3.) - > Also seeing Point 2.) - > when dear Sir Steven and his Crew are confident enough they got everything done and running regarding Land and only the Oceans needs testing.
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • NikbisNikbis Member
    We know regional servers are planned but I was wondering... With today's tech (4G+/5G/fiber on client side, I assume server side things tend to be better too?), do we still need them?

Back in 2016, I used to play Phantasy Star Online 2 on JP servers (through AidaEna's custom client/launcher with built-in VPN iirc), so before its Steam/Microsoft Store release.
    From EU West to Japan is quite a gap, still my ping was flawless, even in PvP.

With server meshing under work, a clear answer might be tricky to get, but still: are there any australian A1 playtesters? How is the ping for you right now? Is it the same as other players or worse?

And more generally, how is the ping for aussie players on american servers, on various games? Is it still the same lag fest as before?

As time and playtests goes, we'll be fixed on that.
    If at some point AU players can go on US servers without concerns, then literally anybody else in the world can. Physically based regional servers wouldn't be needed anymore.
    If I had to keep only one song, it would be this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2pson54s
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 12
    If there a player base there probaly would be (only devs know how many OCE players have purchased A2 atm)

Eitherway with how the combat seems like it be easily playable with 200ping to the US servers if needed.

i am Australian myself but tbh ill probaly have a character on both NA and Oce server since ive been playuing with a NA guild for decades now :P but wil probaly have friend playing on OCE aswell haha
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 12
    Nikbis wrote: »

And more generally, how is the ping for aussie players on american servers, on various games? Is it still the same lag fest as before?

It's not really a server issue.

There's not really a fix for the speed of light.

I know when the ISP TPG had their undersea cable in Perth cut it caused a nice lag spike due to the load that was now handled by the cables going out from NSW and Queensland. Ping went up by about 40-50ms and some people had severe packet losses on some games depending on the ping relay network that was handling the added data.

But generally ping to US from east coast AUS seems to be 160-220ms on most games across all ISPs with stable relay (depending on where the data centres are located that the games are using.)

You can also use things like exit lag to get it a bit lower. It's far better than it used to be in the early mmo days, but still not preferred for pvp as you're a couple of ticks behind.

You can absolutely play on it no sweat and have fun. But in a competitive scene there'll definitely still be frustration at a few spells casting later and perhaps late mob tags when camping bosses that sort of thing.

Compare that to servers in Australia: on apex I get a whole 9ms on Sydney servers. On valorant Sydney it's 7ms

Overwatch Melbourne and FF14 fluctuates about 12-16ms

There's also other things to consider. Such as the server prime time.

No point for OCE to play on US when US prime time is right in the middle of OCE day time and none of the OCE are logged in to join the raids, events and sieges.

The other thing is housing. OCE will by its nature likely be a much tighter knit smaller community, because of that I think there'll be alot less struggle for access to freeholds and other apartments.

Some OCE daytime people might enjoy NA's larger population base however and put up with the lag.

xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here.
    And all the emptiness inside disappears.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The ms isn't going to be to bad to connect to NA so I wouldn't worry to much
  • PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited July 13
    Massive difference between playing at 10-20ping and 150-200 ping
    It can get really frustrating in almost every situation and pressing things and them not happening instantly especially in intense scenarios
    I won’t mind playing the Alpha 2 in NA

But if the game isn’t going to release an actual OCE server for launch, Ill be sticking to WoW
    That’s how serious the ping issue is (even with exit lag) it only reduces it by 10-20ping
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    Massive difference between playing at 10-20ping and 150-200 ping
    It can get really frustrating in almost every situation and pressing things and them not happening instantly especially in intense scenarios
    I won’t mind playing the Alpha 2 in NA

But if the game isn’t going to release an actual OCE server for launch, Ill be sticking to WoW
    That’s how serious the ping issue is (even with exit lag) it only reduces it by 10-20ping

but the best part of being on a NA server with PvP is when Americans decide to use the well i have 50 ping atm which is why u won and u get to replay with well i have 220 ping and they just shut up so quickly after that haha
  • someone way back yonder said OCE -> NA ping for A1 was about 110 so hopefully that holds true for A2 as well. either way its only alpha so living with the lag till release while somewhat annoying is only temporary
  • TryolTryol Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hinotori wrote: »
    God I hope so. I have 8 friends with A2 access, a whole guild and a few thousand goblins who would love to see A2 have an OCE server.

p16alb2b8g8a.gif

Is Honeygoblin not one of the cutest Gobbo's out there ? :cookie:

Jokes aside Hinotori,
    if You are aware about Monster Coin Raids - > we might be able to get a l~OOOOOOOOOT of People together someday in the Future who want to raid One or several Nodes with HUNDREDS of Verra-Goblins. :sunglasses:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
  • Tryol wrote: »

Nice assist, @Tryol !
    community_management.gif
  • Vaknar wrote: »
    Tryol wrote: »

Nice assist, @Tryol !

Can you please clarify if that means no Oceanic servers as well? Usually Oceanic servers are in Sydney - SEA servers are in Singapore.
  • NikbisNikbis Member
    TopWombat wrote: »
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Tryol wrote: »

Nice assist, @Tryol !

Can you please clarify if that means no Oceanic servers as well? Usually Oceanic servers are in Sydney - SEA servers are in Singapore.

If no emergent tech comes to the rescue and unite us all, you will get your oversea servers, as expected, don't worry ;)
    If I had to keep only one song, it would be this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2pson54s
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    if You are aware about Monster Coin Raids - > we might be able to get a l~OOOOOOOOOT of People together someday in the Future who want to raid One or several Nodes with HUNDREDS of Verra-Goblins. :sunglasses:

I saw this and thought this could taken wrong by someone who hasn't looked at Intrepid's plans for monster coins. While it is true that there may be "lots" of goblins raiding a node as part of an event, coordinating or choosing a specific node, trying to form "groups" of people you know, and many other factors that would give the appearance of advantage or P2W are not under their current system. As always, consult the wiki.

"One important thing to note about events in general is notifications are sent to the players. Players can opt into these events in a similar way that you would into a quest. You're going to be presented with a 'would you like to participate' but they might not always be that way. You might hear trees falling in the forest and that may be an audio cue to tell you something's happening over there. It's out of the ordinary. This is not normally an audio cue that I hear in this area and i'm gonna go investigate that thing. So it might not just be always that UI window represented with a 'participate or not' but I'm going to go investigate and in that sense it could be stage driven. So you might have the more local stage where it is just the visual or audio cues and you get to go participate in that stage; and then when it advances, or if you don't answer the problem in time, then it starts to expand regionally and then it might send out particular notifications to either citizens of the node from which it falls under its purview or even broader than that. It could be global driven events and then it could have things that are are visual cues that are really big like a giant blizzard that's affecting the zone, because the event hasn't been addressed; and that can affect the crop rotations or it can affect passages and roads and how caravans move. There's a lot that the predicate system informs to the event system and then the event system reacts to those types of predicates.[29] – Steven Sharif"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Monster_coins
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
    TopWombat wrote: »

And here i was - again,

being the Idiot i am sometimes - " again ",

confusing/thinking of Servers of Ashes for " Ocean Regions " in Ashes of Creation. :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
  • Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 23
    I backed the game primarily on the fact OCE servers were in the Kickstarter brief.
    I do not want to play a PVX MMO with any ping over 100 let alone my typical 200ish ping on most other MMOs without OCE servers.

During Alpha 1 I can say that the ping/latency was noticeably bad (playing from Australia) and I did not play for very long due to this...
  • If SEA servers include OCE servers and they won’t be available until full launch… That’s incredibly dissapointing
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If SEA servers include OCE servers and they won’t be available until full launch… That’s incredibly dissapointing

Why?

It isn't as if we are supposed to betrying to "play" during alpha or beta. We are there to test, if your latency is higher during testing, that gives you the opportunity to test how things work with a higher latency than others, which is valuable testing.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    If SEA servers include OCE servers and they won’t be available until full launch… That’s incredibly dissapointing

Why?

It isn't as if we are supposed to betrying to "play" during alpha or beta. We are there to test, if your latency is higher during testing, that gives you the opportunity to test how things work with a higher latency than others, which is valuable testing.

The logic behind this isn’t very intelligent. I think condemning entire regions to just latency test would be a massive waste of potential use for these regions. I think your comment is just cope tbh lol.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 11
    Noaani wrote: »

Why?

The logic behind this isn’t very intelligent. I think condemning entire regions to just latency test would be a massive waste of potential use for these regions. I think your comment is just cope tbh lol.

If they were doing it on purpose - if they were saying "fuck you Australia, you can test low latency play" - I would agree.

However, with the cost of server capacity in Australia, there is no way in hell I'd be running a test server there. Since Intrepid can also see how many people from the region have alpha 2 access, I think it is safe to assume they also know how comparatively empty that alpha server would be.

A region of people testing low latency gameplay is far more useful than paying for an empty server and hoping to get valuable testing down on it. A population of less than 1k on a server designed for 10k concurrent players isn't an overly valuable testing space - and definitely isn't worth the hosting cost.

Keep in mind also, with the population size of Ashes servers, it is unlikely Oceania as a whole will even have the population to sustain a live server for more than 18 months. With the idea being 50k players calling each server home, only WoW has ever had the population in that region to support the population Intrepid is aiming for - no other MMO would have been able to sustain the population needed for a single server in that region.
  • New world has an OCE server
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png