YSK: Intel 13th and 14th gen CPUs have a lot of crashing problems, especially with Unreal Engine

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited August 12 in General Discussion
Update: There is new microcode out for Intel CPUs. Upgrade your BIOS with the 0x129 microcode or later to stop your CPU from degrading and permanently be damaged. Make sure Intel Default Settings are enabled after the BIOS upgrade.

So if you plan on buying a new system for A2, you might want to go with AMD or at least wait until more news and a possible fix arrives. Apparently, it isn't just aggressive Intel motherboard settings that are the culprit, which is what was first reported a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAE4NWoyMZk

You won't go wrong with the AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU for sure, but if you are budget-minded and you can wait a few weeks, look at the reviews for the new Ryzen 9000 CPUs launching this month. Like the 9600X which is likely around US$295. The 9000X3D chips might come later this year, but there is no confirmation or any dates.

The extra crashes occur on game servers running those Intel CPUs as well, so perhaps something to be aware of for the game servers you rent @Vaknar. Or at least have the team look into it, so we don't get server crashes in A2 that are hardware based, while thinking it might be a coding issue. :smile:

I should add, it's not just about crashes, one game developer even stated they had to go back and unban some people based on this, because their game client state was inconsistent enough with the server state that they got banned for cheating, even though it was a CPU issue.

Comments

• TorsteinTorstein Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Good to know! Been considering upgrading from my 5900x rtx 3080 when the new graphic cards release.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 15
    NekoGaki wrote: »

It looks like the Intel CPUs are actually degrading over time. Limiting the power was thought to be enough at first, but it is unfortunately becoming more and more apparent that they still degrade, even if it happens slower. Which really sucks for people with these chips. :disappointed: There might not really be an actual fix.

I just listened to Buildzoid doing one of his "rants" on the subject and it looks a little bleak/serious. Intel need to own up to this. And definitely don't get an Intel 13th or 14th gen CPU for a new system until we know more.
  • You guys may be able to temp fix this issue by avoiding the default boost clocks on the i9 chips.

By default the boost algo on i9 chips is boosting 2 cores to maximum, set all core OC to avoid those two cores being fed too much default voltage and failing to transfer the heat due to the lack of direct die cooling/a full water-cooling setup.

Intel and AMD are in a CPU benchmark meta and Hardware enthusiasts using single and dual core benchmarking programs are the target they want to please. Shipping an aggressive algo on their top end chips so they can top the benchmark charts with their flagship products for marketing purposes - all at the cost of chip degradation.

People using auto overlclock option like ASUS AI Suite are reporting degradation after 6 months of default boosting.

Set an all core profile and increase your vcore by +0.05mv. (increased voltage to counter degradation that has already occured). I have my 13900k locked at 5.5 All core, 8000Mhz 40-48-48-48 with z790i edge. Hope it helps someone, I'll do more testing when live!
  • ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    looks like i dodged a bullet, asus board with an i9, 12th gen though. both ark and the UE5 ark remake don't give me any issues. also the UE5 editor doesn't give me an issues either unless I do something stupid cause I don't know how to use the thing
  • LaetitianLaetitian Member
    edited July 16
    You won't go wrong with the AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU for sure, but if you are budget-minded and you can wait a few weeks, look at the reviews for the new Ryzen 9000 CPUs launching this month.
    Why is your recommendation for Ryzen between Gen 7 and 9? Gen 8 looks like a nice sweet spot to me, especially once the prices of the matching motherboards will finally adjust in price.

I'm probably an idiot, and this just isn't an option for server hardware.
    The only one who can validate you for all the posts you didn't write is you.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Interesting topic! Good looking out for the community and Intrepid, @Nerror <3

Hopefully there are swift solutions to these issues!

Personally, I have a couple of years left out of my main gaming rig. How about all of you? Looking to upgrade soon?
    community_management.gif
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ugh, I just bought this a month ago.... Corsair Vengeance i7500 Series Gaming PC - Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9 14900KF CPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPU - 64GB Vengeance RGB DDR5 Memory - 2TB M.2 SSD - Black . Am I doomed? I did get the service plan at least lol.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
    Ravicus wrote: »
    Ugh, I just bought this a month ago.... Corsair Vengeance i7500 Series Gaming PC - Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9 14900KF CPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPU - 64GB Vengeance RGB DDR5 Memory - 2TB M.2 SSD - Black . Am I doomed? I did get the service plan at least lol.

Hopefully not! But look into the power limit thing. It's not all the Intel CPUs that are affected it looks like, so let's hope yours is ok.
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nerror wrote: »
    Ravicus wrote: »

Hopefully not! But look into the power limit thing. It's not all the Intel CPUs that are affected it looks like, so let's hope yours is ok.

Thank you.
    5pc7z05ap5uc.png
    edited July 17
    Laetitian wrote: »
    You won't go wrong with the AMD Ryzen 7800X3D CPU for sure, but if you are budget-minded and you can wait a few weeks, look at the reviews for the new Ryzen 9000 CPUs launching this month.
    Why is your recommendation for Ryzen between Gen 7 and 9? Gen 8 looks like a nice sweet spot to me, especially once the prices of the matching motherboards will finally adjust in price.

I'm probably an idiot, and this just isn't an option for server hardware.

It's is a bit confusing with the naming :) The Ryzen 8000 series are APUs, so they have a built in GPU. It's a different type of chip and the performance for gaming is worse than the 7000 series. It's not really so much about server hardware.

I suggested the 9000 series because it launches July 31st, but it is really only for the budget option I think it's a good idea, for those that absolutely need a new system now. Until something like the 9800X3D launches, I think the 7800X3D might even beat the all the regular 9000 series CPUs for gaming.
  • It's is a bit confusing with the naming :) The Ryzen 8000 series are APUs, so they have a built in GPU. It's a different type of chip and the performance for gaming is worse than the 7000 series. It's not really so much about server hardware.

Oh, interesting, I was sure Gen 7000 and 8000 were different generations with different requirements.

I generally agree with going with new stuff if the price is reasonable, because you get longer resale value and tech support, but 7000 & 8000 still seem pretty new to me, and like they'll be in the perfect sweet spot for Ashes' arrival.
    Is $300 for an upper midrange CPU really "budget-minded" just because of 1 generation jump?
    The only one who can validate you for all the posts you didn't write is you.
    Laetitian wrote: »
    Oh, interesting, I was sure Gen 7000 and 8000 were different generations with different requirements.

I generally agree with going with new stuff if the price is reasonable, because you get longer resale value and tech support, but 7000 & 8000 still seem pretty new to me, and like they'll be in the perfect sweet spot for Ashes' arrival.
    Is $300 for an upper midrange CPU really "budget-minded" just because of 1 generation jump?

I don't really want the focus to be on very specific buying recommendations here, but whether or not $300 is budget-minded is of course a personal matter and relative. :smile: I just meant it as more budget minded than getting the 7800X3D. If you can find a good deal on a 7600X it'll play Ashes, and it's the cheapest entry-point CPU for the AM5 platform.

The main point of the thread is still about the Intel 13th and 14th gen issues, both client and server side. Intel Xeons don't seem to have the problem, nor do the 12th gens.
    Gamers Nexus put out an update on this issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTeubeCIwRw

There are no fixes yet, and one of the leads they have is that it's a fabrication level defect causing oxidation in the CPU. It's not a power limit issue. It might also be something else, or a combination of several issues. Their main take-away is that they can't recommend buying these Intel CPUs at the moment.

Some suggested workarounds that might help are limiting the core multiplier to 53x, and also running the DDR5 RAM at 4800 speed, disabling XMP. Some of the issues that the users see are memory crashes, for example. But again, these possible workarounds are not fixes.

Rumor is Intel is working on releasing new microcode that might help alleviate the issues, but if it turns out to be a fabrication level defect, it'll mostly just be a bandaid. This is still very much a "time will tell" kinda thing.
    edited July 23
    Potentially good news! B) Intel is claiming that it is a fixable issue with new microcode for most of the CPUs. The root cause fix won't be there until mid august sometime, but in the meantime, you might be able to mitigate any further damage to your Intel CPU by checking for any recent BIOS updates for your motherboard that also includes a microcode update. Again, not a final fix yet, but important!

Intel claims the fabrication defect was only present on early batches of the 13th gen processors and that it has since been fixed.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/July-2024-Update-on-Instability-Reports-on-Intel-Core-13th-and/m-p/1617113#M74792
    Based on extensive analysis of Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors returned to us due to instability issues, we have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. Our analysis of returned processors confirms that the elevated operating voltage is stemming from a microcode algorithm resulting in incorrect voltage requests to the processor.

Intel is delivering a microcode patch which addresses the root cause of exposure to elevated voltages. We are continuing validation to ensure that scenarios of instability reported to Intel regarding its Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors are addressed. Intel is currently targeting mid-August for patch release to partners following full validation.

Intel is committed to making this right with our customers, and we continue asking any customers currently experiencing instability issues on their Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance.
    Short answer: We can confirm there was a via Oxidation manufacturing issue (addressed back in 2023) but it is not related to the instability issue.

Long answer: We can confirm that the via Oxidation manufacturing issue affected some early Intel Core 13th Gen desktop processors. However, the issue was root caused and addressed with manufacturing improvements and screens in 2023. We have also looked at it from the instability reports on Intel Core 13th Gen desktop processors and the analysis to-date has determined that only a small number of instability reports can be connected to the manufacturing issue.

For the Instability issue, we are delivering a microcode patch which addresses exposure to elevated voltages which is a key element of the Instability issue. We are currently validating the microcode patch to ensure the instability issues for 13th/14th Gen are addressed.
  • Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Intel RaptorLake CPUs are showing a 100% failure rate with some game developers and persisting with over 60% of all crash reports. If you have built a system recently using Intels 13th/14th gen I would actually advise returning it.

I would love Intrepid to hire Wendel fro LV1Techs to do an overlook and advise on their planned server infrastructure.

The last Intel CPU i had was Skylake 6700k during Intels persistent 4 core death grip on the market over the decade.

AMD's AM4 socket and multiple CPU upgrades has been fantastic, If you have an AM4 with a zen1, zen2 then slapping in a 5700x3d will do wonders on gaming. Without burning a hole in your wallet or requiring a 360fan liquid cooler and huge power supply to run.

If you are about to build a new PC then AM5 would be a better investment as the socket platform has been green lit support past 2027+. AM4 is on its last legs at this point and will not save you much money unless you going very low budget...

The 7600X is not the cheapest point of entry on AM5. there is the 7600 non X and also the 7500F.

I just ordered a 7500F from ali xpress for less than then $200AUD ($120USD) shipped which is significantly cheaper than the 5700x3d and 7600/X while offering similar performance...

All these CPUs are capable of running up to a 4070Super or 7800XT without bottle necking...

If Intrepid has any Intel Raptor Lake running the show then they may want to take immediate action before things start failing...

• Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'll Just add that if you are using an Intel 12th Gen or lower then you should be fine and probably dodged a silicon degradation bullet.
    edited August 2
    Just a quick update:

First of all, reminder to immediately update to the latest BIOS on your motherboard. It may help slow or stop permanent damage to the CPU, as well as improve stability in Ashes, but it's not a final fix yet. Look up youtube guides on how to do it. It's important.

Intel says it first discovered the oxidation issue, which it characterizes as "minor," in 2022. The company says it instituted fixes and enhanced screening in early 2023 and removed all impacted chips from its supply chain by early 2024. However, it does concede that some chips with Via Oxidation defects could have still been on retail shelves as recently as early 2024.

While the 14th gen chips might not have the oxidation issue, they can still permantly degrade due to voltage issues, so again, BIOS update folks, and stay tuned for a more permanent fix.

Intel has extended the warranty on their 13th and 14th gen CPUs by 2 extra years.

There is a class action lawsuit against Intel, and you can sign up here: https://abingtonlaw.com/class-action/consumer-protection/Intel-Processor-Issues-class-action-lawsuit.html

Since it's not just Intel, but also the motherboard manufacturers that are at fault, updating the BIOS might not be enough by itself, you might have to change a setting or two in BIOS after. Jay goes over the process here for BIOS update and settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3EW5lRIZYc
  • I have a 14th gen i7, no problem with crashes, what I noticed is just that it increases temps a lot, so you need high quality cooling.
    3hmamy1ekfqy.gif
  • Dr3amerADr3amerA Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »

Personally, I have a couple of years left out of my main gaming rig. How about all of you? Looking to upgrade soon?

I'm ok for A2 but i will need major upgrades in the future and i was hoping to be able to keep them off until AoC release. I'm starting to think i will need them sooner
  • Ravicus wrote: »

Current plan is to run this rig until AOC has an official launch date, then right before sell this puppy off and upgrade to the newest hardware, wanna enjoy all that work you guys are putting in after all ;)
    edited August 10
    Intel has released microcode they claim will fix the issue, btw. Check your motherboard vendors folks.

If you're unsure what motherboard you have, and you've bought a finished system and it's under warranty, you can probably contact your system integrator for help.

Or you can always download CPU-Z (classic version is fine) and check under the "Mainboard" tab to see which motherboard you have. Then google BIOS for that board and look for the most recent BIOS that has the 0x129 microcode update. It might be a beta-version of the BIOS.

However, if your CPU has already become unstable and your system crashes a lot, you unfortunately need to RMA it. The new microcode probably can't fix that.
  • rolloxrollox Member
    Thanks Nerror. Waiting with baited breath for MSI to release update for mine. So far they put a few out there for their high end enthusiast/OC boards. But not yet for mine. Z790-p... Luckily I have not yet had any issues, but it's been a long month where I have used my PC very limited amounts of time. It's a new build from ABS with a 14700KF. No way to tell date of manufacture on the CPU but I think it's pretty safe that it was late last year, early this year after the oxidation issues where resolved.

Do you know or have any insight into the tool Intel has announced. That will be able to determine the amount of damage done to a processor that otherwise seems to function normally? It sounds like they will not RMA these until they actually fail within the warranty period.

Anyhow, I would have to go through ABS in the worse case scenario. Just sitting and waiting now, not playing gam s or anything more than some browsing, news, and discussion sites. Let's hope these updates get coming quick

rollox wrote: »
    Do you know or have any insight into the tool Intel has announced. That will be able to determine the amount of damage done to a processor that otherwise seems to function normally? It sounds like they will not RMA these until they actually fail within the warranty period.

No I haven't even heard about this tool. Any link to the announcement?

• rolloxrollox Member
    edited August 10
    I really believes I read that somewhere yesterday. But it looks like in my history all I can find is a link to this Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/1edhm93/raptor_lake_degradation_issue_rpldie_faq_10/

The writer even says that is speculation "Sources: primarily Intel statements, but with a lot of reading between the lines"

Still looking for that article that I saw it. Sorry for the speculation on this. It possibly was deep into a support forum where I may have remembered reading that. So not actually confirmed
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Have never crashed on my 14th Intel Chip touch wood, though, power consumption and heat goes through the roof. It is only viable due to my custom loops.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Very important detail: If you don't have the Intel Default Settings turned on with the latest 0x129 microcode, the voltage settings aren't correctly limited. So, make sure they are turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOvJAHhQKZg
  • AikaAika Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vaknar wrote: »

I just upgraded last month now that A2 is soon, that was what I was waiting for
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    AMD for the last two gen CPUs. Still sticking with green for GPUs this gen. Always playing one gen behind to save money and let everyone figure out what's meta. Looks like team blue is going to lose more market share this time around again.