List of reasons to allow Shadow computers

2»

Comments

• I will buy one I pay in 12 equal payments. Thanks everyone!

There you go. Instead of renting a virtual machine and paying monthly for CPU. Just pay monthly for your own PC.

And I will tell you, maybe you think it is great here in U.S. but I have a issue with that. Was looking to buy a pre fab cabin kit from a company in Canada. The exchange rate to US made it a very good looking price. So if I could, I would do it and help your economy and fabricators. But then I found there is a 35% tariff to bring building materials into US.

Oh well ☹️. Anyways, go by a computer on monthly installments instead of renting a CPU and pay for clock cycles.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Zehlan wrote: »
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Im am happy to build my PC and I love building PCs. The OP here is saying PCs are expensive for him and there is many places in the world its even harder. $1000 PC at $15 a month for a shadow computer is 66 months of renting a shadow computer. How many upgrades will you make if you own a PC over 66 months? Again thats a 1k PC without taking into account taxes. So it would be more then 66 months.

I am guessing you have never been poor or broke lol. For starters with the 500 dollar computer it's pretty simple most companies will sell their older computers in lots at auction and used computer stores buy them. So you can go get an old 6th to 10th gen intel i5 to i7 for example for 200 to 300 bucks it will come with windows and be fully working. Buy a decent graphics card used or new you can get a rtx 2070 for a 200 off market place. So 500 bucks your playin Ashes on decent settings!

Oh and what shit province do u live in that has 18% tax?

You would assume wrong. I was even homeless at one point in my life =-) $500 bucks Canadian will not get you a computer you can game on. Unless you want to play games like WoW that will run on a video card that only has 128-256MB. Minimum requirements for Ashes is a NVIDIA GTX 1070 that alone is sitting at about $250 before the 18% tax I pay in my Province.

Personally I dont get the hate here. For some, spending 1k on a PC would be a big deal. If Shadow PCs can get us more players and it does not comprise the games security. I say let them do so.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, people got a bit derailed on the whole "you poor sucka!" part. Doubt you will get Intrepid to authorize any VM machines to run their product. While people can claim only the best intentions, in many cases they are used by those who cheat to avoid soft and hardware bans. And there are other security issues. While this response from their own developers is two years old. I did find it telling that it was basically, "Yeah, sucks to be you, but we gonna try to do better later." 9fquz0vk86ag.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • JeanPhilippeGungharJeanPhilippeGunghar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 6
    Yeah, people got a bit derailed on the whole "you poor sucka!" part. Doubt you will get Intrepid to authorize any VM machines to run their product. While people can claim only the best intentions, in many cases they are used by those who cheat to avoid soft and hardware bans. And there are other security issues. While this response from their own developers is two years old. I did find it telling that it was basically, "Yeah, sucks to be you, but we gonna try to do better later." 9fquz0vk86ag.png

Anyway, I think I have found a solution. I will wait close to launch or until anti-cheat lets me out of the game. Probably around betas. Do you think I will be safe for A2 until betas? I mean, Aryelle could log in A1 with a Shadow.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited September 6

Anyway, I think I have found a solution. I will wait close to launch or until anti-cheat lets me out of the game. Probably around betas. Do you think I will be safe for A2 until betas? I mean, Aryelle could log in A1 with a Shadow.

Thats 100% up to IS. I dont think it should be done if there is security risks. If IS thinks it can be done without security risks, 100% should. I do like the argument that people with lesser income should have access. In your favor IS will be selling the sub fee at a much lower rate for people in countries this is the case but they will be locked to their local area. So IS is mindful of this already.
  • So some people would rather pay $50 monthly for a cloud based gaming solution which surely introduces more latency and input delay, then save $50 every month towards their own gaming PC they can replace every 3.5-4 years? Interesting.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 7
    My country is in a similar situation money wise and I'm also on a pension so i feel the squeeze.

I just said screw it and I'm buying over time. If you're willing to build you can take advantage of the sales through the year.

I've got a rapidly growing pile of parts, I've picked up a 7950x3d, 96gb G.skill ddr5 cl32 ram, 2 and 4 terabyte samsung 990 ssds and a Lian Li Galahad 2 trinity S-inf 360mm cooler so far.

So im about half way done, the other good thing is when I get to the final part (graphics card) I'm hoping the new stock will drive the price down a little ($1900 for a 4080S or $2900 for a 4090 is just bonkers to me at this late stage of their cycle.)
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just rebuilt my computer this year. Spent just over $1000. Just look for the sales and get the parts, then upgrade. Upgraded to DDR5, i7, NVMe SSD's.
    https://www.newegg.ca/ is your friend.
  • Hinotori wrote: »
    My country is in a similar situation money wise and I'm also on a pension so i feel the squeeze.

u mean u squeezed ur simp army on twitch?

no hate <3
  • JeanPhilippeGungharJeanPhilippeGunghar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Now, I wonder if I'm better to wait betas or buy it asap. If my bank accepts to loan me the money and I pay in 12 payments. I may try to find something less expansive (maybe 1000 or 1100 CAD, before taxes) to refund it faster. You guys know, interest (not sure how it's called in english. The amount that's add if you don't pay your credit card entierely)