Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Open world dungeons and my concern with them

Honestly the only real concern i have about open world dungeons is that large guilds can camp the dungeon and bar off all other players from the dungeon itself.

Comments

• Can't you apply that reason to everything in this game? Oh what if a really large guild just camps a node, or farming spot, or caravans or sieges every castle?! They also said dungeons were going to be so big that they could encompass multiple parties with different routes throughout the dungeon. Now if you're worried that 2-3 groups of the same guild takes over, well yeah. That'll definitely happen with raids and such. You either put together your own force or you leave and go some place else. 
  • Yes, the best dungeons will probably be camped by large/strong groups of organized players, aka guilds, but with the size of the world, there should be less popular dungeons that smaller, less competitive groups can farm stuff. It also might just be the case that you need to go after other content if you don't want to try to compete with them.
  • If they  are camping a dungeon  then they are less likely protecting something else. Also you can camp the entrance to an instance.

The thing is the conflict creates player interaction. The alternative is a solo esk click tab to teleport system. 

Interaction builds communities and player driven content.

Streamlined single player systems make for a weak/poor MMO with little to no world exploration or interaction.

• I'm not too worried. They said dungeons are huge (so maybe multiple entry points?), and my experience of guilds camping things 24/7 for long periods of time is they get tired of it. Players want to play not be on guard duty.

If they're camping in the sense of clearing all the content before others can get to it...maybe dungeons might be too big for that.
  • I think that there are two problems here. 1. Zerg. The massive guild that everyone joins and it can literally crush the entire server at the whims of the leaders, and 2. This is designed and intended gameplay.

So 1 is a problem that is officially being worked on. 2. Is the fact that this is intended design in some aspects. If you have a guild cutting off access to content...that in and of itself is social player-political content. Its not quite ideal to have it be possible to do that, if it is at all...but if it is that's the design of the game and part of social MMO interaction is having people you consider to be bad guys and fight them and have conflict.
  • Any large group of organised people can cause the rest of the server problems.  However organising a zerg takes a lot of effort.  People in guilds like this tend to be the type that just want an easy ride. Get a couple of spies in the zerg guild find out the plan, organise an anti Zerg alliance/zerg and make it difficult. I guarantee the zerg will melt away as soon as it is no longer a cake walk.  The problem is people have a tendency to just think there is no point in trying to supplant a zerg and this would be true if the the zerg consists of more than half the server population, any number lower gives you the chance to be part of the bigger force it just needs organising. 

Realistically tho. Intrepid have said numerous times that they want to make zerging as hard as possible.  Being a fan of small more personal guilds I am happy to hear this.  I have never enjoyed being part of a big guild where nobody knows your name.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    Sorry I am new, and I just fond the game recently. But my understanding is that... The best dungeon(s) are made by the best guilds/nodes anyways. And they are more likely going to be protecting it from wouldbe looters. Err, well that is my understanding. Hopefully my understand isn't wrong?

The game seems to be that the level of the dungeon, or rare monsters. Are based off the hard work put into the node itself. Or the closest node near it. Making bigger (higher leveled) guilds more of a target. As they will be at a higher leveled node. That they most likely leveled. I feel like the game will more or less be focused on protecting the effort you have put into a node than your usual MMO dungeon delving.

To be honest I am more worried about how questing will go in the game. I kind of feel like the game is just going to start out as a free for all. And people just run to nodes, and start stuff. And sense you need 5 people to even make a guild, and stuff. I am worried progress won't be all that strait forward, and many people are going to be asking "what am I suppose to do?". Well at least until some nodes do get developed.

I feel this game is entirely focused on organizations. And guilds will be fundamental to how the game works. Making socializing mandatory. But than again maybe I am just reading to much into it. But if I'm right this won't be a traditional MMO. So I wouldn't base my worries off of previous games you may have played.

Though to directly answer your point. I feel like all guilds will be trying to control a node, castle, dungeon, etc. And that controlling access will be core to this game. Weather it's intended or not.
  • going to a bless online dungeon camping gank fest all over again lol
  • They can't camp them all and what could be so valuable in one dungeon that a 300 member guild would undergo a logistical nightmare to even try to keep everyone else out.
  • Never been said that open world dungeons are pvp zones like caravans. Any guild camping an entrance and killing people is going to have to deal with the corruption hits. Since group, party, guild, and alliance members can't flag on each other they won't be able to burn the corruption off easily unless they all want to drop affiliations. Telling people to guard an entrance and take a hit to exp death penalties will balance out fairly quickly with the bounty hunters hanging out waiting for someone to turn red. Also, would need to be a guild that is active in that area. Any place that has content worth guarding would have been a developed node, and the populace of that node will outnumber that particular guild. There are just so many variables to it that you may see some attempt it once or twice, but it isn't going to be an ongoing concern. And if it becomes one, they can always adjust the penalties. Since dungeons are being balanced for 8 person groups, people aren't going to be rolling up on them solo in any case.
  • This could be applied to almost any game, I really doubt this will happen on a large scale and if it does well those guys doing the killing are walking money bags.
  • Anarchy Online Had public dungeons and they Were not really a problem. And in AO the group that did the most damage got to loot the boss so there was plenty of incentive to camp a spawn. They took care of this by making all Drops from public dungeons BoP and unique so you could only have one of said item.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    No point in camping dungeons since the content is dynamic rather than static.

Primary reason to go to dungeons is because you home Node has created one in response to specific Node conditions. So, it's mostly going to be citizens of a Node adventuring in the dungeons in order to complete specific objectives rather than RL guilds camping static dungeons that respawn.
  • Completely forgot about the corruption system or w/e they call it.
  • This could be applied to almost any game, I really doubt this will happen on a large scale and if it does well those guys doing the killing are walking money bags.
    The best thing is,   Ashes of Creation is not just any game!
    The best thing is,   Ashes of Creation is not just any game!
    I really dont want to go back and say something intelligent like 'This could be applied to almost any game including Ashes of Creation'
  • I want to block a major bridge over a gaping canyon.

"None shall pass."

But seriously, after a couple of hours you get  bored and move on to do other stuff......
  • Evermourn said:
    Honestly the only real concern i have about open world dungeons is that large guilds can camp the dungeon and bar off all other players from the dungeon itself.
    Option 1. Face the challenge head on.
    Option 2. Be smart and work around the challenge. Obstacles can be avoided. One persons complication can be turned into anothers opportunity.
  • This is what makes pvp great. I know old school mmorpg dungeons you had people set up a "camp" and you'd go into the dungeon and do the camp check. Now if you want something you can fight over it if you want. 
  • If my exploration is limited by other fools in game thinking they own it, or if I'm hindered in any way on a pve server, I will probably leave the game.
    People are there to help me kill things I cant solo and trade with me.
    If they can block dungeons or explorable parts of the game, the devs will remove that after a lot of complaints.
  • If my exploration is limited by other fools in game thinking they own it, or if I'm hindered in any way on a pve server, I will probably leave the game.
    If they can block dungeons or explorable parts of the game, the devs will remove that after a lot of complaints.
    There are no PvE or PvP servers.  All servers will be PvX.
    None of what you said is indicative of what this game is trying to do haha.
  • Evermourn said:
    I guess you can always hire a group of rogues or assassins and I mean LITERALLY WHOLE party or two of assassins and let them have fun against the guild that camps at the dungeon entrance while you slip through lol. I would have found it funny myself. hire such players just to get into the dungeon plus if they would love pvp I think they wont mind trying it out. Lol
  • I am sure with open world dungeons there are going to be those groups of players who want to kill others and camp, that is part of a PvX game. Halting the progression of your enemies is part of the game too. 
    Even with a dynamic system they won't change every minute or day so there will still be the opportunity and reason to bring PvP to said dungeons. As for camping it allllll day and night, personally that might hit to the point of griefing which the devs are against.So who knows what they may implement or say regarding that situation.