Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gliding mounts!

Comments

• wasikoveewasikovee Member
    edited April 2019
    Damokles wrote: »
    I'd love to see like... an eastern kind of dragon(The ones without huge wings and look more serpent like)...! definitely not to the scale the flying mounts would be..!

The word you seek is a lindwurm! :D
    lindwurm_sm_by_bryansyme-d9f0yue.jpg
    latest?cb=20160306204554&path-prefix=de

Eastern mythology doent really fit into AoCs medieval theme in my opinion. ;D

I think it will fit to certain race that has east asian influence.
    wasikovee
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    wasikovee wrote: »
    I'd love to see like... an eastern kind of dragon(The ones without huge wings and look more serpent like)...! definitely not to the scale the flying mounts would be..!

The word you seek is a lindwurm! :D
    lindwurm_sm_by_bryansyme-d9f0yue.jpg
    latest?cb=20160306204554&path-prefix=de

Eastern mythology doent really fit into AoCs medieval theme in my opinion. ;D

I think it will fit to certain race that has east asian influence.

Exactly~! It'll fit somewhere c:
    Poko.png
  • timbatimba Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes a chinese dragon, and all guild members can sit in a row? More guild members = longer dragon :DDD
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wonder if gliding mounts can glide over water
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

I would assume so. I just want to glide down hills with the BoW gliding mount until I can breed a cooler one.
    signature.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2019

Dont think so to be honest... Would be pretty OP if they could ;D I mean.... What would we need boats for in that case? :D
    I just hope, that they wont have a stamina bar to glide, it would ruin it very hard for me xD. I want to try and make a gliding record: find THE highest mountain and glide down form its highest reachable peak. Will most likely need a class with catfall but what are alts for, am i right? :D
    a6XEiIf.gif

Dont think so to be honest... Would be pretty OP if they could ;D I mean.... What would we need boats for in that case? :D
    I just hope, that they wont have a stamina bar to glide, it would ruin it very hard for me xD. I want to try and make a gliding record: find THE highest mountain and glide down form its highest reachable peak. Will most likely need a class with catfall but what are alts for, am i right? :D

I thought so but It could be interesting
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mounts aside, I think it would be nice to have personal gliders or wing suits.
    k2U15J3.png
    arzosah wrote: »
    Mounts aside, I think it would be nice to have personal gliders or wing suits.

guild wars 2 did that really will
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter

They probably won’t but if they did... make it use stamina so there is a limit to how far it could go. If it runs out while hovering at deep water, it drowns and you have to swim back (or you drown too).
    If we ever did get gliders, then they should have something like stamina, or should not be able to hold the same height as gliding mounts, because... what would we need gliding mounts for then?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If we ever did get gliders, then they should have something like stamina, or should not be able to hold the same height as gliding mounts, because... what would we need gliding mounts for then?

No gliding should be infinite, that would just be flying. I don't necessarily think gliding mounts should be any better than a personal glider though. Regardless I don't think stamina is the solution, the higher you start the further you should be able to glide.
    k2U15J3.png
    edited April 2019
    arzosah wrote: »

No gliding should be infinite, that would just be flying. I don't necessarily think gliding mounts should be any better than a personal glider though. Regardless I don't think stamina is the solution, the higher you start the further you should be able to glide.

I did say, that gliders should not be able to hold the same height as gliding mounts, that didnt say, that gliding mounts would not loose height. I think that a good balancing in this case would be that gliders are one time use items, ideal for quick escapes/smaller distances, while mounts would be a reusable (of course) and more longterm investments and longer distances :D
    For an example, a rogue has to quickly escape from a city and manages to escape onto the city walls, his pursuers hot on his heels. Instead of wasting time to mount a gliding mount he whips out a glider and escapes. Or you have to jump over a ravine to escape.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I expect gliding to work like it does in WoW (with Demon Hunter wings and parachutes). Gliding gives you a bit of horizontal distance as you fall but not much; mostly it is a way to fall a great height without damage.

I may be wrong and there may be more to it than that, but that’s my expectation until I see otherwise.

Hhak63P.png
    Do we know it we can get group gliding mounts?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Then drop inside the middle of an enemy guild as summon an entire army inside.
  • sivannasivanna Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    If gliding mounts did use stamina it would be a nice goal for breeders to aim for a trait that reduces the cost, or one that increases the maximum resource pool. There could also be specialized flying barding/saddles to help prolong gliding. I’ve only played a few games with it (BDO’s Dream horses, and even Breath of the wild had some fun gliding mechanics, and I guess Aion). But I also understand that most people don’t favor limitations on fun stuff.
    Autumnleaf wrote: »

SGS = special gliding service
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Autumnleaf wrote: »

SGS = special gliding service

Unless you have a squad of dragons. You know that makes me want to have an NPC controlled Metropolis in the game and they are all maxed like crazy with dragon mounts and stuff, if you conquer them you get great stuff.
  • malgusmalgus Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    only gliding mount thats matters is a flying lion!4af901087599150112d2e09555daf0d6.jpg
    Malgus_Carnyx.png?ex=6589b5fa&is=657740fa&hm=6165ef5455c2f25cb0ac93e39a9f24f652e13d9c02da2b5810117d6852c591f2&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=1919&height=150
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Malgus wrote: »
    only gliding mount thats matters is a flying lion!4af901087599150112d2e09555daf0d6.jpg

He ate her ten seconds after that photo was taken.

Hhak63P.png
    when two gliding mounts meet each other in combat

AoS-soul-wars-10.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• I would be interested to see Intrepid use air vents, geysers or updrafts in select zones and terrain to allow continuous/extended flight as a part of that zone's content. It would be amazing if such a feature were do expand the game-play and role of these mounts.
    sikuba wrote: »
    I would be interested to see Intrepid use air vents, geysers or updrafts in select zones and terrain to allow continuous/extended flight as a part of that zone's content. It would be amazing if such a feature were do expand the game-play and role of these mounts.

Like guild wars 2?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im a bit confused, Flying vs Gliding. I understand what Flying is , but whats a gliding mount?
    A mount you need to walk to the top of the hill like a paraglyder or wingsuit and glide down the hillside?
    ok putting aside that huge beasts wouldnt even evolve in such a way (i get it its a game) ....but cant we just have flying mounts for the chosen few and forget all the gliding stuff. Im good with that.
  • Nagash wrote: »
    sikuba wrote: »
    I would be interested to see Intrepid use air vents, geysers or updrafts in select zones and terrain to allow continuous/extended flight as a part of that zone's content. It would be amazing if such a feature were do expand the game-play and role of these mounts.

Like guild wars 2?

Sure... Guild Wars 2 -cough-. Definitely didn't neglect that game and stop playing before level 20.. No, sir, I know exactly what you mean by that and Yes.

no_clue.jpg

• burnthefernburnthefern Member, Settler, Alpha One
    mozsta69 wrote: »
    Im a bit confused, Flying vs Gliding. I understand what Flying is , but whats a gliding mount?
    A mount you need to walk to the top of the hill like a paraglyder or wingsuit and glide down the hillside?
    ok putting aside that huge beasts wouldnt even evolve in such a way (i get it its a game) ....but cant we just have flying mounts for the chosen few and forget all the gliding stuff. Im good with that.

Pretty sure gliding mounts are already a thing at this point.

As for the thread topic, I just hope that they either don't stay up for very long, or they have limited mobility while they are gliding. I'm not exactly suggesting entirely fixed trajectories, but definitely sluggish alterations of trajectory.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    mozsta69 wrote: »

Pretty sure gliding mounts are already a thing at this point.

As for the thread topic, I just hope that they either don't stay up for very long, or they have limited mobility while they are gliding. I'm not exactly suggesting entirely fixed trajectories, but definitely sluggish alterations of trajectory.

I agree
  • grisugrisu Member
    @mozsta69 A bird can fly, but if you sit on it, I doubt it will even survive your weight. Some might be able to temporarily carry you, but it's just an analogy to understand the thought behind it better.

Gliding will be more a hovering above the ground "while riding". I see it more as a different riding animation with maybe an added bonus of gliding off a mountain. You just can't straight up fly up and stay there.

That's how I understand it at this point. It's more a different kind of riding that makes sense for the things living in Verra.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Just give me a Cockatrice and I will be happy.
    zPyDc9G.jpg