Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Potion Launcher needs to go or needs reworked

The Potion Launcher needs to have its damage cut by 70% keep damage to structures and the spell should increase the damage to what it does now and the freezing potions need to go. Having 90% of the final 2 circles just spamming the launcher is absurd and unfun. and you basically lose if you <solos> or your team dont have them/have less than the enemy. 3 short clips from 2 games i slapped together. the last 2 are back to back with about 10 seconds of gameplay cut out between them. i dont need to heal, dodge,lunge, or change weapons. Its fun to use and trolly but is really bad for the game.

"]https://youtube.com/watch?v=3OG0mJcY_Ks&amp;feature=youtu.be[/url]

Comments

• Options
    jhrzyjhrzy Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I can agree that the weapon needs a complete nerf. Too OP and should have a limited ammo capacity that cannot be reloaded.
  • Options
    if you think nothing should be done to the broken launcher u abuse it then lol
    it needs a slower fire rate like any other explosive in any other game
    longer reload like any other explosive in any other game
    and a tad less damg so it doesnt just 2 shot you lol
    IDK even know why a grenade launcher exists in a fantasy olden time based game when theirs bows and spell books, no reason to use the spell book when the potion launcher does the same thing
    10 TIMES better
  • Options
    ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A better change would be to increase the knockback. The potion launcher used to send targets flying as far as the arcane power boots, but now it doesn't budge you at all. This allows for quick back-to-back hits with the massive damage it has. With knockback increased, it'll be harder to land consecutive shots and more difficult to use point blank.
  • Options
    CambiguousCambiguous Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think this needs a slower fire rate or a damage nerf.
    https://gfycat.com/@Cambiguous
    Someone you otter know.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Agreed. Slower RoF and lower ammo cap.
  • Options
    NarysNarys Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I definitely agree that it needs to be nerfed - either in terms of rate of fire, damage or spread.
    wtmb2cxjbyas.gif
  • Options
    RumloxRumlox Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2019
    putting a side the silliness of having a grenade launcher in a fantasy setting, the potion launcher in its in its current state is game breaking.It is high damage spamable aoe. not to mention direct hits with it are the highest non head shot damage in the game. you can shoot people point blank with it and out dps and melee weapon even with the damage you do to yourself. or you can just randomly shoot in to others fighting a wipe whole squads. not to mention the ability to destroy any building in 10 secs.

It the damage stays the same it need to be a single shot before reloading or drastically slower RoF. or just a huge damage nerf. I would prefer to just get rid of it as i don't think grenade launchers fit into the game but i think steven thinks they are cool so that isn't going to happen. In its current state it would need nerfed even if it was in a game where everyone else is running around with machine guns. In a game were every one has bows and swords its game breaking
    DoneRumloxShadow.png
  • Options
    StevenSharifStevenSharif Moderator, Member, Staff, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    Will be addressing the potion launcher balance, as well as other changes with an update this week :)
  • Options
    the almighty has spoken
  • Options
    ViymirViymir Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Although I do agree the potion launcher is over powered I have very much enjoyed bouncing it like a tennis ball into peoples faces. Reminds me a little of the Demoman in TF2.
  • Options
    WololoWololo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    also the potions exploding instantly sometimes when shooting while walking foreward
    Signature-member.gif?ex=66155d75&is=6602e875&hm=3bfff7a9230240f48915fa417b4dc30b967860cdecfbbdf088f3d3b302a06bdd&
  • Options
    ilisfetilisfet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah, that "exploding in your face" bug has happened to me a few times. It has a higher likelihood when rapidly firing while running in the direction you're shooting.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    and this is why you keep guns out of high fantasy
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    and this is why you keep guns out of high fantasy

agreed
    DoneRumloxShadow.png
  • Options
    I like MMORPGs with mediaeval stuff, dragons and bla... Like the fights with swords and shields, 2h weapons, bows, even magic is absolutely fine... but fking granade launcher?!.... I hope AoC will be better balanced than this...
  • Options
    Let it be true ~ ! The nade launcher is getting addressed ! no more squads of 4 raining hell from above and showering me with grenaddess ! I think I'm a bit too optimistic but I hope it does get some drastic changes !
    Poko.png
  • Options
    its still OP lol
    DoneRumloxShadow.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    rumlox wrote: »
    its still OP lol

Yeah the max damage output for a mag is 150 which is still ridiculous
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    97349734 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I also agree, Potion Launchers are still pretty OP. Less games are decided by who (or which squad) has potion launchers, but ultimately Catfall+Potion Launcher are game-winning in just about every solos final circle. The absence of Potion Launchers in final circles doesn't really seem to be out of choice but rather scarcity.

Long boring rant ahead.
    I have desperately tried to create builds specifically designed to counter Potion Launchers but the general consensus is that the only way to counter Potion Launcher+Catfall (aside from mirroring the build) is to take high ground and put distance between you and your enemy. That's why it's so good in final circles, you can't just run away. Unless you want to carry around a Dark Pact (which still isn't great). That sorta hinders your mid-game survivability.

4v4 potion launcher wars in squads are still definitely a thing but they are slightly less oppressive. 2 Potion Launchers per squad is more common, often using that and a Grimoire to supplement the common Spiritpierce(Or Hemorrhage)/Lifebringer/Nightfall/Catfall build or multi-Archmage Companion build from the other members on the team. There are lots of other regular builds and messy loadouts mixed in to a lot of squads but NOTHING can command a battlespace better than a single Potion Launcher, let alone 2-4.

The explosion damage nerf was not very good at decreasing the ability to take space or deny space by lobbing spam-fire potions. Meteor Storm says "f*** this area in particular". Potion Launcher says "f*** this area, and this area, and this area, and your mother too!" and is ready to do it all over again just 2 seconds later. A sharper damage falloff from the center of the explosion may aid in decreasing the overall threat without making the weapon feel useless.

The impact damage nerf was not at all sufficient in decreasing the ability to defend space with incredibly low skill needed. With a similar DPS, the Nightfall requires precise aim and practice to deny charging or lunging by melee initiators. The NOPE Launcher doesn't have this finesse as the hurtbox of the potion is as fat as a log. Even if you somehow manage to miss, you're probably going to get some tickle damage onto someone.

If I get downed by someone, I want it to be because someone hit a nice shot, or they are quick as a fox, or they had a very cunning plan to bring me down, or they simply outplayed me in some way. Maybe I made a mistake. Maybe I was out of position. I don't want to think "well they have a Potion Launcher, and I don't, time to lose my 6 killstreak to someone with 1 elimination".

I don't enjoy a low skill weapon being the dominant meta. Low skill weapons, especially area control weapons, are very important to have in a game, but Potion Launchers are still too much, my dudes.

/rant
    An Esoteric Lynx!
    Discord: https://discord.gg/Axiom
    8zze0395w28i.png