Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Map!

2»

Comments

• Options
    I cant help but think the Humans have the most defensive land area and the Elves have the least. No wonder they weren't as numerous. Without a Teir 5 Scientific node on that peninsula, it will be awfully hard to defend.
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited January 2020
    Behague wrote: »
    I cant help but think the Humans have the most defensive land area and the Elves have the least. No wonder they weren't as numerous. Without a Teir 5 Scientific node on that peninsula, it will be awfully hard to defend.

You're forgetting the elves were the best mages and more magically gifted than the Aela. The Pyrian had the forests fae and their sentient trees to protect them as well. Wouldn't be hard to defend. They only lacked numbers but still managed to be the second-largest race upon Verra.
    Thus the Aela formed a short lived alliance with the elves but due to their greed, the humans betrayed them.
  • Options
    GimlogGimlog Member
    edited January 2020
    I don't really care about those stuff until I'm max lvl I'll focus on exploring lands.
    I'll be a dwarf but I don't know if I'll go for the human gate and go for those misty mountains or if I'll go for the elf gate and the snowy area or if I'll go for the dwarf one to run into dwarf story...

I'll add that forest can be cute down if needed ;)
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Gimlog wrote: »
    I don't really care about those stuff until I'm max lvl I'll focus on exploring lands.
    I'll be a dwarf but I don't know if I'll go for the human gate and go for those misty mountains or if I'll go for the elf gate and the snowy area or if I'll go for the dwarf one to run into dwarf story...

I'll add that forest can be cute down if needed ;)

You also have to think about where you want to make your citizenship. I am assuming that most players would want to start contributing to a node asap. So take into account where your guild is or most of your friends and just use that portal. You could be gimping yourself by waiting until the max level.
  • Options
    480 km^2 map , 34×24 squares =0.55 km^2 each square not that hard to know ;)
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited January 2020
    Being 34 across (horizontal) by 24 up (vertical) cubes. The video below suggests perhaps each square is 20 by 20 km? For the total Verra world at launch. Any variant out there? Best ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_C24k91Fw4

Players can choose their gateway, so it's not like everyone of race x starts at gateway y. It seems the map only indicates the 'historic' areas for races.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Starting_areas#cite_note-starting_gateway.png-3
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Of course the big argument now is if the whole 34x24 is 480 square kilometres or just the land mass is 480 square kilometres. If just the land area, the per square area goes up.
    I am hoping the land area. Then the world just got bigger!
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited January 2020
    Of course the big argument now is if the whole 34x24 is 480 square kilometres or just the land mass is 480 square kilometres. If just the land area, the per square area goes up.

From the wiki (at 10:43) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNlRMaNZzg&feature=youtu.be&t=10m43s

Steven refers to it as the "total playable area" - I guess that includes land and water if we assume all the water can be traversed.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Oh well. I was so hoping that it was just the land. Then the water would have been a bonus.
    Fine, burst my bubble. :(
  • Options
    BehagueBehague Member
    edited January 2020
    Oh well. I was so hoping that it was just the land. Then the water would have been a bonus.
    Fine, burst my bubble. :(

If you couldn't travel any further than say 1km away from land by ship, (leviathan, etc,) then the playable area may be bigger than we think. The extra grids of water would just be for maps' sake.
  • Options
    nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2020
    I thought h s
    There was another post on land mass as well, but I'll post it here too. This is only my speculation btw.
    The BR map was about 6.25 km² and it is equal to 4.5 squares. That means each square is 1.39km². There are about 340-380 squares of land mass on the map. At 345 squares the total would be around 480km². This would mean water is not part of that total.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    nibiru97 wrote: »
    I thought h s
    There was another post on land mass as well, but I'll post it here too. This is only my speculation btw.
    The BR map was about 6.25 km² and it is 4.5 squares. That means each square is 1.39km². There are about 340-380 squares of land mass on the map. At 345 squares the total would be around 480km². This would mean water is not part of that total.

This is assuming both maps and squares are on the same scale, which isn't a given.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    nibiru97 wrote: »
    I thought h s
    The BR map was about 6.25 km² and it is 4.5 squares. That means each square is 1.39km². There are about 340-380 squares of land mass on the map. At 345 squares the total would be around 480km². This would mean water is not part of that total.

This is assuming both maps and squares are on the same scale, which isn't a given.

Steven said that the BR map was equal to 4.5 squares on the mmo map. Sorry, I should have worded it different, edited it. thanks.
  • Options
    Well the map look like it has be really quickly done and I'm guessing that the square where us to respect a general scale.

Because from the numbers we have you'll got numbers with 10 decimals while making the math.

So I'll say that we shouldn't us the squares to speculate :/
  • Options
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_map#cite_note-world_size.png-8

References 8;9 - water is part of the 480km sq total.
  • Options
    Ravudha wrote: »
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_map#cite_note-world_size.png-8

References 8;9 - water is part of the 480km sq total.
    That was about a year ago he said that. I'm just going off his most recent statement. Also, that could just mean any water on the land is included, but not necessarily the ocean.

• Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited January 2020
    @nibiru97 Agreed there's room for interpretation as to whether it means water inside land or all water. I lean toward it meaning all water, thinking that they've had the world map since close to the beginning and the world/map size would not be likely to change drastically during development.
  • Options
    Yeah, if it's all water then his BR map equals 4.5 squares on the mmo map doesn't add up. I'll just assume the comment was a mistake.