Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Multi boxing is bad for the game. Period.

Fact: a multi box player is typically 3 to 5 accounts sometimes even more.

Fact: the control of all accounts takes place, player side so I'm not sure how AoC would be able to address that.

Fact: a multi boxer, can single handedly wreck the economy by flooding the market with materials that would take the typical player 5 times as long to gather, thus inflating supply and thus wrecking demand. No different than price gouging.

Fact: nothing kills immersion more than enjoying your time in game, admiring the story or the scenery, just to have some multi boxer run by with his 5 to 10 toons, causing you to shake your head and feel disgust rather than fun.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are more multiboxing threads than I have toes. Multiplication can definitely be contagious.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    GumdropsGumdrops Member, Explorer, Kickstarter
    Fact: This is not the first multi boxing thread.
    Reminder to stay on topic
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    please stop
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Hey, squeaky wheel gets the most oil fellas.
  • Options
    GboltGbolt Member
    Fact: there is no real way to prevent multiboxing.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just dont care anymore about multi-boxing
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Gbolt wrote: »

Well you can stop interactions of more than one account on the same IP address is a start.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well you can stop interactions of more than one account on the same IP address is a start.

You'll provoke the family brigades and partner brigades. Some even claim autofollow removal will damage family life.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »

You'll provoke the family brigades and partner brigades. Some even claim autofollow removal will damage family life.

True!!! You're right.
  • Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gbolt wrote: »

So to stop about 0.03% of the community multiboxing, you wanna ruin the experience of friends and families living and playing togheter?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hey, squeaky wheel gets the most oil fellas.

Untrue, good debate gets the attention.

Steven has proven that. If you want to make an actual point, engage in actual debate.

In order to facilitate debate, let's ensure that we are all using the same terms.

Botter - someone that is using any number of accounts, but is using either software or hardware to get more actions per keystroke than is designed by the game.

Multiboxer - someone that plays multiple accounts at the same time.

Multi-account holder - any player that holds more than one account, either for personal or family use.

Follow these terms for clarity, and if you have additional terms to add, ensure you clarify them before use.

Now to start the debate.

Fact: the control of all accounts takes place, player side so I'm not sure how AoC would be able to address that.

Fact: a multi boxer, can single handedly wreck the economy by flooding the market with materials that would take the typical player 5 times as long to gather, thus inflating supply and thus wrecking demand. No different than price gouging.

Fact: nothing kills immersion more than enjoying your time in game, admiring the story or the scenery, just to have some multi boxer run by with his 5 to 10 toons, causing you to shake your head and feel disgust rather than fun.
    A multiboxer can not be using 5 accounts unless they are also a botter. It is straight up impossible.

Now, WoW muddied the waters a bit here (as they have with literally everything to do with MMO's) because they decided to make up their own definition of things whereby if you were sitting at the computer that was running the account, it didn't matter what was going on, you were not considered to be botting. This was purely a financial and marketing decision (there were numbers going around before ESO came with evidence of bot numbers in WoW, and if they banned them all, WoW would have gone from their claim of the most popular MMO at the time, to third).

However, just because Blizzard decided to make up their own meaning for words, it doesn't mean they are correct.

In WoW, you could have someone running up to 40 accounts with Blizzard still calling them a multiboxer, not a botter. That person in any other game would have been banned for botting - as again, it is impossible to control 5 accounts at the same time without botting - even in a simple game like WoW.

This one point - the fact that you won't be able to control that many accounts without botting, and botting is against the EULA - essentially kills the first and third "fact" you have here. At absolute best, you need to adjust your numbers from 5 - 10, down to 2 or 3, as even most experienced multiboxers won't be able to control two accounts in Ashes, let alone three (action combat and open PvP and all).

As to your second "fact", in Ashes, this is untrue. The key to material value is location, not simply harvesting.

In order to flood the market with materials, any player - multiboxer or not - has to first get those materials to the node they want to sell them in. This opens up those materials to rick due to PvP and the caravan system.

Due to this, no one will be able to flood any market with any materials unless they also have a firm grasp on all routes coming in and going out of the node in question. Even then, all a player need to do get hold of said materials at an acceptable price is to travel over a few nodes. It would take a large guild to actually dominate the market in even two or three nodes - and the game has over 100.

In this environment, a multiboxer with either 2 or 3 accounts is at absolutely no real advantage over someone with 1 account - and if they have more than 2 or 3 accounts that they are running at the same time, they are likely botting which is opening them up to a ban on all accounts.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can verify that multiboxing is a pain. Even just running 2 computers was horrible (heck, just running was horrible - 1 character kept veering away). I wouldn't even try to run any kind of PVP while controlling 2 computers.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »

In WoW, you could have someone running up to 40 accounts with Blizzard still calling them a multiboxer, not a botter. That person in any other game would have been banned for botting - as again, it is impossible to control 5 accounts at the same time without botting - even in a simple game like WoW.

Lmao. Not just up to 40. Look up "Emerald Dream server multiboxing". Couple of years back, multiple multiboxers, with 100 and sometimes UPTO 150 accounts, were running around ruining the server by causing constant lag and crashes, in both instanced and open world pvp.

And guess what Blizzard banned them for? Ruining player experience. They didn't ban them for abusing multiboxing to the extent where you could consider it to be worse than botting itself, no, they banned them for causing "negative player experience". What a wonderful company.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020

a) 3-5 accounts; Not fact.In my own case, after playing 2-3 years with one account, I multiboxed 1 additional account for 3 years and 2 additional for 2 years. My clan typically had 10% of the players multi boxing 1 additional account and 2 other team members with 2 additional accounts. So not all. Clan had strict rule, bot or use 3rd party app you`re out.. so all hands on.

b) multi boxer, can single handedly wreck the economy; may occurr but is not necessarily reflective of all players, again in my clan`s case, none of us were playing the economy more than to get by nor were we playing to be elite just enjoy the game. multiboxing was merely so we could play as a group and have the unpopular but necessary classes in group.

Not everyone who plays or multiboxes for that matter is interested in being number 1.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »

a) 3-5 accounts; Not fact.In my own case, after playing 2-3 years with one account, I multiboxed 1 additional account for 3 years and 2 additional for 2 years. My clan typically had 10% of the players multi boxing 1 additional account and 2 other team members with 2 additional accounts. So not all. Clan had strict rule, bot or use 3rd party app you`re out.. so all hands on.

b) multi boxer, can single handedly wreck the economy; may occurr but is not necessarily reflective of all players, again in my clan`s case, none of us were playing the economy more than to get by nor were we playing to be elite just enjoy the game. multiboxing was merely so we could play as a group and have the unpopular but necessary classes in group.

Not everyone who plays or multiboxes for that matter is interested in being number 1.

Well debate over. This one guy says that he and all his friends back in the day could multbox multiple characters just fine. So lets ignore the overwhelming amount of gamers who see no way to be able to play multiple computers at the same time with any competence. Games are designed with two hands in mind. So unless you and all your friends are weird mutant people with multiple limbs ima go out on a limb (heh) and call BS.
  • Options
    There is no way to reliably track multiboxing in a way that does not create a big % of false positive cases.
    It doesn't matter if the boxer is using 1 machine, multiple physical machines, multiple virtual machines or anything else. There are ways to set up those separate instances and run a separate game client without anyone being able to detect that and do anything about it.

The only way you can reliably track something like this is if Intrepid has very serious access to their customers (that's us) computer devices, which for obvious reasons will and never should happen.

They will do as much as they can to stop the bad actors that want to ruin the game for everyone, so please stop making new threads about this every 3 hours...
  • Options
    KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    I just dont care anymore about multi-boxing

Don't worry dude if the forums are anything like reddit once we get posts that meme about posting about multi boxing we are usually close to the end of talk of multiboxing. So I suggest making a post memeing about how many people are talking about mulit boxing.