Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Darkness Falls From Dark Age of Camelot

PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I know you've taken some of the best idea's from other games and that's awesome. Not sure if Steven played this and I know like all of us he has his favorite moments from each game he has played. For me Dark Age of Camelot was an amazing game but their best feature in my opinion was A deep dark cavern that was loaded with materials and good grinding mobs and raid bosses, was the very best place to go for PvP and PvE.

Now that was a faction based game and the faction that owned the most keeps would control it. Now since there are no factions here and I'm just shooting in the dark have no idea if something like this exists already. If this cavern of awesomeness that would be exclusive to Nodes with high ranks, knowing it's importance I believe it would create even more PvP sieges so people can take what they have.

Let me know your thoughs, just a idea. Give a shout out if you loved DAoC PvP!

Comments

• Options
    This sort of thing definitely exists. There's no factions, but there are guilds and just global fighting. Any 2 more more groups could be in a dungeon at the same time and have to fight it out which is very Darkness Falls-esque.

DAoC PvP still the best pvp to this date.
  • Options
    Right on, Thanks for letting me know very excited to see this. And I must concur on DAoC PVP!
  • Options
    I cannot express my utmost gratitude for DAoC and the RvR mechanic for PvP. Ashes of Creation is the first MMO, in many, many years I have been truly excited about. In fact, I see so many good parallels in the game design and it warms my gaming heart. A co-worker recommended I look into the game and after seeing pre-alpha footage and AMA with Steven, I melted. I am so glad to see DAoC players out there are seeing some connection!
  • Options
    PlagueMonkPlagueMonk Member
    edited August 2020
    Sandman wrote: »
    I know you've taken some of the best idea's from other games and that's awesome. Not sure if Steven played this and I know like all of us he has his favorite moments from each game he has played. For me Dark Age of Camelot was an amazing game but their best feature in my opinion was A deep dark cavern that was loaded with materials and good grinding mobs and raid bosses, was the very best place to go for PvP and PvE.

Now that was a faction based game and the faction that owned the most keeps would control it. Now since there are no factions here and I'm just shooting in the dark have no idea if something like this exists already. If this cavern of awesomeness that would be exclusive to Nodes with high ranks, knowing it's importance I believe it would create even more PvP sieges so people can take what they have.

Let me know your thoughs, just a idea. Give a shout out if you loved DAoC PvP!

Haha! Seems like I sparked some old memories from chatting in previous threads :D

You know how I feel about DF. If something akin to it was added to AoC I would never leave!
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    AttarAttar Member
    edited August 2020
    I loved DAOC because there were rvr areas and there were pve areas. I could choose to level safely in a pve area, or go into a higher yield area and risk being ganked. I could pvp on my terms.
  • Options
    I actually just logged off DAoC lol. Darkness falls, labyrinth, and passage of conflict are some of my favorite spots to PVE and PVP!!!! Tho it is a RVR based game, DAoC has some beautiful dungeons that go very deep, Spindelhala being my favorite, farming for hours so I could buy my first house!!! I believe AoC will reunite a lot of retired DAoC players back into the genre. Give us that feeling again Intrepid and you will be legends!!!
  • Options
    That's pretty much what public dungeons (and other highly contested) farming grounds are going to be.
  • Options
    Ya even though it was faction based, I still believe they could incorperate something with maybe the top 5 nodes having access, would give another reason for people to go attack a city.
  • Options
    That’s actually a very cool idea, give the citizens of a metropolis access to a dungeon, that way people would have a very good motivation to either a.) become a citizen of a metropolis b.) attack said metropolis so they’re node can upgrade To metropolis. Would be cool to see 5 metropolis’s fighting inside the dungeon for the best farm spots.
  • Options
    Daedrik45 wrote: »
    That’s actually a very cool idea, give the citizens of a metropolis access to a dungeon, that way people would have a very good motivation to either a.) become a citizen of a metropolis b.) attack said metropolis so they’re node can upgrade To metropolis. Would be cool to see 5 metropolis’s fighting inside the dungeon for the best farm spots.

Metropoli will probably have enough incentives for that. I don't think adding more will be necessarily beneficial. It will just reduce the pop of every node that isn't a metropolis. Which is a bad thing.
  • Options
    Daedrik45 wrote: »

Hummmm, I have a crazier idea.......what if EACH metropolis had access to the same mega-dungeon? It would be via portal so the distance away is meaningless. That means the mega-dungeon would have 5 different but equally spread out access points. Once you enter you become a faction of your metropolis so it would be a 5 way PvP FFA!

Each faction would have to work their way down to a central area similar to DF and then journey down to the bottom where all the best and meanest spawns reside.

Yes, I know, completely insane but........
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    DAOC is definitely one of those games that did PVP right, I was a huge fan of Realm Abilities(Ignore Pain ftw).
  • Options
    5 would be super crazy lol, but you would somehow still want to encourage those who are'nt in the 5 to grab a city of their own so they could be involved and not just move to 1 of those.
  • Options
    SeloSelo Member
    RvR/Faction based PvP has been FAR superior historicly, and is still far superior imo.
    Ive played mmorpg since Meridian with both no factions and factions and the faction ones have always been better.
    Its the biggest minus for me in AoC that they went for a, imo, inferior system.
    DF was PvE, until the other realms took more keeps and opened it up. Thats a better way to do open dungeons imo rather than "always contested" dungeons that only leads to zerging and bad server communities.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I really enjoyed DAoC. It was the first MMO that I played after I quit EQ. I loved how each realm had different classes that played differently, and how they contested each other. My favorite character was a Highlander Armsman rocking a huge lucerne hammer. I also like the paper-rock-scissors with different weapon and armor types. I have very fond memories of that game, I played it right after it released.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Sandman wrote: »
    5 would be super crazy lol, but you would somehow still want to encourage those who are'nt in the 5 to grab a city of their own so they could be involved and not just move to 1 of those.

Well, that would possibly give others that are not part of a metropolis node the incentive to either move into that city or siege it to the ground so they could take over that slot.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    is there a cap on how many people can move into a metropolis? Reason I'm asking because we would want to avoid easy mode, where everyone could just move in to the big cities, therefore leaving no real reason to fight.