Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Megathread] Dual Shields and you

deadmanspricedeadmansprice Moderator, Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
Noticed the recent community craze over the dual shields, and variants on Discord. Since this is a constant topic for several days, I have created a thread so people can spam the images and discuss the matters over dual shields. Please redirect any talk about this topic to this thread.

Poll here:
http://www.strawpoll.me/20908035
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• Options
    MommieMommie Member
    edited August 2020
    I wanna be tank+tank class. Nothing would make me happier than to have 2 handed shield that gives like a bonus on strength if wielded by 2 hand, or just attacking with shield like basic attacks (shield bash). What do you guys think?
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited August 2020
    Just imagine walking around, trying to immerse yourself in the world, and seeing some guy in plate armor fighting a monster with 2 shields. Yea, so much for immersion. On the other hand, it would indeed be pretty funny to see some idiot doing a spin attack with two shields, like a bey-blade.

So to be fair, I don't have a strong opinion on this topic. It won't matter if you're wielding two shields or two swords. When I face you, that's where your journey ends.
  • Options
    I didnt mean it as dual wielding shileds, but a one huge shield that is carried with two hands :Đ
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    How about wielding a two handed concrete wall to tank for your raid group while washing the dishes ?
  • Options
    Well, one of tank skills is to a summon a wall, having another one in hands would be pretty dandy ;)
  • Options
    I don't think that unrealistically big shield where you need to wield with two hands is immersive experience.

Remember big tower shields were designed to create a big wall that would allow for spears/pikes to get between/above to kill the other side.

IMO Having only shield is breaking the immersion the same way as dual wielding big polearms
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Mommie wrote: »
    I didnt mean it as dual wielding shileds, but a one huge shield that is carried with two hands :Đ

Its kind of the same thing. The basic idea of both are the same; you don't want a weapon, you just want to wield a shield(s).
  • Options
    TwangTwang Member
    edited August 2020
    A big 2 handed rock that works like a shield .
  • Options
    afarafar Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    Mommie wrote: »

Its kind of the same thing. The basic idea of both are the same; you don't want a weapon, you just want to wield a shield(s).

Who says it would be an effective weapon? But it would be good at blocking, maybe shielding will be as action combat too? Like, block in a certain direction, block in two with two shields, block more area with one large. Catching an attack, or an arrow, can be very satisfactory
  • Options
    I'm against two-handed shields. Just seems silly to me.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Actually, a two-handed shield it a real thing. It is called a dueling shield. gvpb19tc93e31.png

Dual wielding shields, however, is ridiculous.

I would much rather see an ability for tanks that rallies shield-wielding allies to join in a shield wall.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Actually, a two-handed shield it a real thing. It is called a dueling shield. https://i.redd.it/gvpb19tc93e31.png

Dual wielding shields, however, is ridiculous.

I would much rather see an ability for tanks that rallies shield-wielding allies to join in a shield wall.

Lmao what the hell is that.
  • Options
    Actually, a two-handed shield it a real thing. It is called a dueling shield.

This is not about the question if it is possible to create such thing and try it out, but if that thing is actually usable in practice

― Plato
  • Options
    afarafar Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    main-qimg-8a3ac2f8d0a12c617199946520270942.webp
  • Options
    1226.gif
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dueling shields were used for judicial purposes to resolve legal disputes in Germany. Basically, dueling shields were for formal combat not warfare, because they are silly and inefficient. They only worked in duels because both sides were restricted to using one.

They were never used in real combat because you’d be at the mercy of someone with real weapons.

This is a fantasy MMORPG so it’s not like this sort of thing can’t be included, but it seems close to the “giant anime sword” trope that Intrepid wants to avoid.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Tragnar wrote: »
    This is not about the question if it is possible to create such thing and try it out, but if that thing is actually usable in practice

There are historical fencing treatises dedicated to the use of a dueling shield.
    https://www.freelanceacademypress.com/duelingshield.aspx
  • Options
    Tragnar wrote: »

There are historical fencing treatises dedicated to the use of a dueling shield.
    https://www.freelanceacademypress.com/duelingshield.aspx

That is the same equivalent of fake martial arts today. - No practical use and potentially dangerous for the practitioner. Doesn't mean that it stopped people from doing it.

And historical fencing treaties are literally made up games from bored rich kids. Some became a competitive sport, some remained a drunken dare.

― Plato
  • Options
    GruntagGruntag Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As Dr. Evil says...
    C2M.gif
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of two-handed tower shields, but I also don't mind them, as long as there are huge drawbacks added to wielding it. Basically make it useless in PvP and somewhat useful in PvE.

Since it will be possible to quickly swap weapons in Ashes, my fear is that dual-wielding (or more) will become meta and switching between your weapons/shield during combat will be prevalent in PvP.

I would prefer if you couldn't swap any gear while in-combat, but that doesn't mean you couldn't wield different gear for different situations.

Example of a two-handed shield in OSRS, which people use to tank attacks and switch back to a weapon right after they mitigate damage (which I find very boring).

CxTbGnqXgAAIr4w.jpg
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Since shield throw is a skill anything bigger than Captain America's shield would look silly.

In terms if real life Roman's used tower shields but even those were specifically for the phalanx. Far less effective outside of the shield wall.

I'd draw the line at size comparison there.

Kite shields had two sets of hand rungs in em. The typical depiction worn with the point facing down 🔽
    And the other set of hand rungs let you wear it sideways ▶️

I'll let your imagination sort out what the pointy end was for.
  • Options
    During the Viking Age, wooden shields were fairly common. This is because wood is cheap and light, and you can carry so much weight on a longship.

To over come the natural weakness if wood versus blade, the shield was sealed with a metal ring around the edge, and had a metal ball in the center on the front. They didn't cower behind these shields as they would have been chopped to splinters. Instead they would try to intercept incoming attacks and deflect them with the metal ball in the center.

You could also smash a guy in the face with the metal edge.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The only way for one big shield to make any sense in a MMO would be like this...

-You will be extra tanky, have less mobility, and hit like a wet noodle.
    -1v1 you will not be able to do enough damage to kill anyone without them just walking away.
    -In a group PVP everyone will ignore you just kite you and kill you last.
    -In PVE you wont be able to hold aggro.

I love me a good tower shield.
    Only having one big tower shield would not make any sense in anything that is not an anime.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    MommieMommie Member
    edited September 2020
    Tank has some major CC spells so I doubt it they won't focus me. Maybe there will be variation of "thornmail" to reflect % of the dmg received back to the attacker
  • Options
    Well double shields are most likely a meme and should not be considered to be honest. It would be funny tho to add it on April 1st.
    M26VaAj.gif
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited September 2020
    I think this type of gameplay should be available through some bard/tank archetype interaction where you magically buff yourself up to reflect either portion of damage or flat amount or a combination of both.

Otherwise "thornmail" as pure tank archetype ability should logically only reduce the durability of the attackers weapon. Which is really interesting, but I would be cautious to implement such a skill :lol:

Edit:
    or even tank/cleric interaction where you basically do a divine retribution on every attack against you

― Plato
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2020
    Why are you labeling these threads "megathreads"?

And as to the topic, duel shield is stupid. It is amusing to think about, but just stupid.

• Options
    Sheildtutleman.png
    Praise the turtle-shield man
    Also I'd like to use shields as basic attacks (shield bash). And was thinking how "thornmail" would be nice so shields would reflect % of dmg received back to the attacker.