Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My perception from Alter Character system

Hello im Sherkus, i have been playing almost all the MMORPG'S out there and my thought about character system are negative since the alter system is there because you are not "free to experiment".

For example in World of Warcraft you directly NEED to create more characters since you are locked to only two professions so you need to make more because you are not going to have a good economy if you don't expand your market much (atleast we can do all the professions in Ashes but only one is mastered)

Also you maybe want to test another classes and again lvl up another character.

This kind of "content" that you need to make again is just a waste of time from my point of view since you are not progressing your main character and you are investing hours in other character that is not going to be relevant.

Also i feel like World of Warcraft has this system to force you to create another character while you pay mensually so i feel scammed, well... in general Blizzard makes me feel scammed in many ways :D

So what could i implement in the game as an idea to not force you to create another character?

- Create the opportunity to change your main class with a legendary quest or maybe with a cooldown of for example 3 months.
- Once you reached the max lvl with a profession be able to master another one but start a decay system, if you don't use this profession in X hours / days (and you are connecting to the game) then the profession starts to decay

Regards

Comments

• Options
    From what we've been told, you can level up all of the archetypes in the game, but you won't be able to change your characters primary archetype. Both your primary and secondary archetype give you your "class". Having the ability to change you secondary archetype is enough in my opinion, this wouldn't mean you'd need to roll a new character to try a new class either.

You should read this, https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes.

• Options
    SherkusSherkus Member, Alpha One
    Maybe i have explained it wrong, i already know about the second archetype, but im talking about the primary also, this is why i talk about a cooldown or legendary quest.

Regards
  • Options
    SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited September 2020
    Primary archetype wont be subject to change. I dunno if anything will convince them otherwise.

Lets say you could change your primary archetype with a legendary quest. What is the risk to this reward, as this is what the game is based on.

Similar thread: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46179/no-alts/p1
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    Decisions in Ashes are designed to have consequences. When decisions aren’t permanent, then they cannot possibly be consequential.

• Options
    @Sherkus what you are looking for is call Final Fantasy XIV ! you can even switch class with a single button as many time as you want plus master all craft job.

I believe your idea won't work for AoC cause they want to create social interaction, with the fact that you can't do everything by yourself. Steven doesn't want you to be fully independent to force you to play with other players. Imo that a good things !
  • Options
    AtiqaAtiqa Member
    edited September 2020
    If you for example went Dunir dwarf as a fighter main archetype, you would then probably not want to change main archetype to something like mage, because dwarf will most likely not be good at that.

So unless you want to allow players to enter a character creation kinda thing too, you will still have the problem if you want to try something completely new.

Personally I don't see the problem. I want people to choose a path and then make that part of their identity.

Makes it less of an issue of players just switching to what's meta at the time. Will still happen, but an insignificant amount of people will spend all that time leveling up a new character just for that.

If you could change main archetype in a much easier way, even if it has a long cool down, will still have players changing to meta classes.

You have 8 classes you can change between with a secondary archetype swap. That's enough IMO
  • Options
    Nah, im looking exactly for ashes @GunnLady this the MMORPG that i ever dreamed, even with the first class lock :D

Anyway my point is about the point when you are lossing the time on the main character instead when you are using the second one.

About doing all by myself, its impossible since i talked about a CD of 3 months, maybe more if you want, but its about the point of changing the class without being forced to start another character.

For example, i have been main druid in wow since Classic, i never changed my main, but i lost a lot of hours on creating alters, time that i could spend on the main character equipment or professions.

I understand the point of consequences @Caeryl

Also we should consider the risk of changing your primary class after months, where you have been getting equipment for a class that maybe is not useful on your change.

Anyway it was just an idea... maybe im just tired of throwing my money to World of Warcraft and all of the scams that they created... new races that you have to unlock by playing instead of creating a new character directly, you are almost paying a DLC since you need to spend time from your monthly suscription to unluck it :D

Im so tired of Blizzard industry, just hoping that Intrepid Studios changes the market and creates competition in this MMORPG sector that needs a LOT of new ideas like Ashes
  • Options
    disagreed. The decision in your main archetype should matter.

If you want to play another, then reroll.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sherkus wrote: »
    For example, i have been main druid in wow since Classic, i never changed my main, but i lost a lot of hours on creating alters, time that i could spend on the main character equipment or professions.
    Sounds to me like you made a decision.

Games that see us making informed decisions are good games.

Anyway it was just an idea... maybe im just tired of throwing my money to World of Warcraft and all of the scams that they created... new races that you have to unlock by playing instead of creating a new character directly, you are almost paying a DLC since you need to spend time from your monthly suscription to unluck it
    This part sounds to me like you are being cynical for the sake of being cynical.

Don't get me wrong, I personally think WoW is a worthless shit-stain of a black mark on the MMO industry - the game has caused more harm than good to the indistry as a whole.

However, the third or fourth biggest problem with that game (after the childlike combat system, LFG system, and the introduction of new mechanics only to drop them in the next content cycle) is the fact that the game has so many players that are almost scared to walk away from the game.

This is in part due to the design of the game, but is just as much the fault of players that think they will be missing out if they leave.

If you are that cynical about a game, that is a good sign that you should have left it several years previous.
  • Options
    I don't play WoW since Lich King, i "tested" all the expansions, couldn't play more than a month since its not an MMORPG anymore, its an MORPG, they lost the massive word because there is no more outdoor importancy.

I don't know where i have been cynical anyway, my point of view from monthly suscription on wow is because they make me feel scammed, they even deleted the GM's support years ago, and still be 12.99€ in my case, same price, less quality.

And im not crying about monthly suscription this is the kind of game that i like "Ashes" in this case, im just talking about what Blizzard does.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I don't know where i have been cynical anyway
    I wouldn't worry too much about this, a bit of cynicism is a good thing - especially true if it is aimed at a company that is constantly pushing disappointing products.

That said, the complaint about content (in this case, a race) being unloked in game rather than being available at character creation is cynical.

Having to unlock content in game is a good thing, and the way you paint it in your post comes across as very cynical.
  • Options
    the thing is, if you dont like a class, delete it and make an alt that you like more your main.