Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How Would You Feel About OP Individual Players

JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So, we know that the game’s going to be balanced based off group play. There was also mention that some of the leaders of a metropolis might get certain augments (such as the leader of a Religious Metropolis).

Considering that there will be different levels of skill, min/maxing, meta, etc etc.
How would you feel if a handful of individuals were, what could be considered, “unbalanced/broken” knowing that this number couldn’t grow and the individuals involved might change over time?

Just a random fun thread to toss the ball around in

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    Get some people to run builds that totally counter them and have them camp them in sieges.
    One OP fighter cant survive 5 oneshot glasscannon assassins.

Broken doesnt mean immortal.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Damokles wrote: »

That was my thought as well. It might take a little more effort, especially if they are being protected in the back lines, but over time people would find their weaknesses. And unless someone sought to take their power, I think most people wouldn't mind having their leaders at their backs being a bit more powerful than they are.

It might differ depending on the person and how they behave too. Like a crazy fighter might go around and become a crazy corrupted player while a passive cleric might simply be the most sought after dungeon companion.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I thought there was a possible distinction between the benefits of being in a small guild vs a larger one, and one of those was potentially better guild buffs. As such a smaller clan may have the potential, coupled with the right gearing, be over powered compared to regular players.

If my interpretation was correct, then it was an interesting concept that I am all for. Providing the difference is not too pronounced.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited January 2021
    Jamation wrote: »
    So, we know that the game’s going to be balanced based off group play. There was also mention that some of the leaders of a metropolis might get certain augments (such as the leader of a Religious Metropolis).

Considering that there will be different levels of skill, min/maxing, meta, etc etc.
    How would you feel if a handful of individuals were, what could be considered, “unbalanced/broken” knowing that this number couldn’t grow and the individuals involved might change over time?

Just a random fun thread to toss the ball around in

If it was just a handful of people, then I'd probably be OK with it because broken builds or metas don't usually stay confined to just a handful of players. So the reason for them being OP would probably be something else like epic rewards or earned gear.

I also like the idea of a handful of players acquiring unusual power through very difficult means like unique quests or challenges.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Flying mounts are PvP mounts using attacks such as dragons breathing fire while flying around. It sounds OP and there will only ever be around 10-20 such players on a server or a handful of others temporarily in castle sieges.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Damokles wrote: »

My thoughts as well.

Archeage had an issue with a small number of OP players (due to that games p2w). Even the most OP player in the game was never a match for 3 organized players though, so it was never an issue in large scale PvP.
  • Options
    I would be in awe of the one walking around Nuking things with god-like HP.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind. It encourages me, and I'm sure this is true for some players, to min/max and chase after the meta and become the best as what we specialize in. As mentioned above, everything has a counter and weaknesses can be exposed.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I'll pre-face this by saying I have never actually played the game I am about to mention, but from game reviews I've seen on the matter it does seem to hold true.

In the new Battlefront games (Star Wars) you can get hero units if certain conditions are met. Which makes you OP. But it also makes you a target.

So I suppose it'll balance itself out in that regard, if this OP character somehow stands out (flying dragon mount would make you stand out) Because as we all know, big PvP fights are a visual mess. As it should be. (There's a reason movies make sides very distinctively different for the viewer)
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    I like the concept that someone of economic or political power could potentially have a harder rate to kill. In the same sense as an army leader shouldn't be weaker than their subordinates. I do not however like immortal un-killable builds that will become "the meta". I like the idea of everyone having at least 1 weakness if not multiple with varying degrees of advantages/disadvantages.
    Future mercenary guild owner in Ashes of Creation
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
  • Options
    BlightEmpireBlightEmpire Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im one of those that wants to become a IMMORTAL metaphorically, I would like to work hard to earn legendary gear with unique skills or going after actual legendary quests that would offer you a cooldown based skill. Basically i wanna work toward earning some powerful artifacts thus i dont feel it would be OP because i put in the hard work to earn it that others can do. Sure some things might come down to just stupid lucky lol but i mean luck can be a skill to.

So for example lets say i Craft/Find a super rare legendary. It took me 6 months to get it. But it offers a very powerful barrier ability that isnt unbreakable but takes a lot of DPS, or maybe i found a long time cooldown skill or armor piece with say a hour long cooldown (probley be a day cooldown really or longer though) that lets me summon a army of 100 zombies that are only moderate level. Or maybe a since id be a summoner in theory. It lets me increase my summonable minion count. Or maybe its a AOE attack spell that summons giant spears from the ground and damages all enemies around me for a flat 30% HP but again it has some balances all these would. I want to be powerful but not a god well... i would but not realistic lol. I foresee IF these super items come out. Some kind of hard limitations either Long cooldowns so those players are only threats for a little bit. Or make it so there are drawbacks to using it like maybe in the case of summoning a zombie army that the summoner is rooted and if killed all zombies lose 50% hp or something just spitballing.

In summary im fine with things being a bit OP just not a unkillable guy maybe with right gear takes 5+ people to wipe him.
  • Options
    Nah, give everyone an equal playing field. No-one should be "OP". More powerful, sure. More skilled, sure. But not overpowered.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm happy for a scissors-paper-rock balance.

Just beware pokemon's mistakes:
    Dragon being unmatched until "fairy" was created.
    Psychic running unchecked in the og series.

But I do like that they had the Normal type being somewhat below average, so it made all other types feel somewhat special.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't want OP characters through special game mechanics.

I'm ok with the few mayors and kings we'll see on flying mounts. Chances are very good, that should they ever descend into range of the opposing force, they will be taken down immediately. I sure hope they aren't super tanky.
  • Options
    Monster Coin anyone?
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    I'm happy for a scissors-paper-rock balance.

Just beware pokemon's mistakes:
    Dragon being unmatched until "fairy" was created.
    Psychic running unchecked in the og series.

But I do like that they had the Normal type being somewhat below average, so it made all other types feel somewhat special.

Ice countered dragon. Everyone always ran at least one pokemon with icebeam etc.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have seen similar mechanics and other games work without problem. Typically the tried and true method is locking it behind a lot of grinding and making people really have to work and compete for it. Also making it so people can lose it.

When you need to heavily rely on others it makes a system that is less abusable by dicks.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    In Ragnarok online there were certain people that had "God like" Equipment and Boss drops of a 0,000001% chance.
    Their names were known even to smaller guilds and people would focus them.
    Sometimes pure dmg other times just CC the hell out of them and leave them rotting in a corner.

So personally im all OK.
    It makes it so that Information about the enemy players are key to victory again, rather then mindless zerging.
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • Options
    Would be kool to incorporate an idea from log horizon and creat some sort of visual art skill that only acquired through constant repetition meaning gatherer and crafter would get a skill to improve or creat something no one else knew existed or high end raiders get an ability to aid in raids etc so then players who want to be OP cant just grind for month a certain boss for a certain drop and not all skill would be amazing some might even jus be a party trick.