Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #26 - Login Rewards

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    AOCCrafterAOCCrafter Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have never really minded the presence of login rewards, as long as they were strictly cosmetic in nature or of a timed buff effect or lets say a potion with some sort of timed effect, once it used it is gone when the time runs out.

I would not like to see them be a 30 of 30 days logged in thing however. I think a grace period is a more friendly and less punishing type of plan like login 20 of 30 days and if a player misses a few days they can use the other 10 days as a catch up mechanic that way they can still garner the full reward and still feel like they have a life.

So in short I am for them, I am for any reward I can get as a player in the realm I call home lol :)
    “There’s absolutely no limit to what plain ordinary working people can accomplish, if they are given the opportunity, encouragement and incentive to do their best”.
    -Mr. Sam Walton
  • Options
    I’m terribly indecisive so will undoubtedly change my mind after writing this. :P

Quite simply, no. I’d rather the game not have any reward purely for the act of logging in. I’d sooner the reward came from playing. Login bonuses/rewards belong in mobile games and not this masterpiece :wink:

Final Fantasy 14 has a good approach to login/active rewards. You are rewarded based on days subscribed.
    You are not incentivised to turn up each day nor do you feel as though you are missing out should you do so.

Perhaps that is a reasonable compromise? :smile:
  • Options
    xlangatangxxlangatangx Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I plan to play almost every day. I doubt I would ever miss a login reward unless traveling or on vacation. Even knowing this, I would not want login/daily rewards. I have always viewed them as a predatory practice. They feel dirty, and diminish the content of the game. At some point, logging in stops being about the game, and more about cashing in whatever incentive is waiting for me. As soon as I log in, I have already accomplished a goal for the day while experiencing 0 content. Gross. Please don't abuse my tiny brain.

If the world of Verra is truly going to change every day, I feel like the world itself should be compelling enough to drive players to want to view it. Every day some node in the world will be changing, a dungeon will open, a war will start or conclude, property and local market prices will change, raids, guild wars, the list goes on. Verra will have player driven content. That should be enough.

As others have said, FOMO is real. It DOES impact people's lives. I loved Tarvernside Gaming's (first reply to the thread) approaches. Even though it doesn't eliminate dailies, at least it takes a more forgiving approach to them.
  • Options
    Is this a themepark MMO or what? I can't wait to see all of the hyper fluorescent Fortnite skins people have after logging in for a month straight. Good lord, people. Stop it.
  • Options
    ProteyProtey Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as the rewards are cosmetic only. I don't care how my character looks, what I care about is the capability of my character. If the capability of my character is something I earned through challenge, then everything is fine, that is what makes a game a game. If the capability of my character is something I get just for menial tasks, that's a big no no. Can't even call it a game anymore, it's just brain-dead entertainment... might as well be watching TV. So not only for this, but throughout everything in Ashes of Creation... please, please always make character advancement be through overcoming challenges.
  • Options
    lordmarshallordmarshal Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Here is my idea and I didn't read everyone else's to see if someone came up with the same idea. :wink:

If you log in every day of the month, you get that month's reward for free.
    When that month is gone, that reward goes into a kind of login store.
    Every day you log in you get a login coin. Each previous month's reward would cost 30 coins.
    That way if you missed a previous month's reward you could gain enough coins to go back and buy it.
  • Options
    This is a little of topic but MMOs in general are always trying to come up ways to get people to log in or keep people on line.....Well this is how WoW lost 4 million subs in one expansion chasing subs.

Now devs think they are smart like the devs at wow that created the Garrisons. They created player housing with things to do in your garrison but were mostly dailies. Actually was kind of interesting and engaging but the whole thing back fired on them...

See what happened was Garrisons required daily maintenance and the smart devs at WoW did make it kind of intersesting but problem was that people were spending too much time in their Garrisons. See it worked they created a system by which players would log in more frequently by making the dailies kind of fun unfortuneately the open world was kind of empty cause every one was in their garrisons.

Now same thing happens when companies make gardens and let palyer farm a small piece of land. sure They log in but spen to much time farming as in vegatables. }

The problem here in these example is that thy are making solo content really good ann instead of doing group content they spend more time making their pile of gold bigger. Alone.

Now purpose of having players log in is not to do dailies or some solo content over and over again but really you want people logging in to fill in those 100 vs 100 brackets and and sieges and 40 man raids. If people log in to do their dailies as fun and complex system it may be if it is solo content then it really does not benifit the game at all.

However if lets say there as a daily loot box a good one enought ot keep you busy for one year that come from lets say killing a world boss. That actually helps the game by giving people an incentive to kill a wolrd boss so if it takes like 150 people to kill a world they will show up in theory.

So if you are going to provide incentives for players to log in and do certain content it should be group content.

With notable exceptions like professions and quests. Although there are group quests and there is a little player interaction when it comes to prefessions.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There was a quest in Age of Conan - Kill 12 World Bosses in 12 months. Each World Boss was named for the particular month. It was a group quest and you gained a Legendary Cloak when the quest was completed. Again it is off topic but it was a good quest. I do not mind 'long quests'. I'm just opposed to login rewards and daily quests. Monthly quests and weekly quests aren't so bad so long as they don't number more than 1 or 2 per week/month.

Nothing kills a game faster than being on 'rails' through daily quests and too many weekly/monthly quests. After a while it becomes too repetitive and boring.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    The coin idea is good, its a good way to visualise how close you are to getting a new cosmetic. I do think it should be seasonal though, so 4 times a year. I think an everyday log in is also not the best idea for a less chore like feel, between each cosmetic you should have to log in on average every 2 or 3 days. If you did do it seasonal, each year you could have 4 cosmetic items that match as a set.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I love log in rewards. I like it when they dont require you to log in every day or you miss a reward. GW2 does a great job of this. Its just 28 days of rewards, every time you log in you just get the next reward. The rewards were not just useful but rewarding.
  • Options
    catibriecatibrie Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    I love log in rewards. I like it when they dont require you to log in every day or you miss a reward. GW2 does a great job of this. Its just 28 days of rewards, every time you log in you just get the next reward. The rewards were not just useful but rewarding.

I loved this as well. I really hope we get log in rewards. Its a nice way for a gaming company to show they apricate their fans who pay and play.
  • Options
    Connect for Prime like PoE every month give samething skin
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If login rewards are implemented, I believe the team will do their best to make them feel right. I would prefer they weren't included, though.Why?..

1) Login rewards feel like a scheme to get players to login, even if they aren't meant to be. Daily rewards in general just feel like this: like a chore that needs to be done. They never feel like a legitimate reason to login. The game should be fun enough to make me play every day. This sentiment has been noted on the OP but I figured I would add to the crowd.

2) Login rewards make me feel like i'm playing a mobile game. This isn't to say that any (or even most) mobile games are bad, but there's a very specific feeling that comes with them. They feel very... gamey. When I open up my minecraft server/world of warcraft, I sit down and immerse myself. I'm paying attention to the world and the people around me. What's changed since last time? What do I want to do today? Are my friends online?

When I log into a mobile game (Bang Dream for example, an anime rhythm game) I get about 5 different notices/popups before really getting into the game. This can be monthly login stuff, daily login stuff, events, new characters, new songs... these things are fine for this type of mobile game, but for an MMO RPG they would be very distracting from the world and the players.

3) Login rewards contribute to what I'd call "system bloat", something that AoC will have to focus on combating already. System bloat is when there are too many moving parts and game aspects for a new player to learn all at once. Ashes of Creation already has enough complexity that many people here could talk about it for an hour, easily. When a new player finds the game without anybody to guide them through, how are they supposed to learn all that themselves?

Login rewards, although simple, would contribute to that initial learning bump. Although all of us here know what they are, and know that for 90% of logins you won't have to worry about them, that's not the case for a completely new player. They would have to take a few minutes to read about them, learn what they are, and learn that they're cosmetic only before knowing that they don't have to worry about them. Then you have new players who are learning about cosmetics and login rewards and these incredibly meta/long term things BEFORE they've even killed their first monster.

I can't help but think about my first (and only) hour of playing BDO when you get into the game and there's a dozen popups and login rewards and events and systems that they never bother to explain.
  • Options
    RuladianRuladian Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If there is going to be log in rewards for cosmetics don't make those rewards a limited run. I also personally hate log in rewards that have streak bonuses too.
  • Options
    Mythikyn wrote: »
    I’m terribly indecisive so will undoubtedly change my mind after writing this. :P

Quite simply, no. I’d rather the game not have any reward purely for the act of logging in. I’d sooner the reward came from playing. Login bonuses/rewards belong in mobile games and not this masterpiece :wink:

Final Fantasy 14 has a good approach to login/active rewards. You are rewarded based on days subscribed.
    You are not incentivised to turn up each day nor do you feel as though you are missing out should you do so.

Perhaps that is a reasonable compromise? :smile:

Ultima Online did this as well. And i Like this approach way more than Anything else...
    Getting a Reward for sticking with the Game feels way better than to log in Everyday to grab some mostly useless Token stuff. BtW... if a Game wont give u the Urge to Play it more or to Login "All the Time" Login Rewards in itself wont make u come back for a longer Period of Time Anyway.