Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Animations/Physics discussion

Which animations/physics do you think would add immersion to the game? Seeing how weight effects your character's body animation would be a nice plus in my opinion but what do you think would add immersion in this mather?

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Always liked it when the character model is rigged to allow one foot to be on a rock or slope and the other on another flat surface without things clipping or looking weird.

I also really like FFXIVs head look system. Where the head actually tries to naturally look at your target in every animation.

None of it is necessary, but it is always cool to see.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I also really like FFXIVs head look system. Where the head actually tries to naturally look at your target in every animation.
    Yeah, EQ2 has this as well - since it's from 2004 though, it is a little clunky. Things like this make characters just feel more 'right' imo.
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as its fluid movement

Fluid movement>weightyness
    Izil.png
  • Options
    Fluent movements are importend indeed. Combined with a weight-animation, that would make it all the better because you get a better impression that theres gravity involved. So often I feel like mmo's lack that. Maybe its just difficult to implement but if its possible, then that would add a great feel to the game I think.
  • Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited March 2021
    Would love to see characters actually searching through a bag or pouch when in their inventory, and PREFERABLY actually take that bag or pouch off of their back or waist. Like ESO but also not like ESO since that bag comes from... somewhere the sun doesn't shine.

Would like to see physics for jewelry, like when running it'd be cool to see a necklace swing back and forth. Completely unnecessary and probably too much work & money for such a fine detail, but would be cool still.

Actually eating food in the game, please. Eating air is such an infamous and weird thing in MMOs. Same would go to feeding mounts if we need to.

And in general, if we use tools for anything (crafting, gathering etc) i'd like to actually see the tool in my hand and not just some weird animation.

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Inertia! or pretend inertia.
    Did I mention inertia?

Or momentum!
    I like momentum.

Basically non-linearity.
    Gimme them parabolas, the cubics and the dampened oscillators. BEAUTY-FUL STUFF
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Inertia! or pretend inertia.
    Did I mention inertia?

Or momentum!
    I like momentum.

Basically non-linearity.
    Gimme them parabolas, the cubics and the dampened oscillators. BEAUTY-FUL STUFF

totally agree getting the feeling of inertia right makes games feel way more real.

A movie that did this really well was Pacific Rim and just by seeing how those robots move you can feel their huge size.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=E9pB6_WUR-U
  • Options
    I wouldn't want anything unduly delayed, but if this is a suggestion for polish....

I have a preference for seeing melee blows landed with the attacker sinking some body weight onto their legs.
    The Tank's "Onslaught" ability does this extremely well. If a weapon actually connects with the target at the same time as the weight sinking onto the legs then it looks powerful and believable.

For me, the same applies to using damaging spells, the impactful part of the spell looks best if it coincides with the attackers weight sinking onto the legs a little.

When melee weapons are swung (not thrust / stabbed) they are always swung in loops/circles - away from the body , around and then starting to draw back in towards the attacker's body at the point of impact with the target. Some of those circles are made with small wrist movements (eg. faster swordplay). Some of those circles are slower / more powerful and are more obviously made with the arms and upper body (eg. swinging a woodman's axe). Jerky animations that jump unrealistically from one position in the loop to another position in the loop should be avoided. I think that ties in with the inertia / momentum comments from other posters.

I really enjoyed the first pass of the death animation that we saw recently, with the ashes blowing away into the wind. I would like to see the ashes linger for a little longer, so that if a bunch of mages wiped a large group of opponents you would see a large cloud of ashes floating in the air for a few seconds before they dissipated. I think that would make a poignant talking point after particularly big battles and some great screenshots / streaming moments.

I'd like to see and hear inconsequential bugs scatter from a meadow as I approach.

I'd like to be able to see tracks in snow, or make my own tracks if the snow hasn't been disturbed for 20? minutes.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    We're still in alpha and all but I feel two areas that really need work is the weightiness as you mentioned.
    While there have been some improvements some of the animations still feel a bit floaty and to quick (strafing).

Another area is in combat. A lot of the attacks feel like they have very little impact behind them and makes the combat come across as rather stiff.