Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Breaking news from Steven: Alpha NDA drop moved to July 9th

AsgerrAsgerr Member
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Here is Steven's message:

My friends,

Some recent developments have caused me to reevaluate our upcoming test schedules and make some necessary adjustments. I will be moving the NDA release and the June 1st Alpha One start date to July. I know this is not ideal, and you have no idea how much it pains me to disappoint our community, but it is my responsibility to make these difficult decisions in order to ensure the test is successful.Testing for the 14th of May will continue for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with an updated schedule being sent to testers today. I am going to explain in detail the reasons for this, and hope you will understand the need and agree with the benefits of this decision.

schedule-1920.png

Do you guys think this is some sort of reaction to WoW scheduling their TBC release the same day the original Alpha NDA dropped?
Sig-ult-2.png

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well the did say this

"Finally, several new expansion launches for other live games were announced that would have coincided with our test starting June 1st. We estimate roughly 25% of our current testing pool are active players across these titles combined. This fact presents us with forcing our testers to choose between participating in our testing environment (which will be a long and arduous responsibility), or playing an expansion with their friends in other popular titles. As I outlined earlier, this testing period is an important one. It will require not only participation, but also the attention and feedback from both our testing audience and the broader Ashes of Creation community and general public."

But I honestly think its a lot of things that are the cause of this, number 1 being the addition of sieges
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes. Steven alluded to that fact if you read the whole announcement. Steven mentioned 'Expansions and people playing with their friends.'
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Do you guys think this is some sort of reaction to WoW scheduling their TBC release the same day the original Alpha NDA dropped?

If you'd read the entire post, you wouldn't have to guess. The post explicitly says they're doing it for
    1) more QA testing ahead of the alpha
    2) to accomodate for their accelerated studio move-in schedule
    3) ESO & WoW expansion release dates on june 1st

here's the full post for anybody that actually wants to read it:
    https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2021-05-10-alpha-one-schedule-update
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The HELL with TBC!

As long as we can still test some A1 I am happy.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for the wave of people I need to tell this is a ALPHA not an early access game being imported
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is a weak move...
    Kowtow to Activision clearly.
    Not impressed.
  • Options
    This is a weak move...
    Kowtow to Activision clearly.
    Not impressed.

Well lucky for them they don't care if you are impressed
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    HellfarHellfar Member
    This was a very smart move and I commend them. Blizzard rushed TBC largely due to the competition knocking on their door this summer, all while infuriating their player base in the process. Meanwhile, Intrepid is playing it safe while also being transparent and honest about this decision. Much respect.
  • Options
    Guys dont forget they are adding a huge addition to the alpha that was to meant to be there
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We all just need to trust the process and understand that the devs have the game’s and the community’s best interest in mind as their first priority.

♥ In The Name Of Venus, I'll Punish You! ♥

source.gif

https://instagram.com/theblazedace/
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    To be honest, Steven made the right call here, the point of an Alpha is to stress test features, servers, etc. Let's face it TBC is going to attract a lot of people, also the ESO expansion coming out, Bless unleashed releasing in June etc.

Also, this is Alpha and he wants to have it without an NDA, so we are talking about a first impression! This has to go as smoothly as possible. This because while it is alpha, people will be judging the game, and some people still do not understand the difference between alpha and full release xD
  • Options
    Beck AltarrBeck Altarr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Called it.

And as I have said. Delays at this stage are not a bad thing. It's a good thing.
    phoenix.png
    Alpha/Beta Tester of Many Games - Station Manger of PhoenixRadio.Online an AoC & Gamer themed online Radio. Tune In Here
    Love a good story and lore.
    Twitch Streamer : PRO Discord
  • Options
    I still think removing the NDA this early is a mistake but I hope it works for them
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    "Well lucky for them they don't care if you are impressed"

What does luck have to do with it. Why is my point of view invalid? because it does not agree with yours...

real friends make time, fake friends make excuses.

What's going to be the public image as a result of this? We'll see how this news reverberates.

A second delay on the NDA lifted test....but it's ok because of sugar coating.

It's a weak move and that's the truth generally speaking.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member

What does luck have to do with it. Why is my point of view invalid? because it does not agree with yours...

What's going to be the public image as a result of this? We'll see how this news reverberates.

Wanting your game to get the most views and to have said views land on a better feeling Alpha = weakness

Gotcha. I'll be sure to come to you when I need advice on how to display strength. Can't wait to send threat letters to Activision-Blizzard to display dominance, like the 1337 gigachads we are.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options

1. Your view has as much impact as mine, None
    2. they are no one's friend they are a games company
    3. they have taken hits to the public image many times and they bounced back
    4. Its still Alpha delays are part and parcel of it
    5. I don't care if its a weak move as long as the end product is good
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bwa hahahahaha!!!
    That's game development for ya!!

Nothing to do with Activision because it's basically two more months of spot testing.
    It's another two month push back.
    This is typical for the Ashes devs.
  • Options
    Kivek RhuKhanKivek RhuKhan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Wanting your game to get the most views and to have said views land on a better feeling Alpha = weakness

Gotcha. I'll be sure to come to you when I need advice on how to display strength. Can't wait to send threat letters to Activision-Blizzard to display dominance, like the 1337 gigachads we are.

tenor.gif?itemid=11781824
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Bwa hahahahaha!!!

Nothing to do with Activision because it's basically two more months of spot testing.

My point exactly the amount of delays ashes has had and will have is already a lot but that's all part of making a game. Just wish people would realise that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Kivek RhuKhanKivek RhuKhan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Here is Steven's message:

My friends,

Some recent developments have caused me to reevaluate our upcoming test schedules and make some necessary adjustments. I will be moving the NDA release and the June 1st Alpha One start date to July. I know this is not ideal, and you have no idea how much it pains me to disappoint our community, but it is my responsibility to make these difficult decisions in order to ensure the test is successful.Testing for the 14th of May will continue for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with an updated schedule being sent to testers today. I am going to explain in detail the reasons for this, and hope you will understand the need and agree with the benefits of this decision.

schedule-1920.png

https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2021-05-10-alpha-one-schedule-update

"Finally, several new expansion launches for other live games were announced that would have coincided with our test starting June 1st. We estimate roughly 25% of our current testing pool are active players across these titles combined. This fact presents us with forcing our testers to choose between participating in our testing environment (which will be a long and arduous responsibility), or playing an expansion with their friends in other popular titles. As I outlined earlier, this testing period is an important one. It will require not only participation, but also the attention and feedback from both our testing audience and the broader Ashes of Creation community and general public."

tenor.gif?itemid=12316206
  • Options
    This does not seem like a huge deal. Everyone will be disappointed to a degree, but delays are expected in game development, even in Single Player games.

You have to trust the process and realize that not only is your money going into this game, but it is Steven's as well, and trust me, with the size of investment he is putting up... delays only add to that investment. He wants this game to be finished just as much as we do, but not at the cost of getting it done right.

• Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As for delay, disappointed, understand, fair enough.
    /signed
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    I have gone on twitter, reddit and through this thread, and I am very happy to note that most everyone appears to be in agreeance: this is a good move.

I hope Steven sees the positive feedback and doesn't "feel bad" (as much as he actually can) about pushing the NDA drop back.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Blizzard- 1 Intrepid -0 the game continues. Like i said blizzard does this on purpose with everything they release, it’s calculated and every date has a purpose
  • Options
    @Asgerr well of course when your big time streamers are playing TBCC, what choice do you have but to delay
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I support this decision in full. I moved my vacation from June to July in order to not miss any A1 content. Now I get to move my vacation back to June. Good looking out Sandal God.

As for any other reason they moved it...I support all that as well.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm in the opposite boat. Work loads are high so I couldn't join A1 and couldn't risk the investment. But now the test has been moved to july-august I can play the month long test before I go on holiday. I'm quite stoked about the change.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2021
    Always a bit sad to see a delay, but I do believe this was a good move altogether. It's very nice to see Steven giving us an overview of which systems they are actually aiming to test.

Also, pushing the NDA a bit further while making sure things are ready to be viewed by a wider audience is probably a rather good call. There are too many people around already thinking that Alpha will be a "playable game experience". With the amount of attention AoC is getting already at this early stage, it will be important for IS to make a good first impression. Not only will the launch of A1 affect the initial view of AoC by a broader than before audience, but it will also reflect on IS as a new game development team.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My ultimate dream would be to have Alpha 2 come out this year some time. Is it unrealistic? Sure. Would it be amazing and fulfill my need for consistent AoC exposure? Hell yes. When Alpha 2 drops, as long as we have a solid community who are there to help the development team in every way possible (which I believe we have) then development should proceed smoothly.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    Bwa hahahahaha!!!

My point exactly the amount of delays ashes has had and will have is already a lot but that's all part of making a game. Just wish people would realise that

Agreed, @Nagash.

Steven made the right decision and is looking at the long-term health of the game.