Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will the (Summoner) Brood Warden be able to off tank end game? Should it?

I've always been drawn to the support-ish roles in MMOs, tanks, healers, buffs, CC etc. Being that summoner is considered a support class, it's the class that I'm drawn to the most as of right now as it's different that anything I have played before. With the information out there so far, it is said that the Summoner can have up to 3 pets out, and in some cases 1 super powerful pet.

It has also been stated that the primary tank archtype will be the end game main tank, but is it possible to have a Brood Warden off tank? With the idea that the secondary tank archtype would have defensive augments for the pets, can or should they be able to off tank with their pet come end game?

I get that the the tank will be the primary, but it seems reasonable that a specific pet tank based pet class should at least be able to do SOME end game tanking limited to off tanking specifically. Am I right? It wouldn't take away from the actual tanks but It would fulfill the need for some players like myself to be useful in end game with a pet class to a niche degree. I think it would go a long way for what options are available for the games content.

If not end game content, would this specific mix of archtypes be able to main tank dungeons? Or will the pet class be forever subjected to just simple experience grinding in mmos? I'm thinking of the pet classes from back in DAOC for example. Always an exp grinder/alt leveler.

What does the community think? I feel like the tanking spec summoner has this concern, as a healing offspec summoner will always be useful since spot healing goes a long way for the mana effiency for the main healers and DPS is always useful.

Comments

• Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    I would like to tentatively say yes to off tanking or maybe dungeon tanking.
    I have no proof but I will assume picking tank as a secondary will add personal survivability and threat(hate) generation.

Probably more of an emergency or mob tank rather than a dedicated boss one.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Kalv1441 wrote: »
    I've always been drawn to the support-ish roles in MMOs, tanks, healers, buffs, CC etc. Being that summoner is considered a support class, it's the class that I'm drawn to the most as of right now as it's different that anything I have played before. With the information out there so far, it is said that the Summoner can have up to 3 pets out, and in some cases 1 super powerful pet.

It has also been stated that the primary tank archtype will be the end game main tank, but is it possible to have a Brood Warden off tank? With the idea that the secondary tank archtype would have defensive augments for the pets, can or should they be able to off tank with their pet come end game?
    How well a Brood Warden will be able to off-tank really depends on the specific augments chosen.
    Seems like it should be possible, but we really know next to nothing about Summoner abilities or how Tank augments will affect Summoner abilities.
    It could also be that if you wanted to be an off-tank, you should get some augments from Military Nodes.
    I think if you want your Brood Warden to be a good off-tank, there will be several avenues available to help make that possible.

But, we don't have enough details to weigh in meaningfully.
  • Options
    I don't suppose we've any way of knowing, yet. We don't even know the Summoner skills.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    It depends on what he will be able to do with his summons tbh.
    Will he summon a add that has high hp and defense or will he be able to summon multiple adds that can soak a percentage of damage for you and your allies.

I would actually preferr him to slip into a tank support role that does not actually tank but rather take the load off for the tanks.
    He could, for example, be used to support weaker or/and inexperienced tanks in a raid or dungeon.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    I personally would like to see classes like summoner and warrior be able to offtank. Offtank mechanics are so much fun! Adding to boss fight difficulty by dividing the raid and requiring multitasking
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    As a main tank, I would hope that I wouldn't be stuck face tanking for all eternity. I'll be completely fine if that is the case but if some of my playtime can be dedicated to cc'ing or kiting, that would be really cool.

I love the summoner class in any format and if I wasn't leading a guild I would be playing it. I think it is very unlikely that summoners will be viable in having pets hold aggro and survive efficiently but fingers crossed that there is something more than just supporting with pet buffs or something lame.

Had a quick thought on something that might be really broken....but fun AF. Brood warden summons one very easy to kill Bug (so it can be focus fired down in pvp) that in turn summons up to three of its own "tank" bugs that taunt but die fairly easily as well. If it was able to consistently summon these tank bugs, they could taunt/hold aggro/die/get summoned again. Maybe make it so the main summon is on a longer cooldown and treat it like an "oh shit" spell. It can hold aggro on a boss for 20-30 seconds max to give the raid time to recover.
  • Options
    That sounds quite fun and u could add things like requiring flagging to damage it or making it really small or mobile.
    The summoner would need to have a partner to efficiently use the spell.
    I somehow instantly thought of steel shelled scarabs that multiply when killed.

I think they could also make summoner able to rotate summons taking hits and when properly rotated they wouldnt die. I think this would require summons to be somewhat smart. Imagine having 4 summons to move and to use taunt on and other skills with :D
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, we know that summoners are somewhat jack-of-all trades like with their summons. And adding a tank archtype should give augments that somehow increase survivabilty. So i guess it depends what you mean by off tank.

I don't think you'll be going in planning to be switching with the main tanks, but maybe you'll be able to pick up a mob that breaks free from the tanks, or someone just needs to hold aggro as a tanks being rezzed. So i guess technically off tanking?
  • Options
    Tank is not a support role. Who do you think the Boss is facing?

I agree with Biccus
    Biccus wrote: »
    I would like to tentatively say yes to off tanking or maybe dungeon tanking.

Probably more of an emergency or mob tank rather than a dedicated boss one.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I don't suppose we've any way of knowing, yet. We don't even know the Summoner skills.

And I've been asking them for years at this point for summoner info but NOPE.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    That's coming right after Nodes 3.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

Don't punish me have I not suffered long enough
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    JirueJirue Member
    edited May 2021
    There's some potentially interesting things you could do mechanic wise with a Summoner Tank. Two styles that come to my mind are the following:

Commander: Stands behind a summoned creature and gives direct commands on actions for a summon to perform to draw aggro. Maybe some minor support capabilities to enhance the summon or debilitate the enemy.

Diversion: Mostly builds the aggro directly but has capabilities to offload the aggro built up on to a summon when they need time to recover.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

Thought you enjoyed eternal suffering?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I always thought it would be cool to have a pet class that specializes in tanking.

Back in FFXI I played a lot of Beastmaster. It always made me imagine that tanking could be done by a pet class. In a modern MMO It could be done with a high skill cap from mircoing your pets movements/skills while managing your own movements/skills.

That said, I don't expect Ashes to put that much working into designing a single class out of 64. Such a concept would be a labor of love on the DEVs part to make sure that a class like that is viable or even playable by a human in high-end raid encounters.

My guess is that brood warden will just have a tanky pet that can last, but not replace a real tank. I base this speculation on nothing, but my own intuition.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options

Thought you enjoyed eternal suffering?

I do, when its inflicted on someone else. its never ok when its me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Poor poor Nagash
  • Options
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Poor poor Nagash

I blame the tomb robbers, coming to my tomb and taking my loot. we should kill them all :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    My guess is that brood warden will just have a tanky pet that can last, but not replace a real tank. I base this speculation on nothing, but my own intuition.

Yeah, I don’t want a tank summoner to replace a main tank. I just want to see this type of class fulfill tanking to some degree that is useful for a party or raid. Whether it’s holding aggro off a big threat generation ability in order to save the rez the tank or to save the tank from lots of damage. Or to have the let class hold aggro on trash mobs good enough for the dps to focus fire them down and go back to attacking the boss. Or maybe even a way to supper the tank with giving the main tank or party with some damage mitigation. Some folks have mentioned some similar ideas on this thread and I think that’s what the hope is.

I’ve just seen too many pet classes kind of fall off end game and only fall into the dps role effectively. The multiple secondary archetypes leads one to believe that this class has a chance to really bring something to the table based on what you’re wanting to assist in. Like what Khronus said below here.
    Khronus wrote: »
    Maybe make it so the main summon is on a longer cooldown and treat it like an "oh shit" spell. It can hold aggro on a boss for 20-30 seconds max to give the raid time to recover.
    Khronus wrote: »
    As a main tank, I would hope that I wouldn't be stuck face tanking for all eternity. I'll be completely fine if that is the case but if some of my playtime can be dedicated to cc'ing or kiting, that would be really cool.

They say that tanks will have three different options as far as play style in Ashes. Mitigation, Evasive and Control.
  • Options

I blame the tomb robbers, coming to my tomb and taking my loot. we should kill them all :D

You already have too many skele bros. No need to add to the number.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Kalv1441 wrote: »
    If not end game content, would this specific mix of archtypes be able to main tank dungeons? Or will the pet class be forever subjected to just simple experience grinding in mmos? I'm thinking of the pet classes from back in DAOC for example. Always an exp grinder/alt leveler.

What does the community think? I feel like the tanking spec summoner has this concern, as a healing offspec summoner will always be useful since spot healing goes a long way for the mana effiency for the main healers and DPS is always useful.

Obviously we know nothing of what will be, but my opinion is that summoner/tank should be able to tank most dungeon trash, and off-tank some 8-man dungeon bosses. Never the final bosses and certainly not the world bosses either.
    Tacualeon wrote: »
    Tank is not a support role. Who do you think the Boss is facing?

Now we're getting into semantics, but to me a tank is most definitely a support role. The tank supports the team by managing aggro, CCïng in some cases, and mitigating damage.
  • Options
    I've heard steven say in his updates multiple times that summoner isn't going to work the same way as every other archetype. As a summoner you will be able to fully do the role of your second archetype. Since it's a summoner. It will be the only class that can change archetypes and completely change their role to any other role in the game.

That said it will probably do the roles of their second archetype drastically differently than the actual archetype. It sounds like a class made to fill missing slots in parties and raids.

This is still subject to change, but I don't really see why it would. No other game attempted a class design as cool as this before. Although there are summoner classes in other games. They do not fill the same role as what I've heard this game's summoner will be able to.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Kalv1441Kalv1441 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I've heard steven say in his updates multiple times that summoner isn't going to work the same way as every other archetype. As a summoner you will be able to fully do the role of your second archetype. Since it's a summoner. It will be the only class that can change archetypes and completely change their role to any other role in the game.

That said it will probably do the roles of their second archetype drastically differently than the actual archetype. It sounds like a class made to fill missing slots in parties and raids.

This is still subject to change, but I don't really see why it would. No other game attempted a class design as cool as this before. Although there are summoner classes in other games. They do not fill the same role as what I've heard this game's summoner will be able to.

This is why the summoner seems the most interesting to me. I doubt that it’ll as good as the main archetypes in their primary roles but I definitely want to see the summoner be viable to fill what’s needed. I don’t want to be able to tank world bosses or major bosses. I just want to see the summoner be the second something of a group. Like I’ve said before, I think the goal of the class is not to take away the spotlight of primary classes but to bring viability and flexibility to groups when the time needs.

Im the type of person who usually fills the role that’s needed in a game, whether it with friends or not. This would be the ultimate experience if the game delivers what they want the summoner to be.
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Quote or it didn't happen.
  • Options

I don't just have skeletons I have, zombies, wraiths, wights, vampires, ghouls, spirits, bone constructs and many other beings working for me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options

I don't just have skeletons I have, zombies, wraiths, wights, vampires, ghouls, spirits, bone constructs and many other beings working for me

So basically all the seedy underbelly in Washington? Lol

• Options
    "I don't just have skeletons I have, zombies, wraiths, wights, vampires, ghouls, spirits, bone constructs and many other beings worshipping Me."
    There! I fixed it for You!!
  • Options
    "I don't just have skeletons I have, zombies, wraiths, wights, vampires, ghouls, spirits, bone constructs and many other beings worshipping Me."
    There! I fixed it for You!!

Not quite

Nagash is all and all are one in Nagash
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I sure hope summoner/tank can be viable end game (including tanking bosses). It's going to be a boring gameplay style if tank/tank is the only end game viable tank. I actually hope we have at least a few other */tank classes that can compete for end game viability.

I also hope that some of the tank/dps specs offer the ability to trade out survivability to be a viable dps role (when the augments are combined with the right gear as well).

I think it would be great to see augments for a */tank spec that reduces the damage of some key spells, but in turn cause the spells to increase survivability. (Examples could be: a spell with a 10 second cooldown does 50% less damage but causes the player to take 30% less damage for 12 seconds. Or perhaps an augments where 30% of the damage from some spells creates a temporary shield around the caster instead of doing 30% of the damage).

This would give us meaningful choices in our spec and more options/flavor to each class.
  • Options
    Tank/Summoner will be able to main tank at max level.
    It's unlikely that Summoner/Tank will be able to main tank at max level.
    Just as Tank/Cleric will not be viable as main healer at max level.