Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bioluminescent Tatoos

Has bioluminescent tatoos and hair dyes been discussed before? I think it would be awesome! I could imagine the experience when my guild friends and node friends see my character for the first time in the under realm. It would be like a fresh haircut hehe
Gamer Tags: Erock Darktide Asheron's Call & Erodge Vanilla WoW
I'm a Senior Software Dev. Love Video Games.
MMO preferences: PvP, PvE, Questing, Crafting (ALL)

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have zero objection to vibrant colors and things that glow in a fantasy world.

Most real cultures tried to use what ever was in their environment to make themselves stand out. Would be cool if the pigments to make such things were ungodlily rare. To the point that making a single armor out of glowing dye would cost as much as 20 sets of end game armor. Something to make a baller really stand out.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    ErodgeErodge Member
    I could see cosmetic packs, achievements, and crafted cosmetics be like the reactive skins in COD. They've made such a hit and I think an RPG could leverage it even further. Imagine beating a dragon and getting an animated dragon tatoo. When you stand still it does a flying animation on your arm and blows a fireball down your wrist. So many possibilities!
    Gamer Tags: Erock Darktide Asheron's Call & Erodge Vanilla WoW
    I'm a Senior Software Dev. Love Video Games.
    MMO preferences: PvP, PvE, Questing, Crafting (ALL)
  • Options
    Erodge wrote: »
    I could see cosmetic packs, achievements, and crafted cosmetics be like the reactive skins in COD. They've made such a hit and I think an RPG could leverage it even further. Imagine beating a dragon and getting an animated dragon tatoo. When you stand still it does a flying animation on your arm and blows a fireball down your wrist. So many possibilities!

I mean they could put it in achievements or cosmetic packs. My gut instinct is to put things in the economy. A game with a strong economy has a strong player base in my opinion. If the only way to get a vile of ink for a dragon tattoo was a chance drop on a high end raid boss, and you needed like 5 vials to make the tattoo. It would make having one super expensive and super special. Something people could dedicate months to earning instead of days or weeks. Those are the possibilities I am interested in.

We already have enough crap in the cash shop with the cosmetic outfits and mount skins.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    clone63clone63 Member
    Not something I want to see, unless it's pretty subdued or rare and smaller..
  • Options
    clone63 wrote: »
    Not something I want to see, unless it's pretty subdued or rare and smaller..

That is why I suggested the cost be astronomical. Something like historical Tyrian purple the romans made from sea snails. Tyrian purple dye might have felt the way a bioluminescent dye would feel to modern people. I know I would be impressed to see a bioluminescent shirt. Especially if I knew the materials to make it were astronomically hard to produce.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm a bit scared that this suggestion will turn players into glowing shiny bioluminescent monsters. As @Vhaeyne suggested I think this kind of stuff should be very rare and hard to get.
  • Options
    IMO. Bioluminescent tattoos (or other cosmetic items dyed) could be a thing so long as they take a lot of effort to obtain and maintain, limited to a handful of players on each server at any one time. I wouldn't want to see neon colors where ever I look.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    Sounds interesting. The underrealms seems to have a lot of bioluminescent stuff/mushrooms from what i remember. I don't see why it would be so rare. Again maybe it requires more than just that. Perhaps trade routes from the underrealm to the surface could be made, for that resource alone
  • Options
    DeeBeeDeeBee Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Yeah tatoo's sounds good just aslong as it aint to much over the top.
    giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fnhcrgri7scqf53yhgic6kfzhvnk9oronhq7tg7n2&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    Erodge wrote: »
    Has bioluminescent tatoos and hair dyes been discussed before? I think it would be awesome! I could imagine the experience when my guild friends and node friends see my character for the first time in the under realm. It would be like a fresh haircut hehe

You will suffer during the night with gankers ahahah
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps they would only glow when underground in Tulnarland.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A Bioluminescent lizard tulnar

*pacific rim soundtrack in the background*
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I have zero objection to vibrant colors and things that glow in a fantasy world.

Most real cultures tried to use what ever was in their environment to make themselves stand out. Would be cool if the pigments to make such things were ungodlily rare. To the point that making a single armor out of glowing dye would cost as much as 20 sets of end game armor. Something to make a baller really stand out.

120% this.
    And did you change your pic?
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

120% this.
    And did you change your pic?

Yes, slightly.
    TVMenSP.png