Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: Dungeon Creator

ViBunjaViBunja Member
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
I would like to see a guild feature in Ashes of Creation that allows Guild Leaders to create an instanced dungeon.
This feature could tie into breeding and taming creatures from the Animal Husbandry System. Where tamed and bred creatures could be used in this dungeon as enemies.
The dungeon can be accessed by members of the guild. If a guild desires, they can invite others to try themselves on the dungeon or even make it publicly accessible. There would be no experience gain and no player death penalty for dying within the dungeon.

The dungeon can function as means to train players, give them the opportunity of trying out new builds and group compositions, without having to fear the player death penalty and not having to fear ridicule from other players.

Some elements of this feature would be linked to the economy. For instance if you don't have creatures to place in the Dungeon, you could buy them from other players. Some guilds could even choose to focus entirely on taming, breeding and selling creatures for profit.

To unlock and maintain this feature for a guild, there should be minimum requirements and monthly cost associated with it.

Edited: I have made some significant changes to my post, as I collected my thoughts much better, this is the result of the long thinking process, and outside help from my friends. I decided to go with this, as this is how I truly feel, and should be implemented into the game add more depth to it

Comments

• Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds great, I like it!
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited May 2021
    The mighty Quest for the Epic Loot before it became a phone game. That's what I see when I read this and I would Love to see something like that.

Basically a game about building up a tower defense like dungeon with traps and monsters to protect your storage of loot from others. After you build up those defenses you have to beat your own dungeon and set a time to beat. Then when someone challenges your dungeon they have to complete the dungeon in the allotted time, destroy specific mines, and get to the end of the dungeon to gain 1 star each. The more stars you get the more loot steal at the end of the dungeon.

here's a goofy one someone made with just chickens.

https://youtu.be/Zkjv4Kl6Z14
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2021
    Beat the shit out of creatures you tamed (having beaten the shit out of), and then heal them so they can join you again and get their shit beaten out of.

But in all seriousness, might be hard to implement.

As long as these custom dungeons offer ZERO rewards and xp, not a bad idea.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    EQ2 did basically exactly this over a decade ago.

At first they had experience rewards, and so people made dungeons with masses of very weak mobs that players could one shot, and people were using them to level up AE classes in a matter of hours (as opposed to weeks, at the time).

So the developers removed the experience reward.

While this is something that seems like a good idea in theory, in practise it is kind of pointless.

Adding this to the game will take up a LOT of developer time (we are talking about creating tools rather than content - as opposed to the theory that there is nothing to create), very few people will bother running these dungeons, and even fewer will ever bother creating one.

To me, after having played probably the only MMO that actually has this implemented, I have to say that I don't consider it to be worth it.
  • Options
    ViBunjaViBunja Member
    Beat the shit out of creatures you tamed (having beaten the shit out of), and then heal them so they can join you again and get their shit beaten out of.

But in all seriousness, might be hard to implement.

As long as these custom dungeons offer ZERO rewards and xp, not a bad idea.
    Basically, Pokemon.

I wouldn't say it's hard to create, since Everquest did that, and guess who is in the dev team? People who helped created Everquest.
  • Options
    I think it would be a cool unlock for max stage nodes of a specific type than guild unlocks though. So that it wouldn't flood with dumb dungeons and that it cost a certain resource so that people work together to make good dungeons. The company themselves would have to sign off on the dungeons and put the monsters/bosses in them. So that you can't make stuff like boss farming dungeons that would break the balance of the game.

So this way would limit how many the community can make so that the company would not get overflowed with them so that the potential idea could work.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    ViBunjaViBunja Member
    edited May 2021
    I don't know anymore
  • Options
    ViBunjaViBunja Member
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I think it would be a cool unlock for max stage nodes of a specific type than guild unlocks though. So that it wouldn't flood with dumb dungeons and that it cost a certain resource so that people work together to make good dungeons. The company themselves would have to sign off on the dungeons and put the monsters/bosses in them. So that you can't make stuff like boss farming dungeons that would break the balance of the game.

So this way would limit how many the community can make so that the company would not get overflowed with them so that the potential idea could work.

I agree, I'd say this would have to be endgame content. For serious guilds that look into beating hardcore games. Which is why I said it could be as an admission exam for recruits, and also why I said guild leaders instead of just any other player.
  • Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited May 2021
    ViBunja wrote: »

I agree, I'd say this would have to be endgame content. For serious guilds that look into beating hardcore games. Which is why I said it could be as an admission exam for recruits, and also why I said guild leaders instead of just any other player.

The guild leader idea simply has the problem of people making their own guild at the minimum size just to make dungeons. Even if it had prerequisites that are somewhat hard to get. It's a major flaw in it.

If it were tied to a node you could have the mayor appoint someone to make the dungeons. They could also have a system to remove the dungeon master if they don't like his dungeons without having to burn the entire city to the ground. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    ViBunjaViBunja Member
    edited May 2021

The guild leader idea simply has the problem of people making their own guild at the minimum size just to make dungeons. Even if it had prerequisites that are somewhat hard to get. It's a major flaw in it.

If it were tied to a node you could have the mayor appoint someone to make the dungeons. They could also have a system to remove the dungeon master if they don't like his dungeons without having to burn the entire city to the ground. xD
    Just one dungeon per guild.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2021
    also people who helped develop EQ2 are working in AoC, people who made that dungeon are in this dev team, so they could probably make it better.
    Indeed they are.

People that saw a whole lot of time and effort go in to it in EQ2, and then saw very few people actually use it (I wouldn't be surprised if more developer time went in to it than total player time spent with it).

What I don't see those develoeprs doing is saying "hey, you know what would make this thing that wasn't worth our time to implement even better? Restricting who could use it to less than 20% of the games population!".

Again, the idea is good in theory - it just isn't something that most MMO players consider to be the best use of their time in game and so would largely go under-used.
  • Options
    It's a cool idea for most game genres except MMOs.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't like it for Ashes. I want to keep people in the open world fighting for their lives.

@Taleof2Cities said any genres except MMOs. I am a bit more lenient in my prospective than this chap. I think it is a fine idea for games that don't have open world PvX as a part of their main gameplay loop.

It would be a fantastic Idea for FFXIV,WOW,GW2, or ESO.

It would be a disaster for Crowfall ,Ashes, or Mortal Online 2.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ohhhh can we also be dungeon keepers
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    It could be sooo cool OMG :o
  • Options
    AndyAndy Member
    edited May 2021
    It would be cool. Be too hard to implement.
    I would prefer AoC to not "waste" time on this. They still have so much to do.
  • Options
    AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Andy wrote: »
    It would be cool. Be too hard to implement.
    I would prefer AoC to not "waste" time on this. They still have so much to do.

Definitely with Andy on this one. We don't need more systems that will just further clog the pipeline right now. Maybe in an expansion but not now.