Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

English item names available in other languages ingame.

FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
AoC is going to be translated into several languages: English, French, German and Russian at launch and Italian, Polish and Spanish in the future.

In other MMORPGs I have played, I have noticed that sometimes communicating with other players who are not playing in English is complicated, because the names of the objects are very different and translating them manually can lead to confusion.

For example in BDO the translation for Memory Fragment to Spanish is "Recuerdo Efímero". The problem is that if you translate "Recuerdo Efímero" to English it literally means Fleeting Memory.

I was playing BDO for a long time in English and when they add the Spanish version I tried it since is my native language but I decided to continue playing it in English because the translations of the objects changed too much.

My suggestion is add an option if you are not playing AoC in English to be able to show the English version of the items in some way. Maybe under the real name when you drag your mouse over the item (example below) or pressing a key to see the item in English.

Q7mgvxm.jpg

Since servers won't be language locked this could help communication between players who are playing in different languages and maybe is not hard for the devs to implement something like this.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Very good idea. It helps remove confusion between languages and allows for better communication. Hell it might even teach people a little bit of other languages as well. I would suggest it work for any of the languages tbh. X language is chosen as the players standard, and there is an option that can be turned on that will show the translated names for other selected languages.
    Like if the node you play in is heavily stacked with English, Spanish, and Russian speakers you check those on and boom you can talk about items without confusion.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    KabanKaban Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I remember in WoW whenever you link an item in different language it's seen like that on the chat however clicking on the link automatically shows your target language version. Also please do not provide Polish translation. Trust me, it's better for the community that way.
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Very good idea. It helps remove confusion between languages and allows for better communication. Hell it might even teach people a little bit of other languages as well. I would suggest it work for any of the languages tbh. X language is chosen as the players standard, and there is an option that can be turned on that will show the translated names for other selected languages.
    Like if the node you play in is heavily stacked with English, Spanish, and Russian speakers you check those on and boom you can talk about items without confusion.

After years of gaming in English I'm much more familiar with some objects in that language than my own, it's not as if specific armours and weapons (or their parts) were used in modern daily speech. Could help me learn my own language better, or at least put the game interface in it without causing to much confusion.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !