Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Freehold Questions from a former Passive observer

For years I've been keeping up with AoC on a more passive level. Just checking the monthly update email and watching a youtube update from time to time. Fast forward a bit later and I really am loving what I see, and my excitement has been reignited to say the least. Somethings were discussed, but a lot of the content I checked was from a year to 9 months ago. So I'll ask them all that I have in case they've changed from that time.

I've always been interested in 4 things most in games
-Housing/Furnishing
-Custom outfits/ Fashion
-Crafting
-R.P

So I've seen a bit about Freeholds but can't seem to find too much. Freeholds are probably something I will be most focused on and I have a lot of questions.

-As I understand, there is a progression with a freehold. How do we level it up? Is it going to be collect xyz pieces and it levels up or pay xyz amount and it levels up?

-Does the blueprint we get for a freehold a set skeleton? Meaning if a wall is here you cannot move it, or can you adjust things on the buildings? Can the style be changed? Can colors be changed?

-One you place down the buildings/ blueprints is it instantly built or is there a wait time (like a building time) for the buildings? Other than the node siege effects, is there

-For buildings, can you adjust all the furniture inside? Do you have to get Furniture or is there going to be base furniture with the purchase? Is there a limit to how many pieces of Furniture you can put into the building?

-If you can customize the locations of furniture and things, how do you get furniture? Can you craft it? Can you purchase from NPCs? Can you find them out in the world?

-For Furniture you can place, what kind of customization is there? Can you choose the racial style? Color? Can you resize? Can you rotate? Can you sink furniture out of grid or into one another? (For example clipping plates to a cylindrical item to make a toy train decoration.)

-With the businesses, are we able to have custom flags or signs or a logo. One to put on all the business buildings and children business?

-Is there a limit to how many people can be on/ in a freehold at one time? For example in ESO the inn rooms can only have 2, and the biggest homes can hold 25 players.

-As R.P is a big thing for me personally, I am also curious if there is a time/ skybox cycle. Does it change from Night to Day and vice versa? Is it changed along with the external environment? Will it have weather changes and are those linked to the external environment? (And by environment I mean the node and location it is placed.)

-I've seen that you an hire NPC guards after sieges. Can you have other NPCs around the Freehold? Like for the businesses, tavern workers, or NPCs that will collect your crops or a grounds keeper, maid for house upkeep.

-If your freehold is next to a river or ocean and you have a boat/ship, will you be able to have a dock that houses your boat/ship? And if you have a caravan can you place those in your freehold? And if you can, are they still usable or would they be static versions?

-Are mounts displayable? If I have a few mounts is there a section that they can be displayed in? Or can they roam around?

-Do freeholds disappear when you sign off? If they do what happens is someone puts their freehold where yours is and you sign back in with them on? Do you have to move your freehold or is that spot locked out?

As of right now, I think that's my mind explosion of questions about freeholds that I have. And like I mentioned, some things may have been answered but a lot of the things that I could find are from about a year and things could have changed.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    We don't have all the answers, but we do have some.

There won't be any limit on how many people can be in a freehold, for example, as there is no way to enforce that.

There will be placable items in the game. It is likely there will be many different items to chose from - hundreds to start, increasing up to thousands - we do not know how placing it all will be handled, but it is likely acquired via different means (crafting being the main means).

There will be a day/night cycle, and the game will have weather that has an effect on the environment - though we are not currently sure to what degree.

There will be items in the game that you can place any image on. You can probably use such an item as a sign.

Freeholds do not disappear when you sign off. They probably would if you do not pay your tax, however.

Most of the rest of your questions we don't have answers to yet.
  • Options
    ZeshioZeshio Member
    edited June 2021
    A few more answers:

Freeholds will require a plot certificate, a blueprint, and materials to build.

Players buying housing can also pay more for pre-furnished sets, but we don't know if that also applies to freeholds. Given that a town house is already in a certain format, it would make more sense that town buildings could be furnished upon purchase but your own freehold would be completely empty. They have promised the ability to save/import furniture layouts, given how easily it may be for folks to lose their apartment or other housing from sieges.

"Players will not be able to alter structural aspects such as windows and walls." It would make sense that freeholds are already pre-built with a standard skeleton given that they have freehold skins for them. There hasn't been any other updates to freehold upgrades yet.
  • Options
    Thank you both for all the answers! Hopefully we get more answers as time goes. I really like that idea about the images being imported so we could probably make those into signs!
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am hoping that taverns on freeholds can have a NPC hired to be a server so that they can be open all the time, serving food and spirits and running games, not just when the owner is present. I expect that this will be the case otherwise taverns will seldom be open!

You can name your tavern, I think. I doubt that they will let us name the NPCs, though, given the types of names people would come up with for the barmaids and bartenders.
  • Options
    Very true, I wouldn't trust naming to players either lol. I think it would be great to see some life within the freeholds, even when you're not there. So if I visit a friend's or guildees freehome, it doesn't feel like it's abandoned even if they are offline. It used to be that way in ESO and I'm really glad we have houseguests now that have personality and dialogue. And they even introduced Companions this year that also can go in your house. They feel way more homey now.
  • Options
    Kalv1441Kalv1441 Member
    edited June 2021
    @DezzyWezzyTV

Since you’re interested in RP, have you chekced out this unofficial Ashes RP discord server? I’ve met a lot of friendly people there and i’ve had many great conversations that are ongoing about the game. Feel free to check it out

https://discord.gg/XHktvmDq
  • Options
    @Kalv1441
    I haven't, but I will definitely check it out! Thank you for the heads up on it!