Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Selling Cash shop cosmetics/models as 3d printable .stl files = profit.

Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
3d printers are becoming a cheaper more prevalent hobby. I just got 1 and am having a blast, then i had the eureka moment.

DnD, Wargaming, Model painting, kit bashing etc.

Intrepid themselves I am sure are fully aware of this hobby industry...No Other video game seems to do this...
I believe they already have other IP in development using the Lore of Ashes of Creation.

This could have massive revenue potential. As some people might be more inclined to purchase cash shop items if they are also real world assets.

you can take the idea to the bank intrepid, I can't see there being much of resource overlap. You could be the first game to offer such a service.

Comments

• Options
    Possessing a Prussa i3, yours truly would be *VERY* excited to see the character model files able to be converted into print-able files!

As someone who doesn't have much practice in designing models for print, it'd be great to be able to buy or download the models. It definitely wouldn't have any effect upon the in-game economy, and could be a creative revenue source for Intrepid.

Anything that helps them keep the *required* player cost at only the monthly subscription and still isn't P2W is certainly a bonus in my book!

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I understand 3d printing its still a fairly new hobby avenue...But not that new...
    I am currently creating my own custom mini army after discovering OnepageRules
    https://onepagerules.com/
    I was always interesting in taking up the tabletop wargaming path as a kid seeing whitedwarf publications in my local small town news agency. Since then though GamesWorkshop (other games/IP are available its just the majority will associate 40k with table top wargames) is not that consumer friendly IMO.
    As much as i like thier lore/IP and aesthetic, the corporate profiteering has turned me off and always prevented me from developing what is coined as a "plastic crack" addiction.

But I digress, After finding the onepagerules' more open source and community driven approach and the cost of 3d Resin printers dropping while the quality of prints improving, the hobby for me is approachable.

To get an idea how much the hobby has expanded just take a look at.
    https://www.myminifactory.com/
    and for people who don't wont to buy a printer and materials their are 3rd parties doing the service as well as distributors.
    https://www.thingiverse.com
    https://www.etsy.com for example.

It not just war games though, some people just like to paint models and make dioramas. Intrepid could get on board and have monthly model painting contests and things like that...All community builders and involvement.

There is a possible untapped market that no other MMO or 'video game developer' for that matter has tapped into.

Being the first to offer such a product could be a massive PR, IP advertisement point.

No affiliations with the website links, however I am a OnePageRules patreon supporter for disclosure.

• Options
    bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited September 2021
    Companies like Games Workshop and Wizards of the Coast don't sell stl files for a reason. They make way more money selling the official models than allowing people to download easily distributable files for people to print for free at home instead. If they would make more money by selling stl files instead of making official models, then I'm sure they would. In fact, the aforementioned companies do not want any stl files of their ip to exist, because they actively dmca people who make and upload them.
  • Options
    bigepeen wrote: »
    Companies like Games Workshop and Wizards of the Coast don't sell stl files for a reason. They make way more money selling the official models than allowing people to download easily distributable files for people to print for free at home instead. If they would make more money by selling stl files instead of making official models, then I'm sure they would. In fact, the aforementioned companies do not want any stl files of their ip to exist, because they actively dmca people who make and upload them.

True
    But I don't see intrepid getting into the miniatures business
  • Options
    A "download your character as stl file" is a feature that i would be happy to spend cash, in fact, much more than any cosmetic in game.
  • Options
    This sounds great to me - i would certainly pay for the stl and colour the 3D printed model it with great pleasure.
    [Fleo Verum] Carolus Dynamicus - Py'rai - Rogue+Fighter
  • Options

The Problem for GW now is 3D resin printers are now cost effective and the software is easy enough to use.
    For the cost a GW 1000pt army you could buy a printer a bottle of resin+sundries and still have spare change.

GW has gone down the corporate propriety route which has basically pushed out new blood entering the hobby and cashing in on dedicated whales.

The quality of stl files out there are comparable perhaps even better, A personal subjective matter course.

I am not denying the quality or aesthetic of GW though...but their refusal to adapt to a changing market [probably wont pan out long term.

There are even 3d printable castable resins so not even the metal cast miniatures are an anchor point.

I think I saw someone compare the cost a 40k Titan and the cost of a printer+resin and print out a Titan* the later option was cheaper...

• Options

True

Why don't you think so? You can buy official collectables from Blizzard.
  • Options

True

Why don't you think so? You can buy official collectables from Blizzard.

I just look at blizzards models an 18" premium statue of a known character is $400. some chibbi thing was $60...

That's a bit different to a $5 .stl and 20c worth of resin to make a 28mm figure.

Same issue as GW...proprietary clamp on IP, the irony is Blizzard was licensed by GW to make a warhammer game during development the contract fell through and Blizzard rebranded the project into warcraft.

The thing is 1 way builds a community, the other just milks profit from an already existing fan base.

• Options
    Anyway Pretty sure Intrepid plans to have a more physical merchandise presence.

The idea is offering in game models/cash shop cosmetics as purchased downloadable .stl files...that's all the premise is.
  • Options
    The idea is offering in game models/cash shop cosmetics as purchased downloadable .stl files...that's all the premise is.

I mean, I like the premise. Hell, I wish Games Workshop, Blizzard, etc... all sold official stl files of their ip. That would be amazing. I could probably get most of them for free if they did, because someone will usually end up uploading them somewhere. I'm just saying that it might be a tad unrealistic, because every other company knows that it's way more profitable to sell the physical models themselves, or licenses to make physical models, than to sell stl files.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    That's the whole distribution at a fair price vs piracy issue. What you are generally doing when purchasing a marketed .stl file is the appreciation and support for the artist/s effort, in the knowledge they are likely to keep making more product...

There is already an extensive 'black market' for GW stl files.
    This is why GW has cracked down on any 3d printed content used in their 'gamespace' the have drawn a line.

Anything that is not approved by GW gets yeeted. Like I said I like the lore and aesthetic but don't support GW propitiatory gate keeping in what was once a community driven hobby space. They are not same entity that existed 30years ago.

3D printing is here to stay and is improving exponentially. Refusing to accept and adapt to a changing market won't bode well.

intrepid could outsource an approved 3D printing firm and make official* models for people who don't want to invest in personal 3d printing equipment. but that's more overheads.

The MMO is the primary product where the majority of IP will be kept safe* what happens outside of this space should not be of major concern for Intrepid...if their content gets shared around even in a 'blackmarket' way it's still free advertising.

Selling a cosmetic/model with an .stl attachment is just a better marketable product. That might draw in more players who are not interested in 1 or the other product to play and stay committed to the game.

• Options
    bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited September 2021
    I'm just saying that it's unrealistic for companies to do this. RIAA fought music piracy so hard because they made boatloads of money before piracy became mainstream.

Take the 1990s. The music records industry now makes a tiny, tiny fraction compared to what it was making before. No company realistically wants to voluntarily put themselves in this position prematurely, before they are forced to by the market.

I think that 3d printers are becoming more popular, but not everyone has one. Also, 3d printers are still kind of niche, whereas almost everyone had a way to play music. Going from downloading music to playing it is braindead easy, whereas 3d printing a physical model is probably still a little intimidating for most people, and a little more technical if you want to get the best results because there's a bunch of ways to support voids in the model, nozzle size, etc... So it's not really a completely 1:1 comparison now, but I do think it will eventually get very close.

3d printing is still such a niche thing that I just don't think that any company would seriously sell stl files to use it as a marketing draw. I agree that it would be nice though if they actually did it.
  • Options
    I will say this is they have all the files in a printable format... It would be a cool side gig for them to sell miniatures. To be able to have your character literally printed out to use for your next table top game. Maybe some of their monster models too...
  • Options
    there are companies that will print stl files for you and ship them out. Intrepid could just form a business arrangement if that was necessary.
    I agree not everyone has or wants a 3d printer, but i think general adoption isn't that far off.

there are currently over 4000 patreon members on Onepagerules with the primary rewards being stl files. and the wargamming hobbyists are adopting the technology rapidly..gaining average of 500 new members per month...

When 4k mono panels became available at a reasonable price I finally invested ...

I don't think its as niche as you believe it is. I think the opportunity to be the first video game publisher/studio to offer such a product would be a huge talking point and make the cash shop far more appealing, especially to the older MMO crowd who are not fond of cash shops in video games.

Printers are getting into the sub $200 range.

Intrepid doesn't have to, but I think its a massive profit potential with added benefits.
  • Options
    If it were such a massive profit, do you think that all companies such as Blizzard and Games Workshop, didn't run a market analysis on this, and decided to spend millions on lawyers instead of just selling stl files, which you're implying is more profitable?

I highly doubt that it is more profitable, or else one of these companies that sells models would have done it already. It seems obvious that it is currently way more profitable to either directly sell official models, or license out rights for official models.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I actually love this idea.

I would totally buy a snail boi .STL for my nurgle army.

TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    If it were such a massive profit, do you think that all companies such as Blizzard and Games Workshop, didn't run a market analysis on this, and decided to spend millions on lawyers instead of just selling stl files, which you're implying is more profitable?

I highly doubt that it is more profitable, or else one of these companies that sells models would have done it already. It seems obvious that it is currently way more profitable to either directly sell official models, or license out rights for official models.

GW/Blizzard Activision are a locked in corporate entities who want 100% control have shareholders and dividends to maintain they are proprietary focused and anti opensource. They probably do have a bunch of lawyers and number crunchers and i bet those lawyers and number crunches want to keep their employment positions...well maybe not in Blizzards case.

GW/Blizzard are set in old ways and they will fall aside. the hobby and technology is making moves with or without them.

When Ashes launches in what 2-3 years? 3d printers will be likely sub $100 and maybe you wont have 1 but you'll likely know someone who does. There a dedicated 3d printing YT channels with over 200k subscribers...

Its only going to get bigger and more mainstream.

Ashes has an opportunity to be the first to offer such a product that is associated to an already established IP and MMORPG.

Im just sharing the idea. I think they could make a profit with additional benefits.

They have a cash shop and technically .stl files are "just cosmetics"

• Options
    I'm not saying that I don't like the idea, I'm just pointing out that it would undercut any official models or licensing of official models.

I'd be nice if Intrepid did it out of the goodness of their hearts, but it's just wishful thinking tbh. Do I wish that they would not have a cash shop in Ashes? Yes, but I'm not going to argue that some other model is actually more profitable in the current market, and that they should be doing that instead. I'm still a realist, and operate in realm of reality. They're a company, and they will do what is obviously more profitable in the current market. If you honestly believe that selling stl files will be more profitable than licensing or selling official models in the current market, then you're simply not a realist.
  • Options
    I doubt pre painted official models would be effected if intrepid would offer them. most domestic hobby printers are not capable of large to very large 1 piece objects.

Minis and terrain objects that are linked to already established cash shop cosmetic offerings is what I am more implying towards.
  • Options
    Why not do what heroforge has done for minis, and have AOC print them for us, instead of having the files be purchasable.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Why not do what heroforge has done for minis, and have AOC print them for us, instead of having the files be purchasable.

If you are into models to the point that you are going to buy and paint your figures. You are really doing yourself a disservice by not owning at least a cheap resin printer.

Heroforge is just a middle man service up charging people for something that is cheap to do at home. There was a time when resin printing was new and expensive when Heroforge made sense, but these days there is no reason not to print your stuff.

That said, my main reason for preferring my own prints to official kits or a service like Heroforge is that I can load a build plate up with a bunch of the same mini and have no fear of making mistakes. If I want to experiment with paint styles and kitbashes without fear of messing up an expensive mini.

A related rabbit hole is Anime garage kit figures. The existence of cast resin copies of figures that hobbyists can paint has not brought down the popularity or value of official figures. Some people really like assembling, customizing, and painting their figures over just buying them.

TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    As Stated Intrepid could outsource a dedicated mini product. but that creates logistics issues.

3d resin printers are getting cheap and are global.

Intrepid studios has the modeling talent and enough digital world product to offer 3mf/stl files direct to the consumer without any counterparty risks.

The premise is making the current cash shop digital asset offerings more palatable to a wider consumer base.

Being the first Video game MMORPG to offer such a product would be a massive PR boost.