Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting and armor and weapon styles

Ok so personally i know that intrepid has seemingly made it clear they want to make armor work on a race basis where your race determines armor and weapons look. personally i think this is a terrible idea and especially for crafters it will make things far worse with personally i think that limiting players ability to customize their appearance will only hurt peoples ability to play the game. Now im not just gonna say that the current proposed system sucks wihtout offering an alternative with personally i think that the way armor and weapons apperance should work is through a style system like in ESO.

What do i mean by a 'style system'? well what i mean is that for someone to craft a specifc armor appearance or weapon appearance like say orcish armor or elvish armor they need to first posses a Orc style page or scroll or book or whatever they choose to call it. This orc style page would work like a single use consumable that once used offers the player the ability to craft in the orcish style so long as they had the correct style matierial to the armor or wepaon in said style. I think with a system like this epecially with the possibility to make perhaps character bound style pages as dungeon, raid, and world boss drops meaning that crafters may need to do specific boss fights to get the ability to crafter armor from that boss with than i feel that any character bound style page like this needs to also be limited in terms of it can only be used with the resource drops from the corresponding boss. I think that should be how it works so as to make it so when you see someone walking around wearing raid items that they got from doing a specifc world boss or dungeon in a way it actually is a badge of that persons progression that they did that dungeon and either got the resourcese to make that armor piece or they got the resources AND the style page as a crafter whos build may not even be optimal for harder content making it all the more impressive.

Beyond the bragging rights this type of system provides i feel it also makes crafters all the more needed as crafters can go around and in a way sell their services to other players and market themselves as being one of the few to be able to make certain items for other people or being able to tout the raids and dungeons they have done to show their skill at the game. Really i think that the current idea of armor and weapon appearance being 100% based on and locked by your race is going to hurt all sides of the community and im not the only one who feels this way as i have seen and talked to many others who think similarly and while i understand that i Steven has gone on record saying he wants to stick with the current system i feel that its going to hurt the game and while many people will still play it it will only result in people having their taste soured just a bit by what i feel is a pointlessly limiting and ultimatly wasted potential of a system.

Real quick as a side note is that i would be fine with costumes existing so long as they are locked as a all or nothing kinda like ESO's costumes. (i do not mean the outfit system from eso as that hurts the style system to the point that the style system may as well not exist and so a outfit system SHOULD NOT exist if a style system does) Really so long as costumes are something that will always be 100% recognizable as a costume and something either payed for or perhaps earned through ha achievement or something than im am moderatle ok with that although i honestly think that that shouldnt be a thing as it makes the armor and weapons people wear and have feel pointless somewhat because aside from the neceesity of doing a raid boss to get the style page to make the armor or weapon there really is no reason at that point to do it beyond that and there is no drive to get awesome raid gear because you love its look and perhaps it also works for your build or perhaps for some people it could even be like fashion souls but instead it would be fashion ashes of making the coolest looking dude or dudette no matter what the armor and weapons offer stat wise purely because you wanna look badass. :D

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor

Weapons and armor are not race locked, but armor will take on a racial appearance.[45][46]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor_smithing

Crafters are able to influence what their crafted items will look like.[5][9]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Costumes

Costumes are available for purchase from the cosmetic store.

Costumes don't have a level restriction.[3]
    Costumes are not gender locked.[4]
    Costumes are one piece outfits that cover an entire (gear) set.[2][5][6][7]

Full costumes do not mix and match pieces.[7] – Steven Sharif
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.