Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Dünir Race - Feb 2022

Comments

• Options
    I'd like to see more rugged looking dwarves, but I view them as a mountain/cavern dwelling race. I think Steven mentioned during the stream about arm/body hair and I think that should be a thing, I dont imagine dwarves using laser hair removal :D
    I think of solemn looks of a tough life, clan runes, scars from clan squabbles and absolutely zero table manners, not the baby faced females like the above.
    w9aa773ktwxd.gif
  • Options
    MindForkMindFork Member
    edited February 2022
    This is just excellent and exceeds all expectations! I never played dwarf, but this guy looks so awesome, that I would give it a try!
  • Options
    captivatedcaptivated Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perfect! That guy on your pictures, thats gonna be me! Just please keep enough options to let the noses look different. But overall you nailed the Dunir perfectly!
  • Options
    HjerimHjerim Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    Best representation of a fantasy dwarf that I have ever seen in a game. Big applause from here.

Perfect design!
  • Options
    DeeBeeDeeBee Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Ladies and gentlemen for me THIS is what a dwarf should look like , so happy they listened to the feedback. Well done.
    giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fnhcrgri7scqf53yhgic6kfzhvnk9oronhq7tg7n2&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    To me, it just feels like the female Dunir is actually closer to body type with what I expect the female Nikuan to look like.

I want the female Dunir to be closer to Warhammer's Female Dwarves:
    https://imgur.com/a/CdEIXAv

They're seemingly built bigger, thicker and just overall convey more power for the space they're taking up. typical female dwarves (Which is the Dunir) should almost be motherly in a sense. The female Dunir that's here is quite skinny, toned and honestly to me is just closer to what the Nikuan is supposed to be.
  • Options
    I really like the classic dwarf look you have gone for with this, I would say the woman could have a stronger jaw and less feminine qualities to make her a bit more sturdy looking and big boned - I like the beard option for the woman idea that someone said 😊 (Gimli?) haha
  • Options
    The male model is pretty good but the female model needs work. The face just doesn't fit in with the look at all - the cheekbones are too angular and the nose and mouth are just weird.

The body is mostly ok except it needs work in the chest area. The boobs seem to have an unnatural curve (or really lack thereof), mostly on the top side of the chest and boobs. Right now it seems like from her neck down the chest is just a straight line downwards and that's not really how boobs work - there's a bit of a natural curve that should be there, and they need to sit differently. Who knows maybe it's just a lighting or angle issue and they'll look fine in game, but from the pictures that's what I see.

If you can fix that, and improve the face, this model will be totally fine.
  • Options
    perfect
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited February 2022
    The overall physical model looks awesome. I do want to see the side by side comparisons for relative height and build. Also, looking forward to seeing the many beard options. Emphasis on many.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Hrothmir_RuneforgeHrothmir_Runeforge Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love the progress, Makes me excited to build my family tree in the character creator!
    Thane Hrothmir Runeforge, Son of Orik, Son of Hrothgar, Current Runeforger and Thane of Clan Runeforge
    z6n6wteiyu0z.png
    Dünhold Discord
    Dünhold Website
  • Options
    WizzyMcNastyWizzyMcNasty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the direction the Dunir are headed in. I was wondering if we get to keep our fun like jump flip from Alpha 1? The flip was my favorite part.

The face structure for me on the female is a bit softer than I imagine the Dunir should have but it works as a one of the softer choices.

When I think Dunir my mind automatically goes to the blocky corners in the furniture and architecture. I’ve imagined that the chonk factor in those come from the chonky, angled faces of their people. Though a huge portion of their faces are covered in grand intricately braided and jeweled bearding.

The bearding will be my deciding factor on which race or gender I will play. If the females can’t grow as thick of a beard as the males my heart will hurt, as it’s already a part of my role playing here in the Ashes community. I just hope we have an array of choices when it comes to bearding for both genders.

I imagine a Dunir who has a patchy beard might be a bit of an outcast in a Dunir society. After years of torment about patchy bearding, from her blood family a young Dunir sets out into the world to find her family of choice.
  • Options
    Slightly longer and beefier legs would make them perfect IMO

Also female dwarves' faces feel more stylized than the male's
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The male Dunir updated look great. However I feel like the female Dunir fell behind as it looks very similar to what was available in the alpha.

The female Dunir presented looks a lot more like Nikua in terms of proportions to me. I would like their overall body ratio to be closer to the male Dunir. I do like the thicker hips in terms of proportions. If they were able to have shoulders as broad as their hips, I think that would get closer feeling more like Dunir.

My final critique is that if we compare the main male an female Dunir images, currently the female looks much smaller compared to the male over all. I don't mind a little disparity, but the current one feels far too drastic and is the aspect other than the shoulders that makes me feel 'this feels like a Nikua'.

I again wish the team luck in balancing the difference in look between Dunir and Nikua women. Given the current start line it looks like it may be difficult to balance without them looking too similar while also not making the Nikua women looking far too diminutive than I'd like.

P.S. Both Dunir and Nikua female dwarves should totally get access to beards. The one female dwarf beard we had access to in the alpha was spot on. I loved it, and used it in support of the design concept. If you have styles that are that clean trimmed and streamlined with an emphasis on beautiful braids and accessories, I think you'll see the occasional player using them. I'd love a body hair toggle/slider for all races and sexes.
    Small print leads to large risks.
  • Options
    EmberstoneEmberstone Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I like how the male face got more refined. If i wouldn't know about the races, i would classify it as a dwarf at first glance.
    ftcm67938qg3.gif
  • Options
    GeronimoGeronimo Member
    edited February 2022
    9/10 for the male, I think the proportions are great, but what do I have to drink to put some hair on that chest?

6/10 on the female, it's OK I guess, but she seems like a cartoon compared to the male.
  • Options
    LOVE the look and style of the Dunir! We haven't seen all the customization options but as many other have said, bigger, longer, more elaborate beard options is a must! I've seen a few suggestions to add longer legs for the males but personally, I think the proportions look good as they are.

Oh suggestion that I would really love to see, is chunky/fat dwarven body option. I love the physique of the Dwarves as they are shown here, but would also love to play a chunky looking, Dwarf as well.
  • Options
    Gernis_QuestGernis_Quest Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thats my Race . This dwarves looks absolut amazing. We need Beards with Rings and Jewellery.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    For everyone asking for slightly longer and beefier legs and for longer beards, I think that should come with character creator and not a change to the model, IMO it looks amazing, and customization should do the rest since it's a matter of personal preference ;)
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    BR0CKBR0CK Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    I really like what you've done with the male Dunir, making his face look more "rugged" & "realistic" for lack of better adjectives. The definition in the cheek bones, and the bushy eyebrows are a really nice touch.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    Although I love the direction of the male Dunir, I think the female Dunir face feels too "cartoony" for my tastes. I think the body proportions look good however.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Dünir race?
    See 2nd answer
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    These Dwarves look like a good and proper improvement from before. These dwarves look like they actually have a diet of beef and beer and not whatever fake soy milk they were on in alpha. It's been pointed out here already but the Male Dwarf looks like he has skipped leg day. That and neither male or female seem to squat cause their butts are paper flat. On Fem Dwarf, I don't know if it's just the preview or simply me but the arms look ... off. Closest I can get it to is either the biceps or the hands. Sorry if that sounds vague. Her face also seems out of proportion like its closer to a Hobbit than a dwarf. But overall Fantastic Work. Looking foward to seeing these in motion.
  • Options
    renderedasunderrenderedasunder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?:

I really like the bulkiness that the new Dunir art direction is looking towards! I think overall, the muscle density is a lot closer to the traditional Dwarf image, which is a good thing in my book. Imagining my Fire Dunir swinging away at a forge is a lot easier with the new look, and the dunir architecture as a whole has ALWAYS looked stellar. Props to every team involved with the art direction for the race itself, and the visuals they bring to the world of Verra.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?

As others haved touched on, I thing the male Dunir could have slightly sturdier legs, if the torso is that densely packed, then it would be neat, but by no means a dealbreaker if not, if the legs followed a little closer to that. On top of which, I would have expected to see the female Dunir being a little closer in musculature structure to the males. Personally, I don't think that males need to hog the muscle mass in every race out there, and it can be rewarding for some players to see other depictions of female body types. That being said, I still prefer this direction overall compared to before, and I am ecstatic to see the future of where the Dunir are headed. The glory of the stone folk lives forever!

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Dünir race?

Again, super excited. Stoked to have been able to see more, and I am still looking forward to every tidbit of info and imagery we can get our hands on. I am as enthused as ever to hop into the world of Verra as a Dunir!

As well as the above questions, I'd like to add that I am always appreciative of the hard work the Dev team puts into the world we all hope to inhabit! Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    a classic thicc Dwarf look 10/10
    pzzzk4y2nv58.png
  • Options
    WarPotatoWarPotato Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the male Dunir are almost perfect, I would just make their legs a bit more stout/beefy.

As for the female Dunir, I also think it's really good, but I think the face is just a bit too slender compared to the rest of the body. Fix that and this is also perfect!
  • Options
    RoadieRoadie Member
    edited February 2022
    I really hope for bigger stomach as an option at least. I would make them more bulkier. I like the muscles on the male but the "V" shaped upper body is just not "fantasy dwarf"y in my opinion.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    SikariZen wrote: »
    These ended up amazing, both male and female look the part.

Curious if this is a "dwarf females can have beards" kind of world or not so much?

The female Dünir can have beards :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    These look absolutely amazing. I think the only thing I might change with the male is MINIMALLY longer legs and a slightly bigger butt. For some reason, the female just didn't jump off the screen the same way the male did for me. I think her face just isn't quite matching what I imagine the female counterpart to the male Dunir to look like. She looks too soft in my opinion, I think she needs a slightly more rugged look. These models look amazing though.
  • Options
    AzhreiAzhrei Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So, a little of this is going to be almost copy/paste for each race.

The detail from UE5 is mind boggling. It really adds just so much depth and intricacy to each race in AoC.

If I were to think of a dwarf....all this is missing is some very specific accent. Spot on dwarfiness.
  • Options
    To me, it just feels like the female Dunir is actually closer to body type with what I expect the female Nikuan to look like.

I want the female Dunir to be closer to Warhammer's Female Dwarves:
    https://imgur.com/a/CdEIXAv

They're seemingly built bigger, thicker and just overall convey more power for the space they're taking up. typical female dwarves (Which is the Dunir) should almost be motherly in a sense. The female Dunir that's here is quite skinny, toned and honestly to me is just closer to what the Nikuan is supposed to be.

Yes the face on those, especially the first drawing, are 100% what I was expecting for the Female Dunir. Would love to see them go more in that direction and the description of "motherly" is spot on.
  • Options
    You've done a heck of a job with facial features and skin pigmentation. I'll make one of these for sure.