Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Py'rai Female & Male Concept & 3D models - 2022

Comments

• Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the new design! I always planned on maining Py'Rai and I wasn't expecting anything but wow, now I want to play one even more. <3

(Subject to change) features for Py'Rai:
    -Antler size and can also be asymmetrical
    -changes due to weather and day night (bioluminescence and even flowering)

I'm sure there will be sliders to adjust size of antlers and ears since that seems to be some people's biggest qualms. I also imagine that the Empyrean will be the regal, sophisticated Elf that everyone is used to. Give me all the fantasy and antlers >=D
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options
    This is not really my type of race but I like the design. Can the person that designed this race do them all? Especially the tulnar (my favorite). I like the the concept and I can generally see where they are going with it.
    Vek: I like it but not my type of race
    Ren'Kai: I love the concept but the ashy skin and small head kind of turn me off. I do really love the orc concept in AOC
    Tulnar: Hope they turn out like this vers the other races
    Other races: wouldn't touch.
    dunir are really cool for a dwarf race
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Zyonna wrote: »
    I hate these elves with every inch of my soul. Antlers and long eyes lashes is beyond trash. I mean disgusting trash. Elves have always been my favorite race in fantasy and just like with the dwarves I desperately wanted traditional elves. You fixed the dwarves but now have completely ruined my favorite race. I did not fall in love with fantasy for the fantastic "creative vision" of random "artists". I don't like or care for that crap. I fell in love with traditional fantasy, please don't ruin this game for me, I was completely hyped for this. Please, PLEASE make the other elves traditional elves. That means no horns, antlers, glowy eyes, giant eyebrows or long necks. They should be lithe, skinny, and beautiful with pointed ears, thats it. Thats an elf. Please don't try to be "creative", your just ruining what I love. MMOs have been so bad lately, please don't ruin this for me.

Just a suggestion is to try and give MATURE constructive feedback and criticism, and then you may see the changes you're looking for. You have a lot of developers reading these threads who have put their time and energy into making this game. As a creative myself in the industry, that type of feedback is not appropriate.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I really like the look. I was expecting wood elves to be boring, but now they’re unique. And the horns that look like branches fit perfectly for a “wood” elf.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    pyreal wrote: »
    Hmm, where have I seen this before?

j3j8am21elbw.jpg

I wish they could have some kind of Deer fur instead of normal skin XD

I would make one so much with big antler and little deer skin like mixt of Bambi and a satyr. But like keeping Human hand and feet
  • Options
    How will helmets interact with the horns?

And what about customizing the antlers in character creation, how much can we move or change the antlers so it keeps fitting into the headgear?
  • Options
    I really don't want to see them make too many changes on what they already showed us....just some normal customization options. After all these are still supposed to be elves....you go too nuts on it and they wouldn't really fit the game anymore. After all they were supposed to have evolved from the same parent race as the Empyrean elves. For the most part I think they got it right.
  • Options
    lunarskylunarsky Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Marcet wrote: »
    How will helmets interact with the horns?

And what about customizing the antlers in character creation, how much can we move or change the antlers so it keeps fitting into the headgear?

They answered a similar question on twitter on this.

signature.png
  • Options
    Very happy there will be an option to hide helmets.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Why are elves breeding with deer?

WRONG.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited March 2022
    pyreal wrote: »
    Why are elves breeding with deer?

WRONG.

It's not a new concept, @pyreal.

Wood elves have antlers in other games (MMO or otherwise).

As mentioned already in the thread -- a toggle to turn them off in character generation (for players that don't enjoy them) would be optimal.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Almost positive they said horns not optional.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Yep, they said you could make them small, but that they were not optional.

I kinda hope they don't go full 'deer people' and leave it more mysterious/up for interpretation. Or dragons. I'd be down with 'dragons'.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

Yep, they said you could make them small, but that they were not optional.

I kinda hope they don't go full 'deer people' and leave it more mysterious/up for interpretation. Or dragons. I'd be down with 'dragons'.

It's not unheard of for dragons to have antlers.

tatiana-makeeva-lung-dragon.jpg?1587451378

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    DargronDargron Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Steven strongly hinted at the Ren'Kai being the ones potentially related to dragons in some way.

As for the Py'Rai, it's worth pointing out that those are not actually "horns" or "antlers" on their heads - they are clearly branches, reinforced by Steven mentioning having them bloom with flowers as one of the potential customisation options. Nothing to do with deer.

• Options
    Dargron wrote: »
    Steven strongly hinted at the Ren'Kai being the ones potentially related to dragons in some way.

As for the Py'Rai, it's worth pointing out that those are not actually "horns" or "antlers" on their heads - they are clearly branches, reinforced by Steven mentioning having them bloom with flowers as one of the potential customisation options. Nothing to do with deer.

Yeah but until we get a wildly popular spin off novel with ten pages worth of people calling them branches and making poor taste vulgarities about how good a Py'Rai's 'wood' looks people are going to keep calling them horns.

Joking aside leaf/bloom horned deer is a common fantasy thematic for majestic forest guardians, so I wouldn't rule it out just based on that. I hope you are right though.

• Options
    Love it! Really want to see the horns remain mandatory.
  • Options
    I see the Py'Rai as being dryads more than elves. Just as the Vek are goblins more than orcs, and the Nikua are more halflings than dwarves.

That's the impression I get. And it's a good impression. It's not like, "These are elves, and these are elves with a different name that wear crappier-looking clothes." That's what I was expecting, honestly. I'm glad that Intrepid went beyond my assumptions.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Nikua are more halflings than dwarves.

Take that back tall boi.

• Options
    ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I really love how fantasy they look. I was really hoping for that Fantasy Wood Elf look, so im excited to see what they've done so far. The antlers are fine and I dont have an issue with the barkish type skin effect. I'd like to see a male PyRai though. With how Steven talks about Character customization, I dont think the ears or antlers will be an issue much, but we'll have to see.
    They did an amazing job on this race and can't wait to play one!
    [img][/img]
  • Options
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?

I appreciate that they are more of a unique look and are not just a human with long ears. I also like that you are willing to make more extreme features that might require more work on the armor to make it work.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?

I am not a big fan of the root/bark feature on the cheeks. It looks ok on the forehead because it blends the horns in more.

What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Py'rai female?

I went from Py'rai not being on my radar for a race I will play to being top 2. I hope we see more customization features soon.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Py'rai female?

See above about the cheek features. I would like to see a slider for the smoothness of the skin. Preferably separate for the cheeks and near the horns.
  • Options
    She is perfect. She is waifu.
    DO NOT CHANGE lol
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2022
    Its nice with an elven race with contrasts to their more tolkien'ish counterparts. Getting dryad vibes which is cool. Option to have plain elf ears (empyrean) and minimal barkskin would be nice!
    Izil.png
  • Options
    azurlazurl Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Love it! gives me a sense of the level of customization.
  • Options
    SnekkersSnekkers Member
    edited March 2022
    Your pyrai concept that u have shown to us complitly didint meet my expectation.. but, ur idea is probb even better than i ever imagined. I love the idea of dryads in the wood with antlers that match weather or season.. woodish skin match the overall concept pretty well to, make sure to add a possibility to customize how "wooden" this skin should be, some ppl would like to have a character that almost looks like forest spirit, but others like me prefer a soft taste of that skin and skill be closer to human/elf like posture (this one on concept art is good enough)
  • Options
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?

I absolutely love that you went your own way with the design of the Pyr'ai, i am pretty tired of the standard look of elves, so this get's a big thumb up for me.

Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?

No.

Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Py'rai female?

I would like to see a variety of horn types and shapes. It could also be very interesting if there was an option to add nature elements to other parts of the body, such as bark like hands and arms.
  • Options
    VetkinVetkin Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
      [*] What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
      -> It's very feminine with the long eyebrows, the eyeliner and the big lips. Also, the jewelry is really unique and absolutely fits the overall style. Same goes with the horns. The race reminds me of the Sylvari from Guild Wars 2 which I also really love.

[*] Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
      -> Actually not, I really, reeeeeeeeally like it!

[*] What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Py'rai female?
      -> I really like the fact that the uniqueness of the Py'rai doesn't stop with the look itself. The devs talked e.g. about blooming horns or some kind of bioluminescence which would add another creative flavour to this race. Something that sets it apart from the others.

[*] Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Py'rai female?
      -> Customizable horns, various variants for the long ears, maybe even unique jewelry that is only wearable with such long ears and/or horns
    • Options
      nonameftwnonameftw Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
      I think the overall style of having nature elements directly fused into their body is similar to the Sylvari of Guild Wars 2. It is certainly an aspect that should be explained in the game in some way. I like it though.

An Idea for character customization could be to be able to lean more or less into these nature elements to the point that a character maybe wouldn't have eyes, ears, a nose or a mouth. Just a thought.

One thing I dislike which is the same thing like with the "troll" race we've seen before, is that the skin is to shiny imo which gives it a comic look. The skin should have more detail. AoC goes for a relatively realistic art style from what I have seen so for in the world. So the characters should look life-like imo.
      “Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.”
    • Options
      Serena VenportSerena Venport Member, Alpha One
      I love the look of the race, the only thing I would adjust is making the horns come out of the skin more seamlessly.
    • Options
      I HECKING LOVE IT .. L O V E ! ! ! .. When i heard yall say you were gonna put a twist on the elf race for PyRai my heart sank b.c i was scared what it would be, considering i was already planning to main PyRai ... but good lord yall hit it out of the park ... its so amazing! Its everything i didn't know i wanted!
      pzzzk4y2nv58.png